News >> Browse Articles >> Crime News

Off-Duty Officer, Would-Be Robber Exchange Gunfire

Associated Press

November 11, 2010

GREENBELT, Md. – An off-duty officer and a would-be robber fired shots at each other, Prince George’s County Police say.

The officer wasn’t injured, and it’s not clear whether the other man was hit.

Police say the armed man approached the off-duty officer around 12:30 a.m. Thursday in Greenbelt and tried to rob him. The officer refused to give up his wallet, and the assailant opened fire. The officer returned fire, and the man fled the scene. Police searched the area but didn’t find anyone.

Police spokesman Cpl. Clinton Copeland says the officer was in street clothes and was driving his personal vehicle. He says the officer fired his department-issued handgun.

Copeland says police are checking hospitals in case someone walks in with a gunshot wound, but so far no one has turned up.

(Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

• Police_mia_weapons_zastavki_com_22517_19_max50

schedir81

Good job to the officer...I would always carry off duty as well. At the moment I do not posses a ccw, but I still exercise my right to concealed carry on my own property.

• 2-8-07_002_max50

jprs89

shame this lacked a toe tag for the punk & a promotion for the officer.......

• Dsc00099_max50

GPD334

@ Heysarge... "lucky" isn't the word, in a situation like this luck isn't a factor; preparedness is more accurate. Always be vigilant and always arm yourself with not only a firearm, but enough ammo (spare mag or 2) to survive a gunfight. Chances are you will be in a shootout not a shooting when off duty.

• Aaa_max50

beejac

Once more an armed off duty officer was saved by being prepared.

• Eagle_and_flag_max50

36TR

Gotta agree: That's why I always carry off duty!!!

• Explorer_pic_27s_025_max50

jane711

Good job to the officer and hope they find the guy

Thats why I always carry off duty...I would feel pretty stupid if a felony happens right in front of me and looking stupid in the court room when the DA ask me. "Are you certified to carry a weapon?...Where was your weapon?...Why didn't you carry a weapon?" Thats of course I live to get to court to look stupid. Always carry brother and sisters in blue. Your own life may depend on it.

• 70748_max50

Stealth4387

This is why I always carry off duty. I'm always shocked when other officers ask me why I carry every where I go and I always point to incidents like this....Always be prepared. I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it!

• Blue_crop380w_max50

DocThomas

Good job by the officer, glad he wasn't hurt!

rsironron

Glad the officer wasn't hurt.

• In_remembrance_of_oakland_pd_max50_max50_max50_max50_max50

rhood

Training and fast reaction saved this officer, hopefully the lowlife is in a ditch somewhere.

• Parkside_crest_new_12-15-08_copy_max50

mmarchesi

As darsavmo said; 'this is a perfect example as to why all LEO's should carry off duty', as should any law abiding citizen. Its about time these POS's get the message that there are Armed and Ready individuals out there who will shoot back if the need should arise.

Good job by the Officer... We can only hope the Oxygen Thief is laying dead somewhere, to be found by some jogger in the morning.

• Untitledma28839986-0002_max50

Irishcop1961

Glad the officer was able to go home.

• Flags_and_stars_max50

djs2v

Good job by the officer.

• Badge_max50

AnchAK

Just goes to show, even when your off duty bad things can and will happen. A cop should always carry a gun off duty.

Meagain_max30
nicolemlawler posted in: "Opinions needed", 12 minutes ago.
NCGirl2009 submitted the article: "Iredell Co. deputies surround dump truck following chase", 13 minutes ago.
Meagain_max30
nicolemlawler gave a thumbs up to The Post "Opinions needed", 14 minutes ago.
jcamp87 received the quiz result of "You passed with flying colors", 16 minutes ago.