News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

Wear Your Vest: Officer's Life Saved During Shootout

Wear Your Vest: Officer's Life Saved During Shootout

The Denver Post via YellowBrix

January 04, 2011

NORTHGLENN, CO — Northglenn police found the homeowner with a gunshot wound after using a robot to enter the house early Tuesday morning.

Northglenn police officer Dennis Alps was trying to serve a warrant when he was shot Monday evening.

“One of our officers was shot in the upper arm. Also another round, I was told, hit almost in the center of his body armor, in his chest,” said Northglenn Police Chief Russell Van Houten.

Alps was one of several officers who went to a house in the 1400 block of Bowman Place near Irma Drive, looking for Anderson. Police also had a search warrant for the address.

“When officers received no answer at the door, they breached the door and as soon as they got inside, gunfire came from inside the home, striking one of our officers,” Van Houten said.

“(Alps) was transported by ground ambulance down to Denver Health. He’s been in the emergency department. And my understanding is if he hasn’t already been released he’s going to be released and go home.”

Anderson, 40, is accused of attempting to lure a 13-year-old girl for sex over the Internet. He faces charges of Internet sex exploitation of a child, child inducement and Internet luring of a child.

Anderson pleaded guilty in 2009 to similar charges filed in Jefferson County, according to Colorado court records.

The SWAT team was called out a little after 6:45 p.m. Monday, and officers surrounded the home. Some neighbors were told to stay inside their homes, while others were evacuated.

After several hours with no communication from the suspect, police sent a robot into the house at about 1:30 a.m. on Tuesday.

“The robot went in, went up the stairs and found the deceased male’s body inside,” said Van Houten.

Investigators believe Anderson had been dead for some several hours.

Officials say Anderson’s home was in foreclosure and the utilities had been shut off for some time.

• 20552_1343137337912_1215571721_31006460_5991340_n_max50

TrafficCop28

Why am I not suprised to see a habitual offender committing the same crimes! Geesh! Body armor saves lives. If you or your co-worker isn't wearing one, you're going to be a victim. Large departments or small departments, it doesn't matter. People are declaring war upon us!

• Vpsomourningband_max50

DonnaLynn

Speedy recovery to the officer. Big bump to wearing your vest!

• Headshot_max50

HeadShot

there are still some old-school guys in my dept that refuse to wear their vests. the little bit of discomfort is well worth the time I get to spend with my family and friends.

• Dolphins_fantasy_max50

dolphinblue

Wishing Officer Alps a speedy recovery.

• Img_0103_max50

LAWMANTUKES

I pray for a speedy recovery for Police Officer Dennis Alps. And as for the evil waste of human DNA that shot him, "you got what you asked for....."

• Img_0103_max50

LAWMANTUKES

I can tell you that during the many years that I have enjoyed working as a Police Officer, I have probably worn my vest 90% of the time. However, as I reflect upon all those times that I didn't, I sometimes wonder was I flirting with death or great bodily harm by not doing so. So now I say to myself; "Why tempt fate..??" And so from now on, I have made a better choice in my decision towards wearing it. I now wear it everytime that I put on my uniform. And now at least my loved ones and friends, breathe a little easier nowing I do this. Bottom line is; If you don't wear it for yourself, at least wear it for those who love you....

Please be careful out there my borthers and sisters.

• Angel_kincaid_park_2014_max50

AKangel

AMEN on the vest, speedy recovery to the officer stay safe out there

If you put on a badge and a gun, the vest needs to be part of the process. Prayer for a speedy recovery to Officer Alps.

• My_kids_027_max50

grant319

We pray for a speedy recovery for the injured officer.

• Bald-eagle-in-flight_860_max50

GrayPanther

Glad the Officers are okay. Yet another reason to always wear your BPV.

• 100_1019_max50

bobska

Glad to hear the Officer is alive. Remember to always vest up, no matter what the call is. Stay safe my fellow brothers and sisters!!

• Ba_old_glory_max50

Jonas

Praying for a real quick recovery. Telling Officers to wear their vests is the same as making the "move over" law for citizens. This is a no brainer boys any girls. How many of you out there got no brains???

• 14600_10200352713679693_171098802_n_max50

ImpdsAngel

Speedy Recovery For the officer hurt, Proof is in the pudding..just another reason to wear the vest !!!! Amen Saves Lifes

• 2011_range_day_2-19-10_max50

USLawman1983

Prayers for a speedy recovery. Glad he was wearing his body armor. Warriors never enter the field of battle without their shield.

I can't believe anyone would not wear it. I was lucky to have one when I started, many moons ago, because not everyone had them and some officers had to buy their own. It's not 100% but its better than none!