News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

Deputy Hit By Car During Stop; Shoots at Fleeing Driver

Deputy Hit By Car During Stop; Shoots at Fleeing Driver

Wisconsin State Journal

September 06, 2010

DANE COUNTY, WI – A Dane County Sheriff’s deputy who fired his gun at a fleeing car after being injured Saturday night is on paid leave.

That is normal protocol after “a critical incident,” Dane County Sheriff Dave Mahoney said Sunday. How long the deputy is on leave depends on his needs, Mahoney added. It could be a few days or it could be longer.

“It’s all dependent on how he and his family do following this critical incident,” Mahoney said.

The deputy is a 10-year veteran of the Dane County Sheriff’s Office, said Lt. Richelle Anhalt.

According to the Sheriff’s Office:

The deputy was hit by a car he had just pulled over during a traffic stop. The car was driven by Steven A. Green, 44, of Madison.

The deputy stopped the vehicle in a parking lot near the 2900 block of Hoard Street about 7:10 p.m. because it didn’t have a license plate. But Green drove into the deputy, knocking him onto the ground. The deputy then fired two shots, with at least one striking the fleeing car.

Shortly after 7:30 p.m., Madison police stopped a car matching the description of the suspect’s vehicle about six blocks away from the incident. Green was arrested on Myrtle Street.

As part of the agency’s critical incident policy, the deputy’s partner, a five-year veteran of the department, also was placed on paid leave. Both deputies have been assigned a partner for communication and peer support, Anhalt said.

The incident is considered “critical” because the officer was injured and because there was a “significant use of force against an individual,” Mahoney said.

The Sheriff’s Office policy is that an officer can fire his weapon to protect himself or others if he believes there is a threat of great bodily harm, Mahoney said.

He said he is unfamiliar with the residential neighborhood — close to high-traffic East Washington Avenue — where the incident took place. Mahoney said he didn’t know how many people were in the area when the deputy fired his weapon.

The deputy was taken to a Madison hospital with minor leg injuries. Mahoney said it’s too early to say whether the deputy used good judgment in discharging his weapon.

“It’s premature to make an assumption on my part until this investigation is complete,” Mahoney said. “It’s a good question. It’s a question that should be answered. It will. But I think we are too premature at this point in the investigation to make any assumptions.”

Green, the sole occupant of the vehicle, is in the Dane County Jail on a probation violation. Criminal charges stemming from the incident will be added, Mahoney said.

“This individual had the potential to be a danger to the community, and I’m very glad our deputies took the action that was required to ensure his apprehension and to ensure the safety of the public,” he said.

The incident remains under investigation by the Sheriff’s Office, which has not released the names of the deputies involved.

• Hcn_ezr_max50

sehambone51

coshane220. I was relating to the Sheriffs department policy and the inference of not knowing how many people were in the area when he fired his weapon. Obviously he was asked that question to seed the opponents with reasonings that the Officer should not have fired his weapon. You're right probably not the best example article it was just the perverbial "straw". A new one today, the officers should have tried to use non lethal force with a knife weilding man that refused to obey an order to drop it. That's an excuse to riot? Why even report something so stupid. Sorry just a rant. It doesnt help with supercopA here in his last post. I always make a habit of jumping in front of cars because I just can't wait to shoot someone. Really???

• 058-nick_sisti-sb_max50

rebeldrummer16

Great Job Officer. Get well soon.

There is no reason to question his judgment in firing his weapon.

"This individual had the potential to be a danger to the community, and I’m very glad our deputies took the action that was required to ensure his apprehension and to ensure the safety of the public,”

This quote alone from Mahoney should be enough to show that he thought it was a good shoot. I hope they clear him of any wrongdoing. The guy tried to run over the officer.

My prayers are with you and your family officer.

• Flags_and_stars_max50

djs2v

Excellent job! Prayers for a speedy recovery!

• Geiger_max50

David4946

Get Well Soon

Godspeed recovery

• Police3_max50

wasimtiger1

great job. speedy recovery

• Img_20111016_163737_max50

DDemlong

Glad he isnt hurt seriously

• 4076_1_sbl_max600_max50

Grafton817

coshane220, I didn't say there was lack of support, I'm just saying that personally I would like to see more support.

sahelms

I wouldn't question the deputy's judgment on this. I might question his aim, were it not for personal experience in getting run over. It's kind of disorienting. I doubt I could have hit the car while tumbling across the ground. Good job!

• Alfootballplayerelephant_max50

jp208

Great job! Prayers are with you for a speedy recovery!

sehambone51, I'm not seeing the slant in this story like you say. It seems to be a quick synopsis of what took place without divulging to much information. Perhaps I'm oeverlooking something, but that's how I'm reading it.

swatj10, this incident and the Rockford incident are 2 different things...2 different departments. Let it play itself out!

Grafton817, I can't disagree with you, but I also can't completely agree...I'm not seeing a lack of support by the sheriff in this article. I think it sounds to me more like he's probably just playing it safe on this to see how the investigation turns out. I am seeing support from him as far as the time off and counseling for the deputies.

• Add_max50

manintan

well done deputy. im sure the punk tucked tail and ran as soon as he heard the bullets flying toward him. only to be arrested 20min later. well done to all involved.

PRAYING FOR A FULL AND SPEEDY RECOVERY

• Hcn_ezr_max50

sehambone51

Why do all of these stories now have the tone that the Officer may have used excessive force or did something wrong. Do the investigation and report it. These liberal newspapers are really slanting every story about a Police Officer lately. If you want to report it thats great but STOP with the slant. I saw one the other day about the officer that was involved in two deadly force situations in two weeks. Slanted to make you believe that he wanted it that way. That he was a wanting it that way? That he was some type of cowboy looking for it? They wouldn't last one day out here. How about this.....There was an incident involving deadly force with the Police and once the investigation is completed the public will be informed. They make a big deal about Officers being on "administrative leave", like that's indicative of him or her doing something wrong. Hey if an officer is wrong then so be it and it will be dealt with. But they seem to forget that these people that we are dealing with at that level have NO rules. Could it be that they actually did the wrong thing and put themselves in that position? But it's not slanted that way. I feel for the Officers and maybe the press ought to do a story on what they go through on their paid administrative leave. Sorry for the rant, just tired of it.

swatj10

I hope the Sheriff doesn't pull what Chet Epperson (Rockford Police Chief) did when Ofcr North and Ofcr Poole were put on leave and furthermore the way I see it the perp escalated this incident be using his car as a deadly weapon. The way I see it the perp attempted to take out the cop.. That alone justifies Deadly Force.

Huytgh_max30
e8nt392 posted in: "3 Word Response", 4 minutes ago.
Cp1_9755-edit__4__max30
PrettyBeautyBlonde posted: "Hello from California", 11 minutes ago.
Cp1_9755-edit__4__max30
PrettyBeautyBlonde posted in: "Hello from California", 11 minutes ago.
Star_max160_max160_max30
klamm143 is ranked No.1 for the day in PoliceTrivia, 20 minutes ago.