News >> Browse Articles >> Officer Down News

Slain Officer Earned 84 Awards During 15-Year Career

Slain Officer Earned 84 Awards During 15-Year Career

Chicago Sun-Times via YellowBrix

November 24, 2010

CHICAGO – The Chicago Police Department identified the off-duty officer shot to death Monday night on the Southwest Side as David A. Blake, a member of the SWAT team.

Blake’s gun and wallet were found in his personal SUV after he was killed inside the vehicle just after 6:30 p.m. Monday in the 2900 block of West Seipp, a dead-end street, officials say.

A cigarette was still in the mouth of the 45-year-old officer, who was a 15-year Police Department veteran, sources said.

An off-duty officer who lives across from the crime scene heard the shots and called 911. He said a man in a black coat and skull cap ran from the scene.

Police planned to look at surveillance cameras in the area surrounding the shooting to see if there was a passenger in the vehicle with Blake.

On Tuesday morning, a source close to the case described the circumstances surrounding the slaying as “baffling” because Blake’s gun and wallet were still in the SUV, indicating it might not have been a robbery.

“We’re following every lead,” one police source said.

Blake, who had served on the SWAT unit for five years, started his career in the Grand Crossing District on the South Side and later worked in the Targeted Response Unit, the public housing unit and the Central District in the downtown area.

During his career, Blake received 84 awards, including 67 honorable mentions, one department commendation and other awards for courageous and distinguished service.

Screen_shot_2010-11-24_at_8

David Blake (Chicago Police Department)

Blake also played for four seasons on the Chicago Police Enforcers football team, which competes with other teams across the country raising money for charity.

Both of his parents are dead. Police released his name Tuesday after contacting an aunt.

LeVaughan Walton said she had known Blake for 30 years.

“Growing up, he always wanted to be a cop,” said Walton, a next-door neighbor of Blake when he lived with his parents, Tommy and Joan, in their home in the 1700 block of West 94th.

Blake was living recently in a town house on the South Side, but he still had the home on 94th and regularly stopped by to take care of things, Walton said.

“He was a loner, but a good person,” Walton said. “David wasn’t a person to trust people. He would not talk to you if he didn’t trust you.”

Police Supt. Jody Weis held a news conference early Tuesday to announce the sad news.

“I’ve been here too many times,” Weis said, urging anyone who had information about the shooting to call (312) 745-8380.

Three other Chicago Police officers — Thomas Wortham IV, Thor Odin Soderberg and Michael Bailey — were murdered earlier this year.

Another officer, Sgt. Alan J. Haymaker, was killed in a car crash in February while he was thought to be responding to a North Side burglary.

• Sfa_iv_max50

revCCBeasley

Job 1:21, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised."

RIP Officer Blake

RIP Ofcr.David A.Blake.May You fly high with The Angels watching over Your Loved Ones and Fellow Officers doing the job You Loved so.I will light A Candle in Your Honor.God Bless You and Your Family Always & Forever.You will never be Forgotten for who You were and all You have done.God Bless You Officer David A.Blake.(This makes no since to me.Why and how cculd such a bad thing happen to such a good Police Officer).

HEYSARGE made the following comments in reference to a 15 year old Asian boy, Henry Dang, who was killed by an off duty officer. Witnesses said the officer had been drinking all day and there is allegations responding officers, including the off duty officers own father, hindered the investigation of one of their own.
    Here is HEYSARGE's comments

"Another one sided story......This is what I would like to know:

1. Who caused the accident? ( Just because they allege speed and drunk driving does not mean this is the causation of the accident )
    2. Why was the 15 yr old riding his bike at midnight ?
    3. Was he wearing a helmet if required?
    4. Did the bicyclist leave a point of safety into the path of the vehicle?
    5. Did the bicyclist have a front facing head light?
    6. Did the bicyclist have all the require rereflector for proper night operation ?
    7. What was the bicyclist conduct prior to the accident, what had he been doing? Drugs or alcohol on board?
    8. What's the parent's responsibility for not having proper supervision and having their son on a bicycle at midnight?
    I guess I could go on but won't, I guess the media just is happy as a lark to bash an off duty police officer!!
    I'm not saying the off duty officer should not take responsibility for what ever actions that contributed to this tragic loss of life but I'm just tired of a one sided story................Gee"

I noticed these comments about policelink after the following story FYI

You know some of your policelink members have a rep for making really hateful comments...You guys should really clean it up. Dumping HEYSARGE would be a good start

This email is just my opinion

• Angel_kincaid_park_2014_max50

AKangel

Rest in Peace Officer Blake, Thank you for your Outstanding Service Sir.

RIP Officer Blake. You did your duty, and did it well. You will be missed.

• Img00004-20100810-0604_max50

county14

Rest in peace, well pray for your family.

Thanks Brother for your Outstanding Service! Our prayers out to your family and the Chicago Police Department.

• Dhs_max50

WACollector

Rest In Peace, Brother.

• Lpd_1__max50

tval999

RIP Officer D. Blake, I know you'll pass your final inspection with flying colors. GOD Bless

Final Inspection

The Policeman stood and faced his God,
    Which must always come to pass.
    He hoped his shoes were shining as brightly as his brass.
    "Step forward now, officer. How shall I deal with You?
    Have you always turned the other cheek?
    To my Church have you been true?"
    The officer squared his shoulders and said,
    "No, Lord, I guess I ain't.
    Cause those of us who carry badges can't always be a saint.
    But I never took a penny that wasn't mine to keep,
    Though I worked a lot of overtime when the bills just got too steep.
    And I never passed a cry for help, though at times I shook with fear.
    And sometimes, God forgive me, I wept unmanly tears.
    I know I don't deserve a place among the people here.
    They never wanted me around except to calm their fear.
    If you've a place for me here, Lord, it needn't be so grand.
    I've never expected or had too much.
    But if you don't, I'll understand."
    There was silence all around the throne where the saints had often trod.
    As the officer waited quietly for the answer of his God.
    "Step forward now, Officer, you've borne your burdens well.
    Come walk a beat on Heaven's Streets. You've done your time in Hell."

-Author Unknown-

• Dolphins_fantasy_max50

dolphinblue

R.I.P.

• Grad_08_044_max50

depgomez

Rip Brother

• Derrick_max50

gradyg

RIP GOD BLESS, like I said death penalty to anyone who kills an Police Officer on or off duty and life in prison for anyone who shoots at an Officer.

ladyharley99

RIP. My prayers goes to his family, friends, and brothers/sisters in blue. I want to point something out about posting totally unacceptable comments, only a loser with no self respect would leave such comments. If you don't have anything positive to say, then don't say anything at all. I also lost many years ago in the line of duty and it feels like it was yesterday. Just know that you are not alone.

• 3225_541527388055_44403931_31987246_224403_n_max600_max50

castlebot

My prayers goes out to the family and the department of Officer Blake. Thank you for serving the community.

• Pic-0246_max50

CPD82

for those of you who may read my first comment and think that it may not make sense, it's because someone obviously created a fake profile & left a comment right before i left mine say how this cop was a fat pig piece of shit who deserved to die and he had it comin to him and went on. it's apparent and i hope his profile was deleted after it being reported. too bad the person who left it didnt care to finish creating a profile but im not surprised he didnt have enough balls to do it.

1979_max30
Robocop33 gave a thumbs up to The Post "What has happened to my Police Link?", 1 minute ago.
000000000000000aaaaaaaaaa_max30
Mrbdguard gave a thumbs up to The Photo "Being surprised", 3 minutes ago.
1979_max30
Robocop33 gave a thumbs up to The Post "What has happened to my Police Link?", 3 minutes ago.
000000000000000aaaaaaaaaa_max30
Mrbdguard gave a thumbs up to The Photo "idiots", 4 minutes ago.
Cruise_2014_max30
BigNTS is ranked No.4 of all-time in PoliceTrivia, 4 minutes ago.