News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

375956_401447159923274_1109023972_n_max50

Eilene

Source: www.boston.com

January 02, 2011

• 20552_1343137337912_1215571721_31006460_5991340_n_max50

TrafficCop28

Folks, the dangers posed when we are assisting disabled vehicles, investigating traffic collisions, on traffic stops can not be emphasized enough. Start thinking outside of the box on ways to protect yourself. I like to think that being inside my patrol car with my emergency lights activated and the traffic advisor on should be enough for the knuckleheads out there to avoid striking my patrol car. However, I know that I'm not superman compared to my brothers and sisters who are getting seriously injured in collisions. All, I know is that I've got to do more. this means increasing distance between my vehicle and the vehicle in front which I am charged in protecting. I'll probably start turning my wheels away from traffic to try and deflect my vehicle for when my day does happen, luckily in my twenty years it hasn't, but it may in the next 20. It's daytime, sunny and visability is perfect, this doesn't stop me from using traffic cones or flares. I hate, repeat hate, wearing reflective vests. I may go out and buy the ugliest green vest with more reflective stripes than a pumper from the local fire department. I'm a street cop, but if my patrol car doesn't have a push bar, I'm going to moan until I get one. My and the motorist's safety is worth pushing a vehicle out of traffic and compensating the "disabled motorist" for the scuffs on their bumper. What's the price of safety? Or a life? Yeah, exactly. Who else has some ideas that might help me and your fellow LEO safety?

michael4532923 gave a thumbs up to The Topic "retired or current officers", 2 minutes ago.
michael4532923 posted: "retired or current officers", 2 minutes ago.
michael4532923 posted in: "retired or current officers", 2 minutes ago.
1st_pic_i_sent_u_max30
ilevy007 received a gift , 4 minutes ago.
1st_pic_i_sent_u_max30
ilevy007 received a gift , 7 minutes ago.