News >> Browse Articles >> Crime News

LAPD: Gang Fueled Shot That Killed Boy, 5 on Halloween

LAPD: Gang Fueled Shot That Killed Boy, 5 on Halloween

Aaron Shannon, 5, in his back yard in Los Angeles as he ran around in his Spiderman costume [Personal Photo | LAPD]

San Jose Mercury News via YellowBrix

November 03, 2010

LOS ANGELES—Police detectives on Tuesday sought the public’s help in finding a pair of suspects who opened fire into a backyard caught in a gang turf war, killing a 5-year-old boy as he showed off his Halloween costume.

The suspects believed members of a rival gang lived at the boy’s South Los Angeles home, but the family has no gang ties, Detective Chris Barling told The Associated Press.

Two gangs—the Kitchen Crips and Swan Bloods—have been battling over the area, detectives said.

The boy, Aaron Shannon Jr., died at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center on Monday night, a day after he was shot, police said. He had been declared brain-dead earlier in the day, his grandfather said.

“Every homicide angers me, but a 5-year-old on Halloween getting ready—that just tears at my heart,” police Capt. Dennis Kato told KTTV-TV.

The boy’s uncle, Terrence Shannon, 27, was hit in the wrist and his grandfather William Shannon, 56, was hit in the left leg. Neither of their injuries were considered serious.

His grandfather has said Aaron had run into the back yard to flex his mock muscles for pictures in his Spider-Man costume before he left for a party.

Two men, who police have described only as black and in their 20s, walked into the alley.

William Shannon said he nodded to the men, but had never seen them before, and then they started firing.

The city is offering $75,000 for information leading to suspects.

• Police_mia_weapons_zastavki_com_22517_19_max50

schedir81

Pardon me for being so blunt...but gangs just piss me off...

• Prayer_max50

Hicks351

My prayers go out to this family.

• Radio2_max50

FireDad

I just found out that there were 2 suspects arrested for the shooting.. I hope the 2 suspects go to prison for a long, long time.. May the little boy Rest in Peace..

• Lions_at_rest_max50

lioness

May God Bless the family in this huge hurt and guide Law Enforcement to find these suspect(s) for justice.

• Radio2_max50

FireDad

kikboxfan.. check your inbox.. also your last comment has been deleted..

• Photo_user_banned_big

sfs_operator

What a precious baby...so sad

• Photo_user_banned_big

sfs_operator

I totally agree that this is a horrific tragedy. The persons responsible for this precious little boys death should be caught and punished to the fullest extent of the law. I believe the death penalty is appropriate. We need to crack down on gang infested areas and do whatever it takes to take our communities back from these criminals. This is a horrific tragedy that we need to deal with to the fullest extent of the law. I am a military vet and SWAt guy still for many years. Lets take our streets back. Poor lil guy.

That said This is a law enforcement site...As such we need to be professional when we post comments that the general public can read and hold against us...I am a MSgt, FTO with several instructor Certs. I teach all my students to maintain your decorum and be professional at all times or you lose credibility. With perps and citizens.
    In my opinion Kikboxfox's comments are not apprpriate. We cant let the public see us use that kind of language.
    The "I just lose it when I'm pissed" is an unacceptable mindset for law enforcement professional.
    Kikboxfox, I understand your frustration but do not condone your language.

In my personal opinion, your remarks should be gone

a4mermp

RIP little buddy!

a4mermp

kikboxfox - - - - - - - You said it! We see this every day ... the decay of America. I did not serve in Iraq to come home to this. Instead of spending billions of $$$ on sending our brave troops to places that could care less about themselves, we could spend half that on protecting our home soil from worthless ingrates like gangs. Can you just imagine what a "Delta Force" team could do in 24 hours in LA?

canemah

Bump RETLEO. Rest in Peace little guy. Retleo had it right. the scum that did this are no better than, and deserve the same protections, as a rabid dog. This gang shiite has gone on for far too long and it has only gotten exponentionally worse in spite of all the dedicated programs and task forces. Doing it the "right" way just doesn't seem to be working. When it comes to scum like these, shoot on sight works for me. Just like a rabid dog.

RIP, AARON SAD STORY

• Image008_max50

PNUT

This one hurt in my heart. Poor little guy. I only wish that any and all gangs were declared as the terrorists that they are and hunted down, eliminated from society. Gang members are enemies of the people of the world. I'd volunteer for that mission, that's how much I despise gangs and the lowlife punks who join them.

kristinahewitt

RIP...Aaron...You're precious life was taken to soon...You can rest asure the two cowards that took you life will be caught and punished.

• Flags_and_stars_max50

djs2v

What a sad story. I hope they catch these two idiots! RIP Aaron

• Angel_kincaid_park_2014_max50

AKangel

This just tears me up, This lil man looks just like my 5 year old grandson, Spiderman costume and all, I just sat here and cried, I cannot even imagine loosing my lil man. My Prayers go out to his parents, grandparents family, friends.
    Godspeed Young Aaron "Spiderman" Rest in Peace.
    Thank you for the happiness you brought to this world.

samiyem submitted the article: "Watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Full Movie", 8 minutes ago.
Afspa_life_member-back_max30
keeneagle commented on: ds81's photo: "lajolla", 9 minutes ago.
Afspa_life_member-back_max30
keeneagle commented on: ds81's photo: "wolf", 10 minutes ago.
Afspa_life_member-back_max30
keeneagle commented on: ds81's photo: "original pencil drawing bf dropped coffee on bottom oops", 11 minutes ago.
Afspa_life_member-back_max30
keeneagle commented on: ds81's photo: "dan 32", 11 minutes ago.