News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

Attorney Thrown In Jail For Refusing to Recite Pledge of Allegiance

Associated Press

October 07, 2010

TUPELO, Miss. (AP) – A Mississippi judge ordered an attorney to spend several hours in jail Wednesday after the attorney chose not to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in court. The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal reported that Chancery Judge Talmadge Littlejohn told a court audience to rise and say the pledge. People in the courtroom said Danny Lampley of Oxford stood but did not say the words.

Records show Lampley was booked into the Lee County jail at 9:40 a.m. and released about 2:30 p.m. on the judge’s orders.

Lampley did not immediately return a call to The Associated Press. Littlejohn was not immediately available through his office in New Albany or the court administrator’s office in Tupelo.

Information from: Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal, http://nems360.com/

(Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

• Funny_pictures_56616_max50

DarkBlue

If you fight for Freedom and respect its value in America than you know that Freedom also includes people being Free to do things and say things you may not agree with. As much as I think the Attorney is a Turd.....as most are....... he is still protected by the same Freedoms that I fight for every day........which include the Freedom to be disrespectful to our Flag..........as horrible as that sounds , (AND IS).........Lest I call myself a Liberal and fight against everything and everyone I disagree with. I understand the Judges action........but have to firmly disagree with it.

rsironron

I to say wow.

• Crumb_passin_thru_02_1__max50

mz66

Thanks MarineMP,
    That's what some people aren't getting here. The judge has chosen a most peculiar way of showing his allegiance--by violating his oath, which is arguably an insult by proxy to the pledge he's holds in high esteem. Why is it so difficult to understand that depriving someone of their liberty because they wont pledge their allegiance to the republic is as wrong as wrong can be...with liberty and justice for all?

• Copy_of_marine_photo_edited_edited_max50

MarineMPSpecReac

There is no such thing as a judge BEING the law, no person IS the law, that kind of statement needs to expire. As for the attorney not saying the pledge, no one should compel a person to speak the pledge or to refrain from doing so. Some people likened saying the pledge to an oath of office. And I do believe that if one wants to serve they need to pledge appropriately. To jail a person for not saying it greatly overboard, there is no law that compels a private citizen to say the pledge, or a law that makes is illegal to speak it.

I am a Marine and I have bled for Americans liberties. I did not bleed for a judge to over extend his authority and this is what it is. Do I want more Americans to take their heads out of their *****? Of course I do, but not like Russia does.

• 0312091735_1__max50

sdaily

I salute the Judge. If he orders everyone to say the Pledge of Alligeance, then by golly, say it with the upmost PRIDE for our country! I remeber back in the day as a kid going to school when we had to say them before class started in the first period... It was a sad day when they took that out of the schools along with prayers.

Ain't this what we fight for? It would be like the Chief or the Sheriff telling you to raise your right hand and to repeat after him. You stand there but you don't repeat, then what's gonna happen? You definately won't get no badge pinned to your shirt!

I have to wonder if maybe this judge has worked with this attorney before and the guy was a jack-a-dilly or something or maybe he had made him mad before that incident and the judge just snapped, whatever the reason is I think its a misuse of power and inappropriate.

• Stmaarten2_max50

bumperdog831

i feel like theres more to this story. dont get me wrong....hes still an asshole but i still think there is more

• Crumb_passin_thru_02_1__max50

mz66

@avictor: bump (except not sure about dismissing the judge). lmao at precious snowflakes and asshatty

• Profile1_max50

avictor

The attorney sounds like a jerk, clearly worthy of scorn from his peers and fired by his client BUT I find it VERY disturbing he was tossed in jail for 'not saying the words'.

This crosses the line labeled personal freedom.
    Ironic - the flag is our greatest symbol of freedom.

Had he remained seated that would or could be considered a disruption and outward sign of disrespect to the judge - worthy of contempt.

And haven't 'we' been saying all along to those annoying parents who make a stink abut the pledge being recited in school to STFU and instruct thier precious snowflakes to respectfully leave out words 'they don't feel conformable' with? The idea being drama over it is unnecessary, childish and a waste of everyone's time.

Now the judge has created drama, sounds to me they disrupted thier own courtroom.
    No doubt as a result tax payer money will be wasted.

The judge made themselves equally asshatty as the jerk who wouldn't say the words.
    The judge should be dismissed from power.

• Justice-400_max50

clobster

I understand how people feel when it comes to showing respect for the country. But this is an abuse of power, and you're not allowed to wrongfully imprison somebody because they disrespected someone or something (excluding disturbing the peace/harassment, different scenario). I don't think many of you would say "I deserved that" if you were put in jail for a day because you didn't say something you didn't believe in and someone thought you should.

Bump mz66 again and bump wildsoldier, maybe there is more to it than we're being told.

• Picture_008_max50

wildsoldier

How hard is it to support your country.. there has to be more to this story...

• 0503091740_max50

donmac85

Sure the attorney didnt have to, and maybe shouldn't of been jailed, but why wouldnt he pledge? We don't HAVE to do alot of things. We don't HAVE to hold the door open for an old lady either, but we do anyways, because we know it's the right thing to do. If Lampley is living in The States and enjoying it's benefits and freedoms, he should feel obligated to!

• Crumb_passin_thru_02_1__max50

mz66

You can admire him all you want, but he still was wrong under the law. He can tell the counselor he's a nincompoop, a disgrace, etcetera for not reciting the pledge when asked, but as far as I know refusing to recite the pledge is not a valid reason to charge the lawyer with contempt.

I respect the office of the judge, but I can't respect this judge--not even an eensy-weensie bit. He disrespected the Constitution in a way that is so ironic it is sad. It doesn't matter to me in the slightest if the lawyer likes and respects him. He was wrong. Should he be removed from the bench? I don't know--but I agree with a previous comment saying that maybe he should be sent back to school for a refresher in exactly what he's supposed to be defending.

• Policelinkbadge_max160_max50_max50

Gombino

Sorry, Folks...I admire the Judge. Too many of our service people have died for the freedom of speech you talk about. Show some respect. We've gone too far in the other direction.

• Wolfspirit_max50

AKangel

WOW!

morganltalley received the quiz result of "You passed with flying colors", 22 minutes ago.
dbrittany36 received the quiz result of "You passed, but just barely", 40 minutes ago.
3124185-templar_max30
MaxVirtus gave a thumbs down to The Topic "Ofcr. Chris Cortijo, LAPD, CA; MILITARY VETERAN; EOW: Wed...", 43 minutes ago.