News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

Sheriff Joe Allegedly Cooperating With Probe

Associated Press

August 06, 2010

PHOENIX — A lawyer for an Arizona sheriff known for his efforts against illegal immigrants said Thursday that the U.S. Justice Department’s threat to sue over records for its civil rights investigation is premature because his client is willing to cooperate with certain elements of the probe.

Earlier this week, the department gave Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s office until Aug. 17 to turn over documents first requested last year.

The Justice Department has been investigating Arpaio’s office since March 2009 for alleged discrimination, unconstitutional searches and seizures, and having an English-only policy in his jails that discriminates against people with limited English skills.

Arpaio believes the inquiry is focused on his immigration efforts.

Robert Driscoll, a Washington lawyer representing Arpaio, said his client has fully cooperated in the inquiry into his jails, but won’t hand over additional documents in the examination into the unconstitutional search allegations because federal authorities won’t say exactly what they are investigating.

Driscoll said the Justice Department has made overly broad requests for records that could cost huge sums of money to fulfill and that federal authorities were given thousand records that were handed over in a lawsuit that alleges Arpaio’s deputies racially profiled Hispanics in immigration patrols.

“The DOJ should have all the information it needs to evaluate whether it believes (the sheriff’s office) has violated the law, or, at a minimum, more than enough information to define what they are looking for,” Driscoll said in a statement.

The Justice Department had no immediate comment Thursday.

In a separate investigation, a grand jury in Phoenix is examining allegations that Arpaio has abused his powers, such as allegedly trying to intimidate county workers by showing up at their homes at nights and weekends.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

• Nado_max50

bluelinefarms

I'm still in shock that illegal immigrants are still in Maricopa county, its not like its a secret he is tough on immigration. DOJ is just having a fit because someone is doing the job that they are ALREADY supposed to be doing and we all know they are not.

• Pure_irish_hate_max50

Nacho

Looks like they are trying anything they can to get rid of Sheriff Joe. What a crock of garbage.

• 000000000000000aaaaaaaaaa_max50

Mrbdguard

I never thought that there would be a debate over defending the law of the land. Cheap labor is not worth having the American way of life ruined. Do I feel sorry for the illegals no...my parents were immigrants came in legal worked hard and honest learned the culture (joined it) and made a American family.

• Badge__hat_max50

Baxter2

Thank you CPDJster. Very well said.

• Car_004_max50

copper380

2026 Comments

BUMP taterhead, SuzanneNGa, CPDJster

• 8_max50

CPDJster

English only policy discriminates people with limited english skills.... Hmm... If I go anywhere else in the world I do not expect them to cater to me, because it is their country. As a immigrant myself, I believe in the USA, citizens should speak english and we shouldn't have to feel obligated to cater to people who can't speak english.

• 45089_396847393722850_1055776862_n_max50

SuzanneNGa

ENOUGH of the bickering! it really ruins the articles. If you want to argue/fight/bicker, then y'all need to take it up in PMs (personal messages). Roger that?!

• Photo_user_banned_big

taterhead

BYE SWATNESS, IT WAS A PLEASURE!

• Photo_user_banned_big

swatness123

No Shaun Taylor or taterhead or whoever you are. You are not an officer Your status is made up and phony. This is my last response to you or your buddy copper380 in any forum. You guys have a nice life together.

• Photo_user_banned_big

taterhead

SWATNESS , ONCE AGAIN MY STATUS PROVES I AM AN LEO. ON THE OTHER HAND I CAN SEE YOU STILL HAVE NO PROOF THAT YOU ARE A LEO. MAYBE YOU SHOULD TRY BEING ONE FOR REAL AND QUIT PRETENDING. ALSO, I RESPECT YOUR OPINION BUT I DO NOT AGREE WHICH MAKES FOR A GREAT DEBATE.

• Photo_user_banned_big

swatness123

Copper you are still full of hate I see. I am in a room that is totally voluntary to be in and i am annoying you?...Leave bro if you don't like to see someone expressing their opinion.

I see you and Taterhead are still making a good team.

And I will say it again, Taterhead you are not a LEO. At best you are a security guard.

• 711022_max50

Barbrady

no comment

• Car_004_max50

copper380

2026 Comments

swatness123, you are repeating yourself, you have no valid points and are beginning to sound like a broken record. I believe we went over this in the comments on "Sheriff Joe: I'll arrest immegration protesters". you need some new material. before it was a good discussion, now you are getting annoying!

• Photo_user_banned_big

taterhead

YOU MIGHT BE BETTER OFF LIVING IN MEXICO TRAITOR

• Photo_user_banned_big

swatness123

not me, I'm a 20 year vet still in a black and white every day answering calls. I'm no liberal.

Joe needs to go and will be indicted soon for his crimes. District Judge Susan Bolton has gutted the so its pretty limp right now. Police Chief's in Tuscon, Phoenix and Flagstaff have signed affidavits supporting the federal investigations of Joe's crimes.

He will be done soon. Thank God