News >> Browse Articles >> Crime News

Drunk Texas Officer Fires Gun into Squad Car Floor

Drunk Texas Officer Fires Gun into Squad Car Floor

photo | youtube

The AP via YellowBrix

June 19, 2010

DALLAS — A Dallas police officer is on leave after firing her gun into a squad car floor when colleagues tried to drive her home from a bar where she’d drank too much while off duty.

Officer Kelly Beemer also faces a misdemeanor charge of discharging a weapon.

Video from a squad car camera shows two officers escorting Beemer to the vehicle Wednesday night. Inside, one of them tells Beemer they just want to get her home.

Beemer can be heard saying she doesn’t believe them and demands the car be stopped. As the car continues moving, a muffled shot is heard. The car stops and the officers are heard repeatedly yelling “Kelly, drop the gun!”

No one was injured.

Dallas Police Chief David Brown calls Beemer’s conduct reckless and unacceptable. Beemer’s attorney declined to comment Friday.

• Memorialbadge_max50

MAYES969

Man my ears would be ringing. She needs to be glad auto training didn't kick in. I very well may have shot her just out of reflex thinking she had shot at me. She is VERY LUCKY all she is going to get is fired.

FamilyofLEO

Does anybody know if Beemer was terminated yet? I went to the kellybeemer.com website and it says nothing about a termination.

• Pug_max600_max50

DALLASCRANE

19382 Comments

Miss Kelly fired FIVE times into the floor of the squad car. One round would have gotten the point across. Heaven help us all. Our patrol cars have enough holes already, we don't need more. Are your ears ringing?

• 2783456796_max50

trw6168

I have always had a personal rule that if I am going to have drinks while out, then I leave ALL my firearms at home. Glad nobody was injured but this was pointless and preventable.

• Photo_1_max50

thors45

So pointless, so preventable, so sad. However, at least it wasn't tragic. It's just the barest silver thread in this mess.

• Img00033-20091202-1845_1__max50

smkedvr73

Eventhough I should not be surprised, I am. As a LEO myself, I excercise great care when consuming alcohol. I have extended the courtesy of "escorting" many an officer home while they were intoxicated but only after relieving them of their firearm!!!!! I do believe that the two officers "escorting" the female officer home will be minimally reprimanded for their parts in this incident.

• Photo_user_banned_big

7yt43tquma

Hey sullivan o putz.......If I wanted to let you call me miss, that would be fine, but, I earned my MD, so use it, you idiot..........very very few times do I use that card, but, with you, you punk, call me DOCTOR, not PH.d. either, although they are Doctors as well, but, I am an MD, or don't you get that either, so much goes RIGHT over the top of your itty bitty head.

• Photo_user_banned_big

7yt43tquma

YOu know O sullivan, tomorrow I will wake up and be just as intelligent as today, far more that you could even imagine, and yet, you will still be an ass. Or a donkey, maybe you can become Shrek's friend, course, the way you act, you will have to sleep outside as well.

SgtOsullivan

1 day ago

Oh, thank you Miss 2Step. Now I can see that you too are adept at staing the obvious.
    Texas2step

1 day ago

SUZANNENGA: "Leave your guns at home if you are going to go to a bar/restaurant and drink enough to become drunk."

You think?

YOU THINK? She is agreeing drinking after the limit is frowned upon.......guess you didn't get the point.

Delete SgtOsullivan

1 day ago

You think?

• Flags_and_stars_max50

djs2v

WOW!!!

• Pug_max600_max50

DALLASCRANE

19382 Comments

Officer Beemer was at LeeHarveys.com (Dallas' premier dive) (mine also), which is 2 blocks from PD headquarters. Beer is sold in an ice bucket of six long necks for $12 bucks. Officer Kelly Beemer bonded out Thursday and is back home. The two officers (one her boyfriend) are on administrative leave.

• 45089_396847393722850_1055776862_n_max50

SuzanneNGa

She was severely intoxicated. Thank God she decided not to get behind the wheel of a car.

• Pro_max50

expsgt

Wow....... This is downright ridiculous.

• Hpim1329_max50

tstanfill63

What a jerk. You know those two officers that were just helping her out will get jammed up over this thing to. Sucky.

• Evgeni_nabokov_max50

skascooter007

2010 Comments

You big drunk dummy, what were you thinking? Glad no one was hurt, it sucks we have to lose a LEO to stupidity.

• Metroguard_emblem_max50

patchez

Shes darn lucky it only went into the floor and not the Officers. Im a lady of a few good words " Firearms and Alcohol DO NOT mix !!!...What a waste of a good career as well as the reputation of the whole Department..

American_first_responder2_max30
trooperman911 gave a thumbs up to The Photo "Memorial Day, 2008", 9 minutes ago.
American_first_responder2_max30
trooperman911 commented on: keeneagle's photo: "Memorial Day, 2008", 10 minutes ago.
American_first_responder2_max30
trooperman911 gave a thumbs up to The Photo "Memorial Day, 2008", 11 minutes ago.
American_first_responder2_max30
trooperman911 gave a thumbs up to The Photo "1st Sgt graduation certificate", 11 minutes ago.
American_first_responder2_max30
trooperman911 commented on: keeneagle's photo: "1st Sgt graduation certificate", 11 minutes ago.