News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

DOD Police Take Down Another Active Shooter in Texas

DOD Police Take Down Another Active Shooter in Texas

The Houston Chronicle via YellowBrix

September 21, 2010

FORT BLISS, Texas — A person opened fire Monday at a small grocery store on Fort Bliss, injuring two people before being killed by responding officers, the commander of the West Texas Army post said.

Col. Joseph A. Simonelli Jr. declined to discuss the conditions of the victims or other details of the Monday afternoon shooting. Simonelli said the area was roped off for an FBI investigation, but the sprawling facility next to El Paso never was under lockdown.

Simonelli says the shooting was reported about 3 p.m. and authorities responded in about three minutes. He said the post’s emergency notification system worked well, sending several messages to his cell phone.

“Our law enforcement agents took it upon themselves to react immediately and aggressively, and I think that’s the main reason why this didn’t escalate further than it is right now,” Simonelli said.

The victims were taken to nearby William Beaumont Army Medical Center, said post spokesman Dieter Jester. Hospital officials didn’t immediately return a call seeking condition updates.

An FBI spokesman said the agency wasn’t releasing any details.

• Sfa_iv_max50

revCCBeasley

My home Base..Glad to see them rocking...

• Pug_max600_max50

DALLASCRANE

19382 Comments

Speedy recovery to the two ladies who were the victims.

• Me2_max50

bstites

good job guys!

• Car6_max50

Ahi

1990 Comments

well done!

• 2102206800014386084lqsnip_ph_max50

DoD102

DoD as seen below has it's issues. But coming from 27 years as a civilian cop to DoD, I remind my brothers/sister that civilian agencies have their issues to. DoD is a creditble LE agency and you'll never convince me otherwise. That said, good job Ft Bliss Police, cops, guards, MP's all worked as a team to eliminate a threat. I especially thank you because my son is stationed there. Thanks a millions times and be safe.

• Tigerstripe_002_max50

Daysend

Wow sounds like you boys have it rough. Good reaction you saved lives out there by putting yourself on the line and taking out the -Flavor of the Month- Freako.

What is it with people these days, they have freedom
    And such easy living here in America yet for tiny things they act so dissousioned and act as if theyve been subject to the most stressful living possible???

• Bert_max50

cichlid83

Hey to all you DOD guys I was an MP working with DOD cops on the base and it sucked for you guys and gals. There was some definite DOD clowns wearing the uniform but some good people to. Just like any regular law enforcement agency. You guys and girls do all the training but get none of the perks. They need to change the rules for DOD across the board. Also DOD LEO's need raises. I am a civilian LEO now and I appreciate what the DOD LEO's do.

milanauxguy

Don't get me started on the DOD law enforcement quagmire. I too was a DOD police officer at an Army base in, let's just say, the middle of the Mississippi river. That job was awesome, and terrible at the same time. I echo the responses that the officers there are not treated with the respect that they deserve. We were repeatedly reminded that we had no jurisdictional authority off post, even though or patrole duties routinely carried us to off post locations for security checks. Our own boss seemed to despise law enforcement, but that's an entirely different discussion. Ditto to joining the DOD and having one set of rules/regulations for civilian law enforcement professionals. And yes, it is retarted that these officers are not alloowed to carry their duty weapons home, or off duty for that matter. We were often reminded that we didn't even have arrest authority, even on post. Changes do need to be made. the professionals working in those positions need to be appreciated, respected, and properly trained under an ocverarching umbrella that standardizes training among all of the branches of service. I will end with a strong appreciation for my time with the DOD Police, but the job off post is much more fulfilling for me personally. I guess it ultimately boils down to what kind of law enforcement work you want to do. Kudos to the officers on Ft Bliss that repsponded to and neutralized the threat.

jrm_canine

I agree with Glenn for the pay. I too was a DoD/DA civilian officer in the Military District of Washington. To make matters even worse, at the base where I was employed (per MDW orders) we were NOT allowed to carry our duty weapon with a loaded chamber, in a triple retention holster and with safety on! For those of you counting, that would put us 5 steps behind a perpetrator AFTER we recognized a likely threat. Add to this the fact that we were not allowed to carry any patrol carbines/longarms on patrol (with exception of a shotgun at a static point). Our patrol vehicles were almost never "police equipped" or even had markings, lights (including spotlights for security checks) or sirens. Several times we had to respond to incidents by basically honking the horn and flashing our headlights, and hoping the other drivers would figure out who we were (Last time I was at the base in Dec. this seemed to be getting better with more marked and equipped patrol vehicles).
    We were often told by our Provost Marshal that were WERE overpaid security officers, and that was exactly what the Army wanted (his words). We were forbidden to take enforcement actions on the base, much less on the US highway that bisected the entire base. Our Federal Prosecutor had said on multiple occaisions that we had jurisdiction both places, and she would prosecute.
    Please do NOT get me wrong here, I liked the job, but hated the ridiculous restrictions placed on us. To make matters worse, at our location we were close to borders with other military districts and any policy varied from district to district (as it also varied from branch of services). The truth of the matter seems to be that the Government and military do not know exactly what to do with the civilian officers or how civilian law enforcement works. The best thing that could possibly happen, would be for the various branches to combine (once again) ALL of the civilian police officers and return to calling them DOD Police. Then, have a set standard of training and criteria for the entire agency.
    There are many very talented, and experienced officers within these agencies and I am not surprised (yet very pleased) at the fantastic responses by them at Ft. Hood and Ft. Bliss. In both of these cases things worked, but I shudder to think of how things might have turned out at my old post or one of the other nearby ones. Great job DACP and all DoD civilian officers!! --- Semper Vigilans

• Zoo_award_thanksgiving_279_max50

coyotemchugh

I agree. DOD police are not given the credit, or compensation they deserve. I also am shocked to know that most DOD police officers are NOT allowed to carry their weapons home. How ridiculous is that? DOD police are not armed security guards. They are police, but the rules of the DOD and jurisdiction limit their capability and power. This needs to be changed immediately.

Glenn2416

I worked for the police at an army base for a while, the money was so bad I had to quit, pay these guys more they deserve it.

• 11042009255_max50

DODcop1984

Hopefully you brother and sister officers will contact your FOP lodges and help us get our statutory arrest authority. Here's the rub of this situation -

we can shoot the shooter. But if he surrendered, we can't arrest him. How's that for awkward?

• Blade_runner_4_max50

BR_260354

I applaud the great job done by the DOD Police. I just wish our Federal government would take the simple steps necessary to grant them their police powers while they are off-duty, as well.

• Thinker_max50

darsavmo

Great work DOD Police...

• My_kids_027_max50

grant319

Nice job guys.

Joe_portrait_max30
SgtJoe1350 uploaded the photo: "DSC09926", 4 minutes ago.
Joe_portrait_max30
SgtJoe1350 uploaded the photo: "DSC09929", 4 minutes ago.
Joe_portrait_max30
SgtJoe1350 uploaded the photo: "DSC09931", 4 minutes ago.
Joe_portrait_max30
SgtJoe1350 uploaded the photo: "DSC09934", 4 minutes ago.
Joe_portrait_max30
SgtJoe1350 uploaded the photo: "DSC09939", 4 minutes ago.