News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

GA Deputy Shoots, Kills Attacking Pit Bull

Macon Telegraph via YellowBrix

November 01, 2010

A Bibb County sheriff’s deputy shot and killed a bit pull that attacked him Sunday, police said.

Deputies Dallas Malone and Barry Warren were dispatched to a domestic dispute at 4195 Fulton Mill Road between Patricia Hodges and her son Adam Hodges at 2 p.m., according to a Bibb County Sheriff’s Office news release.

A pit bull named Jack was aggressive and charged Malone when deputies arrived, the release stated.

The deputies told Adam Hodges to put the dog up while they were at the home. Hodges put the dog inside his mother’s vehicle. The mother later let the dog out of the vehicle and it ran toward the deputies, the release stated.

Deputies again asked that the dog be put up, and the dog was taken into the house. The dog got out of the house through the back door and attacked Warren by biting him on the back of his right leg above the ankle, and Warren defended himself by shooting and killing the dog, the release stated.

Warren was treated for his injuries at a hospital.

• Wings_max50

copper5817

Should have shot him BEFORE he got bit...otherwise, good job!

• Police_link_badge_max50

HEYSARGE

Based on the info....I agree on this one. The Oakland incident from 3 weeks ago I don't!

• Th_detective_max50

Retleo

It appears that these owners had little, or no control over their dog. The officer showed tremendous restraint and shot the dog only after it actually bit him. As for LEOs learning the signs of an aggressive dog, I think that is a noble idea but the training would be difficult to institute on a large scale.

• Untitledma28839986-0002_max50

Irishcop1961

I would have shot the dog the second time. Speedy recovery to Deputy Warren.

• Parkside_crest_new_12-15-08_copy_max50

mmarchesi

@ s3sk, I own a Pit, and I have worked in rescue many years with hundreds of Pits... to say that Pit Bulls are out of control is completely incorrect. As for the second part of your statement, I agree 100%, the owners should be charged, and I also agree that it is not the dogs fault. The dog was doing what dogs do, and that is to protect their property (space) and their pack (Family). In my years in rescue work I had never been bitten by a Pit and like I said, I dealt with hundreds of them, some of which came from the fighting circle. People need to learn how to be responsible dog owners no matter what breed they own.

As for this Officer, he did his job and went further then most officers would have to avoid the situation, and I commend him for that. It's sad that he had to shoot the dog, but I don't see that he had any other choice at that point.

I do think Officers should learn the signs of an aggressive dog, since many may mistake the playing or interest being shown by a dog as being aggressive. My Pit gets excited when she see's an officer in uniform since she see's them as being me. She also likes shinny things, and laser pointers... An officer may mistake her alertness and excitement as a threat, but she has never shown aggression toward a human.. I would hate to have my dog shot out of ignorance on behalf of an officer who does not know the signs of an aggressive dog. Again, this case is cut and dry from what I've read, and the officer did all he could have.

• John_groh_max50

wiseass0282

I don't think the Officers will have any problem with this one. The tried everything they could to have the owners contain the dog. I hope they locked up both of those idiots at that house. I would have locked up the mother when she let the dog out of the car.

• In_remembrance_of_oakland_pd_max50_max50_max50_max50_max50

rhood

This bad dog is a direct result of bad owners, it is to bad that it had to go this way, but the officer was justified.

• Plmb2s3sk_max600_max50

s3sk

I love dogs but these pitbulls are out of control the owners need to get charged with attempted murder. It is not the dogs fault.

• 1979_max50

Robocop33

I love animals but they should have shot the dog the second time, if not the first.

samarsheron5 submitted the article: "Hercules Movie Download Free Full HD", 9 minutes ago.
Untitledma28839986-0002_max30
Irishcop1961 gave a thumbs up to The Article "Winslow man sought in stabbing death arrested in Atlantic...", 40 minutes ago.
Untitledma28839986-0002_max30
Irishcop1961 gave a thumbs up to The Article "DA says Boston police justified in shooting man", 44 minutes ago.