News >> Browse Articles >> Crime News

Man Holds Mom at Gunpoint After She Refuses to Iron His Clothes

Associated Press

July 09, 2010

VILLA RICA, Ga. (AP) Authorities say a 29-year-old man got very hot under the collar – and actually held his mother hostage at gunpoint – because she refused to iron his clothes.

The Carroll County Sheriff’s Office says Robert Edward Tyrrell Jr. of Villa Rica, Ga. is charged with aggravated assault and false imprisonment.

Sgt. Marc Griffith says Tyrell, who lives with his parents (um, maybe that’s the problem?) wanted his mother to do some ironing because it was “woman’s work.”

When she refused, authorities allege Tyrell pulled out a gun, took his 51-year-old mother’s keys and cellphone, and refused to let her leave for at least six hours.

This all allegedly happened June 30.

The woman eventually escaped unharmed, and went to a police station. Authorities then managed to get “iron man” Tyrell out of the house without incident.

Sgt. Griffith says the suspect was still in jail without bond as of Wednesday, July 7.

If the cops’ story holds up, the case looks to be open and clothes-ed.

sahelms

There's an error in the story. It says "29-year-old man", which he clearly is not.

• Radio2_max50

FireDad

What a low life.. I learned to iron my clothes when I was 12.. This guy needs to spend life in jail.. Heck they should make him do laundry detail in the jail.. lol...

• 180px-chp_4th_gen_camaro_in_traditional_colors_max50

propbraker

I hope he serves a lot of time in jail, and spends jail time ironing clothes.

• Ba_old_glory_max50

Jonas

@ jess55114- ironing as his job in jail is priceless!!! LMAO!!!

What a child! I think it is time this 29yo grew up and learned to iron is own clothes. Maybe that could be his job in jail! I feel bad for his mom that she had to go through that, but at least she stood her ground and wouldn't iron his clothes!

• White_shirt_max50

uncledennis1

I like the humor.

• Ba_old_glory_max50

Jonas

Sounds like junior's a little spoiled brat. Maybe a little jail time will un-spoil him. By the way, if this were my son and he did this to my wife, I'd for sure kick his 29 year old lazy ass out of my house, and more. He'd be hoping for jail time instead of dealing with me. And sorry, I don't buy the "suffering from some serious mental illness" stuff. He's a lazy rebellious bully who needs to be put in his place.

• _cid__img_20100823_145536__max50

guardkbouche

So much for the family bond being completely unbreakable. I feel really bad for the mother. She had to lock up her own son who imprisoned her and held her at gunpoint, but yet that's still her own flesh and blood. This is a really screwed up catch 22 scenario. My prayers go out to her.

• 74596_129289523905506_927477597_n_max50

CadetAK

While it's easy to say that he's lazy and whatnot, I can't help but wonder if the guy suffers from some kind of serious mental illness.

• Vpsomourningband_max50

DonnaLynn

I'm liking the writer's wit! Nice and refreshing. As for this idiot, she should have applied said iron to his head, maybe knocking some sense into him... oh hell, she should have kicked him out long befor now!

• Draped_badge_max50

184retired

Damn hope my kids don't see this I'm gonna end up ironing and possibly cooking...

• 0503091740_max50

donmac85

What a loser, still living at home at 29! I bet he doesn't have a job either

• 687-45b_5270

JCastelot

Pure Laziness at work right here

• 2009_camaro_patol_car_max50

MIKE344

hope they put u on laundry duty when your behind bars

• Thinker_max50

darsavmo

Is he related to Mel Gibson???