News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

Police Officer With Gun is Denied Voting Right

Police Officer With Gun is Denied Voting Right

Associated Press

November 01, 2010

BANGOR — A Bangor police officer says he wasn’t allowed to cast his ballot when an election warden refused to let him vote while wearing his service revolver.

James Dearing said he was patrolling his beat Friday when he stopped to vote at the Bangor Civic Center. He said that’s where warden Wayne Mallar said he couldn’t vote unless he turned over his weapon.

Dearing refused, and then wrote a letter to Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap. Dunlap told the Bangor Daily News yesterday there is no state law prohibiting officers from carrying firearms while voting.

Mallar told the paper he wouldn’t comment other than to say he has the right to make determinations about safety.

For his part, Dearing said he wants two things — for the warden to admit he made a mistake, and to cast his vote.

• Photo_user_banned_big

hydroponic3

Interesting read, I feel it's important to know about these things.

• 7218_1111435235012_1500825897_30293083_527104_n_max50

Cetansapa

Wow! I know how some LEOs are in my area and some that I have hung out with and still hang out with...they'll remember a face and name and spread the word...hate to be him if he gets pulled over shall we say any traffic violation that can be applicable would be and if he calls for help because of a problem with a neighbor, that he might be viewed as the cause of the problem regardless? Good job to Ofcr. Dearing for sticking to his guns and not surrendering! I know there must be an officer out there (rookie) that would have probably followed his dumb arse objective.

• Larry_apache_dist_13_max50

AHP3611

Next time where a New Black Panther uniform and carry a night stick and they might let you vote, lol.

• Dsc02474_max50

nitropyro3

Ridiculous!! Both this story and the people on here making comments. This is a LEO forum. For all you posers and cop haters, LEAVE!!!!!! YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE AND WE DONT GIVE A RATS ASS TO HEAR WHAT YOUR IGNORANT MOUTH HAS TO SAY!!!!!

• Vpsomourningband_max50

DonnaLynn

To armyag... you are kidding, right? So, as I am working a 12 hour shift or on my way home, according to you, I cannot stop at my polling place for 5 minutes and vote? I have watched nurses, doctors, plumbers, firemen, various government officials, clerks etc. (some of these professions wear uniforms) vote during their "business" day! I'll leave my firearm at home when hell freezes over. General voter turn out for any given election is 35 percent of the voting population... and you would have that number drop because NO ONE CAN VOTE during their work day?- Only being fair with this question because if I can't vote during my work day then no one can. We get breaks during our work day. We also put in a lot of overtime that goes unpaid/uncompensated by staying a few minutes late to help someone by answering a few questions. And what about when we do end our day and decide to stop at the grocery store or where ever, we get stopped and asked questions, told a hard luck story, asked advice. We are on 24/7 365 and are one of the lowest paid, highest stressed, over worked professions and you want us to not vote while on duty. Former LEO my arse, you were never a LEO. Wearing a uniform and badge does not make one a LEO.

SassyAngel... LMAO!!!

Nice...Yea we wouldnt want the Officer to "influence" the criminal with his firearm..This a$$clown might as well move way across the state or out of state.. I will probably have better odds of winning lotto faster than he will get police assistance after this stunt.

On a serious note though...With the professionalism the Bangor PD has shown throughout this situation, this jerkoff will still be treated with that same courtesy and professionalism. (which he should have shown to Officer Dearing)

• Ship_patch_max50

KB3MMX

Again, a LE officer is the target of some hatred filled far left political zealot with a extremist agenda.

This is truly another disgusting display of "gun control" IDIOCY !!

SHAME ON YOU WAYNE MALLAR !!

• 181601_max50

DonnaD

WTG Officer Dearing, I know in Pa. the only people that are allowed to carry a fire arm are law enforcement officers.

• 014_max50

securetexas

Hats off to Ofc. Dearing for standing up to the "Warden"

• Acpd_mourning_patch_max50

CatHandcuffs

I almost always vote in uniform as the polling place is on my way home, and I have NEVER heard anyone comment that my sidearm somehow influenced anyone's vote! That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard, and after 15 years on the job I have heard a lot of stupid stuff! Sounds like typical cop-hating bull crap from someone who clearly doesn't get enough love at home.......

Sassyangel

What the hell??? When Warden Mallar calls 911 in the middle of the night because someone has broken into his home maybe he would like Officer Dearing to turn over his firearm before responding and entering!

• Vbpd_shoulder_patch_max50

NAVY2VBPD

to BURSRKR, you are right on. If he were a LEO he would know that.

• Images_max160_sq90_max50

t1401hm

Um...what?? How does a person in uniform influence other voters? What type of illegal substance are they smoking? Did I miss something? Was his squad car painted all red or all blue?
    Sounds to me that the "warden" had something against the police.

• Img_4167_max50

WWeiss

If this would have happened to me, here in Florida, I would have immediately relieved the "warden" of his duties, and if he refused, I would have arrested him on the spot.
    Florida uses unarmed 'special deputy sheriffs' which are civillians, sworn-in by the sheriff ONLY for election day. They have no arrest authority and their only job is to maintain order at a polling place.
    A full-time deputy sheriff is actually representing the sheriff at all times and has the same authority as the sheriff. So, yes, he would be relieved immediately and possibly arrested.

BURSRKR

to "armyag" You certainly do not sound like you are or were a "real cop" . Your reasoning isn't even reasonable. Perhaps you should get your medication dosage checked, I and my co-workers have been voting armed since I was a boot back in 1987 and never once was the weapon ever an issue. If you truly were a cop you would know that peace officers are exempt from certain laws due to the nature of thier job, on AND off duty for that matter. Personally, I think you are FOS