News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

Gwinnett Police Lose Radar Certification As Result Of Government Disagreement

Gwinnett Police Lose Radar Certification As Result Of Government Disagreement

Video Capture

Atlanta Journal Constitution via YellowBrix

January 04, 2011

GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. – Police in Gwinnett County won’t be using laser guns to catch speeders on the roads—at least for now. The change came January 1 because of a disagreement among several government agencies.

Officers say they’re making adjustments to the way they do their jobs. Radar and lasers are now no longer an option for police in Gwinnett County, Norcross, Lilburn, Lawrenceville and other cities within the county.

Certification for the devices was pulled by the state after county and city leaders failed to agree on a mandated, once-every-10-years agreement on service.

Gwinnett County Police Cpl. Edwin Ritter told FOX 5 radars and lasers are just another tool for officers. He said they’re working around it.

Some motorists told FOX 5 they think some people will try to take advantage of the change, and that could make things more dangerous on county roads.

Cpl. Ritter says one option officers may look to for catching drivers who exceed the speed limit is to use unmarked cars to case vehicles on the road. That way, police could track speeds of drivers around them, and they could do the same by using a helicopter from above.

According to Cpl. Ritter, if you see a police car doing the speed limit on the roads around you, you should do the same.

There’s no word on how long the ban on radars and lasers will last. The case is currently in the court system and until that’s resolved, police will have to use other methods.

• Steve_mcqueen_max50

ilegworldchamp

Ge , why bother having a "CERTIFIED SPEEDOMETER" if your not using it ?

kadan

Of all the idiotic things.... let's make it harder for the officers to do their job, they have such an easy time now...NOT this is stupid someone with a brain needs to step in and do something about this, obviously the state doesn't give a damn, Jonas I couldn't have said it better myself!

• My_kids_027_max50

grant319

When they see the accident rate go up due to speeding problems somebody will have to do something. Yeah a helicopter and "chase" car will be nice, but as we all know too well they are never around when you really need them and when the county gets the operating bill they will stop that too.

• Bald-eagle-in-flight_860_max50

GrayPanther

Remind me not to drive through Gwinnett county.

• Ba_old_glory_max50

Jonas

I came to the conclusion today that the only difference between criminals and most politicians is their elected status.

Man that is not cool at all. It is rather unfortunate that the media got a hold of this because I feel it will tell people to go ahead and speed you may not get caught. I agree with UncleDennis, as using a stopwatch is affective.

• Michael_max50

Archangel72

Insanity I tell you!

• Police_link_badge_max50

HEYSARGE

This should of never happened!!

• Me_in_med_19_max50

Ynkefan1

they left out the fact that GSP is permitted to continue using laser/radar w/in the confines of the county. also depts like suwanee are using the speed trailer and posted radar signs for speed control. stupid politicians at work once again

• White_shirt_max50

uncledennis1

I know I am showing my age with this comment. Stop watches will also work.

• Clone_trooper_max50

lkdavis71

Politicians. Can't see what is going on with their heads "in a dark place".

• Battering-ram-full_max50

OlSkoolBlu89

It's been like that for year's here. The only LE agency using radar/laser is PSP, municipal police officer's are not authorized to use laser/radar but they use VASCAR and it seems to be as effective but not as mobile.

• French_avatar_max50

fletc

Guys, I've got to say that in those areas most of the enforcement seems to lean more toward revenue generation rather than actual safety concern and their absence doesn't bother me at all. It also seems that Cpl Ritter isn't up on current GA law as we can't use unmarked units for traffic enforcement any more. Now before all my brothers jump on me for not caring about the lasers and radars I have to say that I have never worked straight traffic and only on rare occasions did I make a traffic stop where my suspicions were traffic related only. When I was on the road I was K9 So my view point may be different than many here in that respect.

• Untitledma28839986-0002_max50

Irishcop1961

Politics at its best. Wait until they see how much money they will be losing on speeding tickets and they will change there tune.

Remind me not to drive through there anytime soon...

1211120858_max30
FreezeP commented on: "Driver stops to help ducklings, gets ticket", 4 minutes ago.
Anonymous-killer-whale-232189_1__max30
Whalewatcher commented on: "David Simms", 30 minutes ago.
Gods_team_max30
IowaNinersFan gave a thumbs up to The Article "2 arrested in Jonesboro SWAT team incident", about 2 hours ago.
Gods_team_max30
IowaNinersFan commented on: "2 arrested in Jonesboro SWAT team incident", about 2 hours ago.
Gods_team_max30
IowaNinersFan submitted the article: "2 arrested in Jonesboro SWAT team incident", about 2 hours ago.