News >> Browse Articles >> Crime News

Police Detail Worst Case Of Child Abuse Ever Seen

Police Detail Worst Case Of Child Abuse Ever Seen

Elisabeth Crossley | Ruth Cassidy

Bonner County Daily Bee via YellowBrix

December 08, 2010

COEUR D’ALENE, ID— A mother and grandmother face serious felony charges for the reprehensible conditions in which they forced twin toddlers to live.

Elisabeth Crossley and her mother Ruth Cassidy are accused of abuse and neglect at the worst level Coeur d’Alene police say they have ever seen.

Officers arrested Crossley Sunday when her daughters were found living in squalor.

Their grandmother, Cassidy, was taken into custody Tuesday morning.

Now KREM 2 News is learning about the gruesome crimes with which the two are charged.

The girls were covered in their own excrement, with no clothing or diapers on, and bruises all over their bodies.

The abuse is so extreme, officers suspect the girls have brain injuries.

A welfare check revealed heinous conditions at an apartment in Coeur d’Alene. Police found the 2-year-old girls with “feces caked on their arms, legs, hands, feet and even on their necks.”

When the officer walked into the room he says,“I was unable to breathe and began retching. I started to vomit and had to leave the room immediately to choke it back.”

The officer was sent to the house after a passerby, Anthony Brown, noticed the girls laying in filth. Brown says he had nightmares the last couple of nights as a result, and described it as the worst sight he’s ever seen in his life.

The police report shows the mother, Elisabeth Crosslely, and grandmother, Ruth Cassidy, made excuses for the deplorable conditions, saying the girls refused to wear clothes or diapers and misbehaved.

Their mother told police the children would “ram their own bodies into their furniture” and “ram their own heads into walls.”

However, police describe the girls as docile and even silent as they played.

One neighbor says she is appalled to find out about the abuse. She couldn’t believe a mom and grandmother could do something like that to their own children.

The girls are in state protective custody. It wasn’t until they were examined at the hospital that police saw the extent of their injuries.

Reports show both girls had bruises and infected sores all over their bodies.

The officer says it appears they were whipped and extremely dehydrated. One nurse who examined the girls says, “Both children exhibited signs of physical abuse from a ‘skilled abuser,’ who was hurting the girls in locations that would always be hidden by their clothing while in public.”

Police say Crossley and Cassidy argued with police Sunday. Crossley told one officer he was ruining their family and asked, “What about Christmas?”

prendergastgreen

people like this make me sick and what i dont get is that th children protective system dont do nothing but a second chance to ruin the kids more and what happens if there isnt a second chance for those kids tht get released back to the parents. and as for those who say im triyiing and that its hard for me to do this and do that im a single mom bohoo im a single mom of 5 beautiful babies all under 5 i have 2 jobs and find time to spend with my kids i have no family help no government asst. and i live paycheck to paycheck and i have never hit my kids there are other ways of punishment i use the corner and take things away never food or water though but i wouldnt even be looking at his stuff if it wasnt for my college course this is sicking these type of people should endure the same as they do to others people like this dont change trust me i grew up in a very abusive home myself

Dcpd12

Absolutely appalled, I hope that which ever judge tries them, sees past whatever ridiculous psyche defense they try using, and pray they get what they deserve tenfold in prison.

• Zack_s_pics__2_022_max50

SEMIO

Im sick... Valikyte said it all

• Heart_max50

LeahC

Very disturbing...

• Family_pictures_284_max50

thedoddoii

In my daily prayers

• N1023300020_30025442_7610_max50

KAICHARESE

PRAYING FOR THE TODDLERS!

• Juggernaut___max50

TimTheTanker

The "mothers" should get the same treatment, and then far far worse for their actions, or lack therof

• 100_1019_max50

bobska

WTF, I can't believe this shit. They both need to die and rot in hell. I hope the children are ok, this just breaks my heart.

• Image_max50

LCSO_165

You took the words right out of my mouth, Valikyte ....

• Az_coconino_co_sheriff_max50

Valikyte

There is a special place in hell for people like this...

They both need to spend the rest of thier lives in a RUSSIAN jail where they will have to wallow in their own feces!

• 444147_max50

gaoquinn

Lock them up and throw away the key. I am a mother. I raised both of my children as a single mother by choice and my children will tell you they had a wonderful loving childhood. There is no excuse for a mother and a grandmother to do ti to two innocent babies. Throw the book at them. If I was the judge for Andrean yates too, she wouldn't have gotten a insanity case. I would locked her & her husband up who is now remarried & living happily why his 5 chilren ae lying in their grave. Both of the parents should have been charged one for murder and one for conspiricy because he knew he was not treating his wife in a way he was suppose too. Neglecting his family so he should have been charged too. These two women are sorry pieces of words I don't use.

Absolutely disgusting!!!!!!

• Stmaarten2_max50

bumperdog831

what a horrid being! how can it live with itself????

• J0202201_max50

jailer07

They both need to spend the rest of their lives in jail !!!

Afspa_life_member-back_max30
keeneagle commented on: "Carry Haring", 4 minutes ago.
samiyem submitted the article: "Watch Guardians of the Galaxy Full Movie", 9 minutes ago.