News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

K9 Attacks Girl; Teen Bites Back

Associated Press

November 03, 2010

INDIANAPOLIS — It was a story of “girl bites dog” for a teenager who thought she was in a battle for her life with a police K-9.

The dog attacked Natalie Bradley-Wilson outside the Kingdom Hall in the 8200 block of Five Points Road Sunday.

“When it bit me over here again, I ended up biting his neck,” she said.

The 18-year-old felt she was in a struggle for her life with a police K-9 from the off-duty officer’s yard nearby.

“The officer was at his own home, cleaning out his police car. The dog may have been inside the car, ended up outside the car,” said IMPD Sgt. Paul Thompson. “The dog was not on a leash at that time.”

“It jumped back up and got me again. I ended up falling down with the dog,” Bradley-Wilson said.

No one knows why the dog targeted Bradley-Wilson, who was standing in the church parking lot a few hundred feet away, passing other people.

“I ended up falling down with the dog. He started biting me everywhere,” she said.

The K-9’s handler was still in his yard, unaware.

“I had a hold of his collar,” Bradley-Wilson said.

The dog then tore open her forearm.

“Then directed its attention at me here, bit me here. At that point, I was really terrified. If it gets my jugular vein, there’s no way I can survive,” she said.

The teen tried holding the dog’s muzzle shut, then tried biting the dog back to shock it.

“It didn’t act like it even cared that I bit it,” Bradley-Wilson said.

A friend chased the dog off with a briefcase, but not before he was also bitten.

“I started screaming. At that point, I was hysterical,” the victim’s mother said.

Sgt. Thompson said the dog’s handler was remorseful.

“As any handler in an accident would, he felt very badly,” he said.

The victim and her mother want the dog out of service. It’s more likely the officer will take the heat.

“This is what we consider an accident, but does not take away responsibility from the handler,” Sgt. Thompson said.

“To me, it just seemed to feel like an eternity the dog was on me,” the girl said.

The investigation into the incident is ongoing.

• Team_opca_max50

dhuitt

Sad situation. I hope for a speedy recovery for the girl and her friend. Unfortunate incident for the Officer. But, it is his responsibility just as if he would have left a loaded weapon unattended. And, if you are unloading your car, how do you not know where your dog is? There's more to the story than what was written by the media. A police canine isn't unstable or prone to attack random people. If they did, they are immediately disqualified from service and certification.

USCGA

in response to Mr Clean:

Deuteronomy 21:18-21

"If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. They shall say to the elders, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard." Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death."

Yes, this is in the bible.

makes as much sense as Mr Cleans comment !?!?!

• Car6_max50

Ahi

1990 Comments

sad to hear

• Img_2229_max50

MississippiRick

I just feel like so many others have said that there is way more to this story than is being told.

• Surfer_dog_max50

mr_clean

This dog has definitely had it's day. Do the public a favor and put it down. Although it appears that this girl may have been "loitering" in a Church parking lot, she was following what Hebrews 10:25 says: "not forsaking the custom, but encouraging one another." Can you really say you encourage someone if you don't speak with them? She was actually associating with her Congregation & also applying John 13:35 "By this all will know that you are my disciples if you have love among yourselves." This is where more of our youths need to "loiter" at Church, instead of getting themselves caught up in drugs, unwanted prego's or other illegal activities.

• Tigerstripe_002_max50

Daysend

Heh like someone said below, he could have hit off some residuals and not having a handler. Went on his own accord waiting for the eventual commands that never arrived.

• Tigerstripe_002_max50

Daysend

Sad for all involved. Youd never know why it happened. Her scent/perfume. Is there any trainning/temperment testing to see whatd happen when the k9s find themselves unattended in a public setting?

• Img_2229_max50

MississippiRick

hahaha...NO one walks past a K-9 car casually Drummadude. I have had people messing around my car windows, and when asking why they just said they wanted to see if the dog would really bark...DUH!!!!!!!!

• Sfa_iv_max50

revCCBeasley

I am missing something here...Maybe it me and my glasses.

101

$Cha Ching$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

USCGA

They should put the dog to sleep. like they would any other dog that did that if it wasnt a police dog. Police dog is no exception. the dog should not have attacked unless given the command by his trainer. The dog is unstable. I have been around police trained k9's for years and a friend of mine is one of the top trainers for the state of NJ, trains NJSP plcie dogs , and has a few of his own, ( he is an officer) , and his dogs are gentle as can be around me and around children, I also own my own dogs, Rottweiler, Pit bull, English mastiff,and a Jack russel. None of my dogs would attack without orders or without provication, Ie- a burgular or a home invasion. Unless this girl provoked the animal, then it should not have attacked, or left its owners side. I blame a faulty animal or more than likely improper training procedures. Even so, animal should not have attacked own it's own with no trainer present. Imagine this girls lawsuit now.

• Jpd_new_max50

PETE114

Sad situation. Regardless if the K9 was prevoked or not, it's still the handler's responsibility to make sure his partner is not put into this type of situation. Just like the handler not sending their partner on a "suicide mission" against an armed subject, it's still the handlers ultimate responsibilty to maintain that dogs life and to protect others. This is a wake up call to all handlers about complacency. Stay safe and speedy recovery to the girl. Thoughts of support go out to the handler too.....it could happen to any handler.

• Rcmp_max50

Highland2010

Poor girl, when an animal is trained to take down people, i think that certain precautions are to be in place around these types of animals. Special restrictions should be brought down, although an accident, it should have been prevented.

Best wishes to both the officer and the victim.

msjelia

I will agree that the dog should have been secured,but there are a few missing pieces first the officer was cleaning his car, second the girl was in a church parking lot when she was attack, how far is the church from the the officer house, if one believes the girl was provoking the dog and if one believs she had drugs , how far can these dogs smell, and as mention the handler did not hear the screams which make me believe he was not outside or his house and the church are in far apart.
    Either way I wish both parties the best

"Provocation" is not always intentional! Just sad all the way around, but too many 'possibilities' for a snap judgment either way. See this big girl who is my avatar? She could just as easily have been in such an incident if someone had made the error of reminding her of the person who abused her. The dog in this incident was being a K9 (out of context!) and the girl was walking in the same general area. This is one story that I will try to follow for outcome but I sure hope that nobody involved, including the officer, has major life trauma as a result.

110520-f-jz021-208_max30
kirkley92 is ranked No.1 for the day in PoliceTrivia, less than a minute ago.
110520-f-jz021-208_max30
kirkley92 is ranked No.1 for the day in PoliceTrivia, less than a minute ago.
110520-f-jz021-208_max30
kirkley92 is ranked No.1 for the day in PoliceTrivia, 1 minute ago.
110520-f-jz021-208_max30
kirkley92 is ranked No.1 for the day in PoliceTrivia, 1 minute ago.
110520-f-jz021-208_max30
kirkley92 is ranked No.1 for the day in PoliceTrivia, 1 minute ago.