News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

Officer to Be Tried In Dog Shooting Incident

Associated Press

November 23, 2010

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) ― A civilian Army police officer accused in the fatal shooting of a Siberian husky in a Severn dog park is going on trial.

Thirty-two-year-old Keith Shepherd is charged with animal cruelty and firing his gun near homes — both misdemeanors. His attorney plans to argue in the trial set for Friday that the shooting was justified and says Shepherd will give his account of what happened. A judge will decide the case.

The shooting of the dog, known as Bear-Bear, prompted widespread outrage.

Shepherd claims he shot the dog to protect himself, his wife and their dog after the unleashed husky put its jaws around his dog’s neck and the husky’s owners didn’t respond to his requests to control their dog.

Information from: The Baltimore Sun, http://www.baltimoresun.com

(© 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

• Forethought_normal_max50

patchboy

Hello,

I read your post regarding the dog attack. I feel that your personal experience was completely different and your actions were totally justified. I simply feel that this off-duty officer overreacted in that he shot and killed this dog because the dog approached him and his pet and thought the dog "might" attack. The dog did not attack anyone, the officer nor his dog had no marks on them. I think he could've done something to chase the dog away, etc. before resorting to deadly force.

• Jim_and_jeff_max50

CQCtactics

I feel for the Officer. I was in a similar situation years ago at a dog park in Colorado and received the same negative media coverage with tons of cute cuddly pictures of a 85 lb pit bull that I had to kill becasue it attacked my 10 month old Dobie pup. The pit out had my pup by the throat and my dog was going unconcious. I used a folding knife. The Pit Bull died on scene. My dog had to have two surgeries. No charges against me. The other guy (a punk wanna be gang banger) was originally charged with owning a dangerous animal. Later after liberal public outcry, his charges were dismissed. What are you supposed to do? Watch your pet get killed?

• Snoopy_6_max50

Jonas

Sounds to me like darsavmo nailed it........

• Forethought_normal_max50

patchboy

Glad this officer was tried and found guilty. Too bad he only gets probation and his record will be cleared.
    He was in the wrong and he killed this dog for no reason. I feel sorry for the people who lost a member of their family.

• Funny_pictures_56616_max50

DarkBlue

Maryland .................more Liberal Law nonsense. Thank you Liberals for making us all just that much more unsafe.

• Car_004_max50

copper380

2026 Comments

again, suspect grabs innocent person and puts a knife to their throat, lashes toward you, you shoot and kill suspect and no one is hurt......you are a hero........but a cute fuzzy dog with family pics all over the news........something just doesn't seem right here. I live in MD and this scares me............very much!!

• Fake_sunset_max50

arroyol

Ridiculous

• Img_0103_max50

LAWMANTUKES

"Bump" darsavmo

And as I also posted on this article at the time it came out, I said basiclly the same thing..!! And I guess if it were me in this Officer's situation, I'd be on trial too...!!!, for defending my family as well.

• Pug_max600_max50

DALLASCRANE

19386 Comments

Found guilty but no jail time. Done deal.

• Anonymous-killer-whale-232189_1__max50

Whalewatcher

Going to wait & see about this one, but I don't feel too optomistic for the officer. I will hope for the best, however.

• Thinker_max50

darsavmo

Unless there is more to the story, if a loose dog attacks you or your dog that is attached to you by a leash, and the owner of that dog refuses or is unable to gain control of their dog and their dog is causing bodily harm to you or your dog, I believe you have the right to defend yourslef and your dog to include shooting the attacking dog. But, as I remember the shooting was initially ruled justified by the police, but then politics was played here and apparently your right of "self-defense" does not apply once the political card is played...

• Th_detective_max50

Retleo

Was that the sound of the creaking door opening to a huge civil law suit that I just heard?????? Don't show me warm and fuzzy videos of you and your dog at home to prove how "gentle" the dog is. Over the years I have seen far too many dogs act aggressively to people that they did not know only to be told by the owner that the dog is really just a big "Teddy Bear" who wouldn't hurt a fly.....yeah right! Oh, and we were never sent on one of those 6 month dog psychology training or psychic courses in order that we could determine the dog's state of mind as it was tearing someones face off!

• Native_clip_art_4_049_max50

Sheriff_1

Bad news

• Me_max50

danchey05

He was found guilty of both misdemeanors.

npd783

If the owner could not control the dog I do not see the problem in helping the owner out:)

1st_pic_i_sent_u_max30
ilevy007 commented on: "Bryan", 5 minutes ago.
Batman_max600_1__max30
gudercop posted in: "3 Word Response", 8 minutes ago.
Gods_team_max30
IowaNinersFan gave a thumbs down to The Article "jasa seo google, jasa seo terbaik, jasa seo profesional, ...", 32 minutes ago.