News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

Rate

New Report Accuses LAX Officers of Goofing Off at Work

Associated Press

August 19, 2010

LOS ANGELES—Police officers assigned terror watch duties at Los Angeles International Airport have been accused of goofing off on duty by peering into personal laptops, reading newspapers and spending long periods on personal cell phone calls.

A KNX news radio investigation says a June memo and e-mail sent by then-airport Assistant Chief Frank Fabrega cites months of complaints from passengers about the professionalism of officers stationed at baggage and passenger security checkpoints.

The airport police officers work with federal Transportation Security Administration employees.

The TSA also complained about the airport officers, including a July complaint of a LAX officer filling out a crossword puzzle.

Airport director Gina Marie Lindsey claims she hasn’t seen any complaint memos or letters.

Rate
  • Anonymous-killer-whale-232189_1__max50

Whalewatcher

Most of the TSA people at the local airport here are the same folks who were working for the private security companies responsible for security prior to TSA being created. Some of them are quite professional, but most are very sloppy-looking and don't appear to take things too seriously. That's as nicely as I can put it .....

• Badge__hat_max50

Baxter2

Have you taken a look at some of the TSA people that are assigned to screen people's ID's at the front of the security area? Somebody, like maybe the FBI, ought to be screening some of the TSA workers in my opinion.

Univcop

Of all people who should complain about "goofing off" is TSA employees.
    Everytime I travel, TSA officers look like "soup sandwiches", unshaven and unkept officers.
    Hey, you TSA guys!!...having a nice working relationship with LAX finest in the future..you guys deserve it !!!

• Image_max50

Book_Em_Mandie

On my recent flight, back in July, I observed the TSA folks goofing off, talking in groups, joking and cutting up while they're screening my bag for weapons of mass destruction. Sure they confiscated a $60 bottle of perfume I had in my carry-on because it was over the approved ounces but, I was allowed to keep my lighter. So... I can't smell good on the flight but I could start a small bonfire aboard the plane. I think they have their priorities all screwed up. Sometimes, there's downtime and when we're bored, we entertain ourselves. The TSA believe they are "hollier than thou" anyways. Why even station the Officers there? I'm sure the LE Officers could be put to better use on patrol. It's all yours TSA!!! Shake me down for a bottle of Ed Hardy!!!

• 9_11_01_max600_max50

88malo

im withValerie420

Valerie420

It's not like they are allowed to do their job anyways. If they do their job their insensitive and harassing people. If they back off their lazy. I don't think the police officers in this situation are going to win either way.

• 063_max50

jims4

Funny how the media gets copies memos and emails about complaints but the airport director gets none....

• 063_max50

jims4

I see Port Authority Police Officers at Newark Airport talking in groups of 2 or 3, some looking at newspapers, talking on cell phones, whatever the case may be....BUT!!!!!!!!!!!.....I can assure you, they do not miss a thing. No matter what they are doing, you can clearly see their eyes moving checking everything and everybody out. I doubt it is any different with LAPD officers assigned to LAX.

• Blue_crop380w_max50

DocThomas

Well said Alexy hahahaha!

• Joefriday_max50

alexy

Wow the TSA is complaining about laziness.....

Vpsomourningband_max30
DonnaLynn commented on: "DonnaLynn C", 29 minutes ago.
Vpsomourningband_max30
DonnaLynn commented on: "DonnaLynn C", 29 minutes ago.
Vpsomourningband_max30
DonnaLynn commented on: "DonnaLynn C", 30 minutes ago.
Vpsomourningband_max30
DonnaLynn commented on: "DonnaLynn C", 30 minutes ago.
Vpsomourningband_max30
DonnaLynn commented on: "DonnaLynn C", 31 minutes ago.