News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

The Bounty on Sheriff Joe

The Bounty on Sheriff Joe

PHOENIX - JULY 29: Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio speaks to the media in front of his county jail on July 29, 2010 in Phoenix, Arizona, the day Arizona's immigration enforcement law SB 1070 went into effect. AP

The Chattanoogan Press via YellowBrix

August 05, 2010

Note: The Following is an Opinion Column

For several years one of my biggest heroes has been ‘Sheriff Joe,” the colorful Joe Arpaio of Arizona’s Maricopa County. If ever there was a face for Arizona’s fearless fight against illegal immigrants it is the Massachusetts-born lawman whose no-nonsense approach towards crime in Phoenix has enthralled millions just like me.

Now comes word a Mexican drug cartel has put out a $1 million bounty on the iron-fisted sheriff. That’s right; last week a Mexican drug lord from the Juarez cartel, incensed by the way Sheriff Joe’s posses are fouling up the illegal drugs his “mules” are sneaking through the desert, sent word he’d pay $1 million (in U.S. dollars, not pesos) to anyone who would bring him Joe Arpaio’s head.

“Just a million?” the 78-year-old sheriff reportedly harrumphed, “The last time I had a hit put out on me it was for $5 million. The economy must be bad down in Mexico,” he added before calmly going about this business. "I’m going to keep doing what I’m doing. It doesn’t matter to me.”

As the Obama administration continues the tangle with Arizona over the state’s proposed – and wildly popular – efforts to crack down on illegal immigrants who are flooding the country, “Sheriff Joe” continues to dole out justice his own way. When a frantic court ruling delayed Arizona from enacting its new legislation on Aug. 1, Joe’s posse did a legal sweep that first morning and caught 70 who are not American citizens.

And in the midst of the national legal wrangling and the state of California “banning” all Arizona products (except for traffic cameras), the Department of Justice is now threatening to sue “The Toughest Sheriff In America,” saying he isn’t cooperating with its investigation into alleged human rights violations.

“Sheriff Joe” is taking that in stride, too. He has just appeared in a news tape, telling a reporter he’s put up more tents where he now keeps 2,000 prisoners, and will “happily accommodate” any illegal immigrants he can catch.

“I have plenty of room for any cop that wants to arrest people," he said, but the tape’s most delicious segment comes at the end of Monday’s interview with MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell where he says he would be happy to discuss immigration with President Obama.

“Why doesn’t he call me to the White House and we’ll have a little wine like he called the Cambridge police sergeant that arrested the professor,” Arpaio said. “I’ll be glad to talk and give him some advice of my 30-years in the federal government, but he won’t call me, he’s had the Justice Department investigating me.”

Oh, I love the guy who makes his prisoners wear pink boxer shorts. He has recently cut the taxpayer’s food costs by another $20,000 a year because he refuses to serve salt and pepper. His deputies even carry pink handcuffs and they march criminals to the courthouse and back!

Several years ago “Sheriff Joe” quit serving criminals coffee (“It has no nutritional value”) and his chain gangs, which clean up litter, paint over graffiti and bury the county’s indigents, now include females and juvenile law-breakers. “If you don’t like it here, don’t come back after you get out!”

The New York Times had a sobering story several weeks ago, saying this summer’s savage heat has now killed over 750 Mexicans who are illegally trying to slip across the desert border. The Maricopa County morgue is overflowing the heat is so bad.

But when human-rights activists whine that Joe Arpaio is inhumane, he snarls back, “Tell that to our solders in Iraq who are wearing full body armor in the same kind of weather!”

The same activists, you’ll remember, used a federal law that made “Sheriff Joe” return televisions to the prison population. Joe Arpaio complied, but he had the TVs altered where they would only show the G-rated movies and the Weather Channel. “Why the Weather Channel? I want ‘em to know how hot it’s going to be … this ain’t the Hilton!”

Oh, if only our nation would elect more like him in the weeks ahead.

kikept7

This guy (joe) should run for president.....I love this guy!

• 45089_396847393722850_1055776862_n_max50

SuzanneNGa

Chief Millan?????? Huh?

• 45089_396847393722850_1055776862_n_max50

SuzanneNGa

BUMP Bubblehead69

Bubblehead69, don't you really mean chiefmillan?

1Tinman

The Illegal problem is out of control.
    For those of you who want to try and justify the status quo, here is a piece of information... try to justify this:
    An illegal has a child (or 10) in this country and goes to the welfare office. Those kids get medical for free until they are 18 yrs old (guess who pays for that). An American family of 4 making $15,000 a year can not get those same benefits.
    Illegals do not have to show ID to apply for other benefits but US citizens have to prove they are citizens.
    Very few people WANT to take the steps necessary to fix the illegal problem because it will have to be harsh and people will suffer. Life can be harsh but if we don't get some people in office who are willing to do the hard things, there won't be ANY U.S. citizens... because there won't be any America. There are simple solutions, but there doesn't seem to be many people who are willing to put them into motion; Sheriff Arpaio is an exception, and as such, he has my respect.
    When you keep doing what you've always done, you will keep getting the same results.

• Uss_rhode_island_max50

Bubblehead69

I guess the hate mongor swatness; aka "Anonymous" has taken control of this story also. Wow, I wonder if he serves with such pride and compassion in his profession, as he does in spewing vomit here. I wish he would focus on the facts of the above story, and not on his hatred for his fellow Americans, and the Democracy that our country symbolizes. I am proud to be a Sheriff Joe supporter, and will always support someone that is willing to defend this fine country, whether it be foreign or domestic. Go Joe...

Im outa here, Suzanne I hope you find the cop boyfriend or husband your fishing for in here. you need to deal with your hate issues tho,

You are right, there are no immigrants here because Americans made it so unpleasant for them they left. problem solved.

• 45089_396847393722850_1055776862_n_max50

SuzanneNGa

swatness, you are so wrong, but I"m not going to feed the troll. Hmmmmmm interesting... you were banned and you have the audacity to make a new account and just continue to distort.

Well millions of Americans do not have a problem with Illegal immigrants becaues they entice them here, pay them and support them. that will never change

More hate Kuhnkejar?

• 45089_396847393722850_1055776862_n_max50

SuzanneNGa

FYI swatness, I have no problems with immigrants that have come here legally and obtained citizenship. I have a HUGE problem with the illegals ones that won't obtain citizenship.

• 45089_396847393722850_1055776862_n_max50

SuzanneNGa

BUMP to DonnaLynn's comments. Swatness, I'll never understand why you are on this site. why don't you go create a website devoted to your support of illegal aliens.

Donna Lynn why are you so full of hate? That hate will tear you up inside. I dont know what you ever did but I have shed blood for this country and the citizens. Why does it make you so raging angry that someone has a different opinion than you. I have paid my dues in pints.

The truth of the matter is The immigrants are here to stay by the millions and because many, many Americans recruit them, Many Americans give them jobs and many americans support them.

Everyone likes to point fingers about illegal immigrants nd no one wants to accept any degree of responsibility for the problem. That's what many Americans find so appealing about how the country is experiencing an "invasion" as if we were all sitting in our backyards and minding our own business when, over the horizon, came an army of nannies, gardeners, housekeepers, short-order cooks, chamber maids, construction workers and farm laborers demanding to do our chores.

You can get as ngry as you want about this fact but fact it is. Americans want them here and Americans keep them here. If the possibity of the American dream was not made possible by our country, then the illegals would not come.

Remember the Kevin Costner movie 'Field Of Dreams'? Quote " If you build it they will come."

Well Americans hired them to build it and so here they come by the millions. Hired by Americans to maintain it.

You can for get SB 1070. Judge Susan Bolton saw it for what it was and gutted it.

Donna Lynn or Suzanne or whoever you are. If you are tired of pressing 1 for English, you better hire a button pushing immigrant because latinos are the largest minority group in America and the fastest growing as well. They will be 29 percent of the population by 2050.

Last I checked the constitution guarantees the pursuit of happiness. Illegal immigration issue aside, If your happiness is speaking spanish or any other language you want then power to you. I speak two languages and being a veteran and police officer, noone is going to tell me what language to speak on my own time. I love the spanish language as i love English

These facts will never change, Americans make it possible for the Illegals to be here.

Its not just corporations either. Its Americans who need their dishes washed, Americans who need their yard work done or roof replaced, and on and on. So if ypu want to blame anyone for the immigrant problem. Blame the millions of Americans who welcome them with open arms and support them

You can hate what I am saying or you can hate me for saying it. But I have never hired an illegal immigrant in my life.

Hate does not become you Donna Lynn/ Suzanne

• Pl28_max50

kuhnkejer

Wow, Donna Lynn you really have learned a lot in your police career especially how to talk to people. As for everyone else, The only way to settle this is to have every legal citizen vote on what is right or not. Obama doesn't care about the American people just his name on every "It's time for a change button." I can't wait for the people to vote him out of office. I would really love to see the people marching in these protest show their legal documents. My guess most won't be able to because they are illegals and don't want to become legal. We the people who are sick of Obama should march to the white house and let him know we don't like him and think he is a lair.

Opps i guess the hate for Obama just came out sorry about that, but Donna Lynn come on that was mean

shmiles received the quiz result of "You have some things your department will want to clear up.", 23 minutes ago.
Patrolcar_pic_max30
Jkaz232 posted in: "Policelink, What happened", 41 minutes ago.
Hmhart182 received the quiz result of "You passed with flying colors", about 1 hour ago.
caledonia received the quiz result of "You passed, but just barely", about 1 hour ago.