News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

Abducted Va. Girl, Kidnapper Found in San Francisco

Abducted Va. Girl, Kidnapper Found in San Francisco

Brittany Mae Smith, 12, of Virginia was found unharmed Dec. 10, four days after her mother was found dead.

AP via YellowBrix

December 11, 2010

ROANOKE, Va. (AP) – Investigators say a 12-year-old Virginia girl who had been missing for one week was found unharmed after someone recognized her in a store in San Francisco and called police.

Police in Roanoke say Brittany Mae Smith was found Friday afternoon outside the store by police, who also took into custody the man who had been sought in her abduction.

Roanoke County police said Brittany did know here mother had been found dead.

The man arrested in San Franciso is Jeffrey Scott Easley. He had been the live-in boyfriend of Brittany’s mother, Tina Smith. She was found dead on Monday.

• 2010-10-03_17

Migs

Very happy to know she was found unharmed!

• Ssgt_max50

AFGuy1227

Glad she was found. Nice to know some people still pay attention to Amber Alerts and don't hesitat to call police.

kareen

Glad she was found.

• Anonymous-killer-whale-232189_1__max50

Whalewatcher

I was fearing the worst after 48 hours had gone by and there was no news. Glad she wasn't hurt ( no mention whether there was any sexual assault, though ) and really glad the POS that took Brittany is in custody, as well.

• Thcaf6zgyj_max50

LanaNJ

I'm Not blaming the Mom for this, alot of people (like myself) always try to give people the benefit of the Doubt. This way of thinking(esp. at my job) Has came back to kick me in my A**. I feel bad for the Child, She has Lost her Mom and been through a horrible Ordeal. I'm going to guess she is Not telling Police b/c I believe the POS has Manipulated her, I've know Victims of Sexual Assualt that have not spoke about their ordeals until 9+ years later. Good thing her, he's going down for Murder~so I hope someone takes that key and sticks it up his+++

• Thcaf6zgyj_max50

LanaNJ

(quoted) Easley, an ex-landscaper, met Tina Smith online during the summer and moved into her home on Fort Lewis Circle, just outside Salem's western boundary, in October. He and Brittany chatted frequently on Facebook and MySpace social networking websites, mentioning exercising and watching movies together.
    ME/IMO: This is the Perfect Example and reason why Single Parents Should not Introduce their Kids so fast to People they just met especially on the internet(Sheesh). I also believe Single Parents should not rush their kids into meeting someone new b/c their happy for themselves, that can always be done on a MUCH later Date when a person has a little more knowledge on the new "lover" I Stand by Kids being Seperate from Parenst New Affairs and their Love Lives.

• Police_link_badge_max50

HEYSARGE

Glad she was located!!

Ditto gheil. So right!

• 69449_1211356382103_1774586232_374199_4168085_n_1__max50

gheil

Thank God someone was paying attention and didn't talk themselves out of calling the police!!!

• Michigan_20sheriff7_max50

Dep1870

Wow, that's crazy that they made it all the way across the country and she is still alive! Glad she's OK

• Clone_trooper_max50

lkdavis71

Thank God she was found alive.

• Me_last_wk_max50

delano388

great job

Good job.

• 149091_144672058913932_100001134155379_210691_3271368_n_max50

Void

Glad this turned out the way was supposed to. Good job to the officers and everyone who participated on this case.

God Bless You Brittany.I'm sorry for the loss of your Mother and I'm just so happy you are alive and well.As far as for the POS,I hope they rot and worse more for all that had been done to this family.

Gods_team_max30
IowaNinersFan gave a thumbs up to The Article "Customer foils pharmacy robbery at Sarasota CVS", 3 minutes ago.
Gods_team_max30
IowaNinersFan submitted the article: "Customer foils pharmacy robbery at Sarasota CVS", 4 minutes ago.
Gods_team_max30
IowaNinersFan gave a thumbs down to The Article "Police K-9 found dead after shootout in SW Portland", 7 minutes ago.