News >> Browse Articles >> Crime News

Job Applicant Caught Trying to Cheat On Polygraph

Job Applicant Caught Trying to Cheat On Polygraph

Associated Press

October 13, 2010

OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) – A Washington State Patrol manager arriving at the Olympia headquarters for a meeting noticed a book on the seat of a parked car about “how to beat the lie detector.” The Patrol said Criminal Records Manager Heather Anderson called the Human Resources division last Wednesday and was told a job candidate was in the process of taking a polygraph exam.

When the patrol matched the candidate to the car he was told he would not be considered for the job, a civilian manager in the property management division.

Spokesman Dan Coon said Tuesday that past misdemeanors, such as marijuana possession, don’t automatically disqualify someone for a job with the patrol, but lying does.

(Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

• Sfa_iv_max50

revCCBeasley

OK..

• Car6_max50

Ahi

1990 Comments

smooth

• Matt_max50

mmcintyre

Can you say dumba$$. Its hard enough to get a job as a LEO but wy would you ruin your chances...

• Dscn0026_max50

tinbadge50

Truth be told, inquisitive individuals who want to know more are going to do some research. I am a former polygraph examiner, and most people who volunteer to take a polygraph do their research before taking the test (online, books, other people who have taken the test, etc.) so they know what to expect, what the capabilities of the technology are, and if the results can be used in court. This is ESPECIALLY true for police officer applicants. I would not have bounced the guy out for having this book, but I would have dogged him for leaving it on his seat.

dread27

Dummy!

• Lpd_patch_max50

LakewoodSgt19

Washington State IS known for good apples... case in point: This (bad) apple didn't make the grade (thanks to a good apple on the non-commissioned branch of the tree. :-)

just come clean, as long as you arent a complete tool. plus its not like a background investigation wouldn't have exposed this guys past

• Spartan_cops_max50

Lawful_Blue

Well I'm sure every applicant would like to know of ways on passing the polygraph in a smooth way and what to expect. But lying obviously doesn't help............LOL

Maybe this guy was trying to hide the use of a Schedule II controlled substance in the past. Oh well............

• Fallenherobadge-3-1_max50_max50

CAZ

The truth shall set you free. See how easy it is. Leave a book on how to lie lying around and you will be free to find another job.

• Ribbon_max50

mkiprotection

HAHA!

• __65_or_so_max50

ptlmdbutler

I think Heather Anderson did great work. Someone who is reading a book about how to fool a polygraph has something to hide. HaleL..you wonder if he is guilty of being stupid. Yup, I think he was. He was applying for a job in property management. Was it actually for property "under"management? If he was next to you at the airport reading the Anarchist CookBook, would you brush it off and want him on your flight or grab the nearest LEO? If he wants to cheat the polygraph, would you want him, a potential liar/cheat, working with you or handling YOUR finances? Hopefully you would say no to both. I would not be able to trust him, especially handling my evidence in a case.
    Again, good catch Heather.

• Imagesca4xarl3gatekeeper911_max50

RAMBO_911

This is NEWS! ?,,, WOW,,,, and here I Thought Washington State was Known for Good apples,,, rotflmbo

• P1010076_max50

Alexander_Ott

HaleL, probably for the same reason why you wouldn't bring a book about building bombs in an airport. Granted, I might be comparing apples to oranges, but the Police Force requires honesty, integrity, and a sense of honor, not suave, cunning, and charm....well, unless you're in the interrogation branch.

• Snoopy-cool_max50

nolarn2bcop

Those of us who are applying just need to make sure that we are all squared away and put our best feet forward. The first time I went throught the hiring process I made sure that my car was always kept neat and tidy with current plates and brake tags. I was even told that the background investigator could show up at your home unannounced just to see how you live. My car and apartment were pristine during the entire process and it will happen again next year! :) stupid mistake though, to leave that book lying around!. I did well on my voice stress analysis test before so I'm not going to fret about it too much.

• Img_0858_max50

HaleL

Hagajudge - please expound! I am still wondering at this. I think I agree with you. He is guilty of being stupid but isn't that all? Don't we have the right to read anything we wish? Perhaps it was just curiosity - I might pick up that book - no, I'm not in law enforcement but work closely with them!

Gods_team_max30
IowaNinersFan gave a thumbs up to The Article "2 arrested in Jonesboro SWAT team incident", 16 minutes ago.
Gods_team_max30
IowaNinersFan submitted the article: "2 arrested in Jonesboro SWAT team incident", 17 minutes ago.
Gods_team_max30
IowaNinersFan submitted the article: "SEMO man charged with rape after stealing beer", 19 minutes ago.
Gods_team_max30
IowaNinersFan gave a thumbs up to The Article "Jonesboro man arrested for meth during traffic stop", 20 minutes ago.