News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

Virginia Town Loses Only Police Officer

Associated Press

October 07, 2010

BROOKNEAL, Va. (AP) – Brookneal has lost its only police officer.

Officer Scott Earhart submitted his resignation this week. He told The News & Advance that he’s leaving to take another law enforcement position.

Earhart’s resignation is effective Oct. 15. He had been Brookneal’s only officer since April, when the acting police chief resigned after being charged with grand larceny. The town’s police chief resigned in January after he was charged with petit larceny.

Council member Kenneth Jennings says the Campbell County Sheriff’s Office is helping the town.

The town of 1,200 residents is continuing a search for new officers and police chief.

Information from: The News & Advance, http://www.newsadvance.com/

(Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

• 000_0053_max50

fergsnva

I do know Off. Earhardt, and he is a great guy. He actually replaced me, when I left Brookneal for my current agency. Unfortunately, Brookneal is a small town that is dying because of the ineptness of it's Town Council. Salaries are pathatic as well, but as is the case with most agencies and companies that have high turnover, alot of the problems can be traced to working environment. In this case, it's horrible. The Council tries to run the PD and plays favorites. This is just another example of what happens when the citizenry allows their politicians to become elitists because they do not stay involved and hold their feet to the fire. My prayers and thoughts go with Scott and the good people of Brookneal.

• 1051193310_l_max50

95Zcar

I don't know Officer Earhart nor do I know anything about Brookneal, VA. But having worked in a smaller community I can only guess that it boiled down to wages, benefits, training, equipment, polictics or some combination of any or all. In any case, good luck to both the Officer and the the town.

npd783

Wish it was closer to me, I would love to be full time.

• Untitledma28839986-0002_max50

Irishcop1961

Bump PSD and Robo

and in comes county

• 1979_max50

Robocop33

This town should simply contract with the County to provide LE protection. As small as this toewn it, it cannot raise enough through taxes to provide a proper LE agency. It is much cheaper to raise taxes and pay the County to provide the service.

• My_kids_027_max50

grant319

I would like to wish the people of this town the best of luck in finding a qualified dedicated officer to assist them.

Untitledma28839986-0002_max30
Irishcop1961 commented on: "DonnaLynn C", 16 minutes ago.
Gods_team_max30
IowaNinersFan gave a thumbs up to The Article "Alex City animal cruelty suspect faces 56 more charges", 16 minutes ago.