News >> Browse Articles >> Crime News

Tougher Laws Coming for Maryland Sex Offenders

Associated Press

October 01, 2010

ANNAPOLIS, Md. – In addition to Maryland’s new ban on using handheld cell phones while driving, a variety of new laws aimed at stopping sex offenders take effect this week as well as new child support guidelines that will increase payments.

Under new laws taking effect Friday, Maryland will now be in compliance with the federal Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act, which creates minimum standards for sex offender registration.

Another big change in the law relates to how Marylanders will pay child support. Payment guidelines, which had not been changed in more than 20 years, will raise the scale for payments based on combined monthly income between parents from $10,000 under the old law to $15,000.

(Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

• Angel_kincaid_park_2014_max50

AKangel

NOT TOUGH ENOUGH!
    Bump Daysend!

• My_kids_027_max50

grant319

I have to agree with Daysend on this one. At least something close to it.

• Justice-400_max50

clobster

Bump daysend. I was expecting more of tough new laws and less of minimum standards.

• Tigerstripe_002_max50

Daysend

Sounds like a good thing to me, thou it also seems somewhat vague and tiny.

Sorry but when I heard Tough New Laws, I was kind of hoping.. "Castration."

• Fallenherobadge-3-1_max50_max50

CAZ

I am glad to see the new laws are taking affect but mark my words there will be someone out there mad because the new laws are to tough. And that person in my opinion should be put on an island with all the Sex Offenders and after 6 months asked what they think then.

• Anonymous-killer-whale-232189_1__max50

Whalewatcher

The tougher, the better !!!

swatj10

And tell me why it has taken this long for these Laws to be brought down, Sexual Predators are animals and with that said I don't think our laws are tough enough as they are

good tough those laws up