News >> Browse Articles >> Crime News

Man ticketed for driving 102mph as wife was in labor

100_0456_sq90_max50

115

Source: Union Leader

January 05, 2011

I can understand why he was going so fast. I did something similar a few years ago when my girlfriend ended up in a bad accident after leaving my home at 1 in the morning. I felt bad about and sped the whole way up to her so I could make sure she was okay. No traffic around.

• Images_max160_sq90_max50

t1401hm

TrafficCop, I guarantee you that if the same thing presented itself again, he'd probably speed even without a license.

• 20552_1343137337912_1215571721_31006460_5991340_n_max50

TrafficCop28

The issue here is that knucklehead is going to have his license revoked, as it should be. He was almost driving twice the posted speed limit!

• Vpsomourningband_max50

DonnaLynn

At least the trooper congratulated him on the birth of his son then gave him his gift! What a moron.

• Me2__1__max50

Avacop310

I don't see why he didn't call 911 from the beginning. What if there were complications such as shoulder dystocia, then what? If she was so worried about delivering on the side of the road, and birth was really that imminent, then a fast ambulance ride would have been safer, faster, and *gasp* the smart thing to do. I say good job on the trooper's behalf and this man should just pay up and learn from this incident.

• Img_3413_sq90_max50

cops1521

I saw this on the news and an interview with the Father and Mother. He admitted he had no idea he was going so fast but thought that when he got to court it would be thrown out because of the circumstances. The news show were all surprised the Trooper ticketed him. Not one person said anything about how dangerous it was going over 100 miles an hour! I kept saying how was he helping his wife and baby about to be born if they crashed? He is fortunate that all he got was a ticket. People could have been killed. He did not even realize that he was going that fast, which means he was not aware of his surroundings. What if a person, car, etc pulled out in front of him? LEOs have been killed driving that fast and they have been trained on driving at high speeds and evasive driving, I'm sure this guy has not. I hope the Court doesn't dismiss the charges.

• Images_max160_sq90_max50

t1401hm

I like this line: "Congratulations on your son. Here's your ticket."

Police officer showed excellent quick thinking. Well done.

The father was definitely wrong, but I can imagine how scared he was about this whole child-birth thing. I'd say, double the fine and remove the points.

• In_remembrance_of_oakland_pd_max50_max50_max50_max50_max50

rhood

This young father placed himself along with his wife and child at great risk by driving at those speeds. I am quite sure that he has no formal training to operate a vehicle at those speeds. The best choice would have to involve EMS right from the start. He should take the ticket and fine and be thankfull that all ended well.

CALL 911 NEXT TIME? AT 102MPH, TIX ISSUED SEE YA IN COURT, WATCH YOURSELF GETTING BACK INTO TRAFFIC.

Hanscon_park_2_2013_max30
SE851 commented on: "Rafael Flores", 1 minute ago.
Hanscon_park_2_2013_max30
SE851 commented on: "Tom W. Brenna", 1 minute ago.
Hanscon_park_2_2013_max30
SE851 commented on: "Brad Schneider", 1 minute ago.
Hanscon_park_2_2013_max30
SE851 commented on: "ACopAdmirer", 2 minutes ago.
Hanscon_park_2_2013_max30
SE851 commented on: "sgtgopd", 2 minutes ago.