News >> Browse Articles >> Crime News

Police HQ Attacked with Diversion, Rifle Fire

Police HQ Attacked with Diversion, Rifle Fire

Law enforcement stand around a crime scene area where a shooting took place in McKinney, Texas, Tuesday, Aug. 17, 2010. A gunman who apparently opened fire at a suburban Dallas police station Tuesday has died, officials said. (AP Photo/LM Otero)

Associated Press

August 17, 2010

McKINNEY, Texas — A man drove a pickup truck loaded with ammunition into a suburban Dallas police station’s parking lot Tuesday, set the truck on fire and exchanged gunfire with police, officials said. The gunman was the only casualty and died at the scene.

McKinney Deputy Police Chief Scott Brewer said the man was shouting as the truck became engulfed in flames and the ammunition inside began exploding. The still-unidentified gunman then began shooting toward the police station and there was a “brief exchange of gunfire,” Brewer said.

It wasn’t immediately clear how the gunman died.

Brewer said police had no idea why the attack occurred or whether the man planned the attack alone.

“We believe there is just one shooter at this point in time,” Brewer told reporters at McKinney City Hall. The police station sits amid a large cornfield near the Collin County Community College.

The college locked its campus down to students and staff for two hours after the shooting, and has blocked access to the public, said campus spokeswoman Lisa Vasquez. Patrol cars blocked street entrances to the McKinney police department building.

A police officer was seen late Tuesday morning poised with a shotgun near a pickup outside the Public Safety Building in McKinney, a suburb of about 127,000, about 30 miles north of Dallas.

Department of Public Safety spokesman Tom Vinger said Texas Rangers, highway patrol and DPS aircraft were on the scene or headed to the area. Vinger could provide no further details.

The Collin County Community College District sent an e-mail alert to college staff and students shortly after 9:30 a.m. Tuesday warning that shots had been fired and that the central campus in McKinney was closed.

The e-mail said: “Shots fired. Campus on lockdown. Cops on the scene. Details to follow.”

Associated Press writers Diana Heidgerd and Danny Robbins contributed to this report.

• Car6_max50

Ahi

1990 Comments

Glad no one that mattered got hurt, good job officers!

• Bobble_head_max50

sgtnovak

I really don't understand what Imulrain is talking about. What does an "alleged" low blow have to do with someone trying to murder someone else? I also agree with rodneyra1 and would like to point out that, in most states, a .08 is the absolute limit anyway, but you can be arrested for an .04 if they show you were impaired.

nvrhdatckt

News media in Dallas say he died from a self inflicted gunshot. But real good police work just the same.

• L_cf5bb3a10bfc4ee5b3e73e4c228f02f1_max50

ofcjduty

I like the, "It wasn’t immediately clear how the gunman died." part. I truely hope it was from a McKinney Police handgun and not a stray bullet from this A-hole's truck. Great job to all involved. Its always good when everyone goes home the way they came in!

In Texas??? Obviously not well thought out...

• K9_academy_pic_4_max50

rodneyra1

Hey newsflash ilmurain, you dont have to blow above the legal limit to be convicted of DWI. It can still be proven a person was too impaired to operate a motor vehicle regardless what they blow. But thats neither here nor there, thats a rediculous rationale and certainly doesnt justify the actions this scum bag decided to carry out. If someone is wrongly convicted there are appeals processes in place. There is absolutely no excuse for these types of actions.

• Policelink_001_max50

Exeter811

Breaking point because you got busted for duece ? I had a plumber break a pipe under my sink once and I didn't think about blowing up his buisness. I don't care if you are asked to blow again and get a .10 or you have a Crown Vic parked on your head! if you light off a load of ammo in a lame attempt to take us down, you are going to get blown up ! One less P.O.S......................................Good Job !

lmulrain

I am glad that none of the Blue team or civilians were hurt, but there may be one little boy or little girls who's father is not coming home anymore. Good thing or bad thing, that may be a fact. I pray for all those involved.

• Photo_user_banned_big

EmilyCragg

Is the police profession AWARE of the US Governments programs--Monarch, MKULTRA and Montauk--to turn supposedly "normal" people into Manchurian-candidate-type killers? Sounds to me as if this bloke was one of THOSE enrollees. Sirhan Sirhan WAS; probably a lot more of them WERE and ARE "graduates" of Federal terrorist-training programs. I'm sorry to have to remind you of this stuff; but I have the testimonies of some of their subjects. There's really NO NEED to WONDER where some of these crazy basket-cases come from.

lmulrain

Well here's the deal. I don't condone this type of activity, but we have to realize that some people have a point of no return when they "possibly have been wringed in the past". I'll give you a for instance. When I was 24 I was pulled over for DUI. I was taken to the station and given the breath alyzer the first time I blew .10 the second time I blew .09. The officer knowing that this is not intoxicated claimed there must of been something wrong with machine and asked me to blow again, which I agreed becaus I believed he was doing his job correctly. I blew a .10 again and they locked me up. I went to court and I pleaded guilty to the charges. The entire time the police officer could not look me in the eye. I, however, and not someone to take my frustrations out by harming someone. Just giving you examples of things you all don't think about.

deweylandrum

It would be really ironic if he died from the ammunition he set on fire.

• Crest_max50

Roque1983

Well put broncofan!

bsibley

Finally a POS gets it right!! Commit suicide FIRST in a murder suicide scheme and you still get your name in the paper while the innocent people remain alive.

Good job offiers.

UsedtaCouldaShoulda

The crazy probably got a ticket for going 5 mph over the speed limit. That is all it takes nowadays. Better give em at least 10mph....

Snoopy_6_max30
Jonas submitted the article: "Corrections Department To Pay $50K in Sexual Harassment Suit", 28 minutes ago.
mkm007 commented on: mkm007's photo: "MEXICAN LR", 28 minutes ago.
Img_0425_max30
MrsBristol commented on: "Arnita Bristol", 29 minutes ago.
mkm007 commented on: "Kaye Mull", 30 minutes ago.
Me_max30
denise65 commented on: "Chad Pusey", 36 minutes ago.