News >> Browse Articles >> Crime News

Officers' Homes Burglarized; Gun, Police Badge Stolen

Officers' Homes Burglarized; Gun, Police Badge Stolen

Stock Photo

Chicago Sun Times via YellowBrix

May 24, 2010

CHICAGO – Burglars who struck two police officers’ Southwest Side homes in two separate incidents Friday made off with police equipment — including a gun, police badge and bullet proof vest, police said.

In the first incident, which occurred between 4:30 a.m. and 7 a.m., thieves broke into an officer’s home and took gun, police star, uniform and a bullet proof vest, police said.

Shortly afterward, in a separate incident police think occurred sometime between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m., thieves broke into a vehicle in an officer’s garage and took a uniform shirt, nameplate, handcuffs and a stereo, police said. The vehicle was not a police squad car.

No suspects are in custody Sunday morning.

devvon

These things can happen to everyone apparently, it reminds why I keep home safes in the house. I can only hope we don't have such daring burglars in our neighborhood.

• Greg2005_max50

djlojak

come on in ! i'll leave milk and cookies on the table for you. right before i splatter your dumb a** all over my kitchen! cause dats how i roll playa!

• Img00177_max50

NCSO614

BUMP, SkoolCop...

My home was broken into soon after I returned from target practice at gun range in the west suburbs. Same thing happened to Sargent on separate occasion after going to same gun range. Both occasions during broad day light. It is believed we were followed right after gun range.

• Flags_and_stars_max50

djs2v

Not good!!

• Img_0103_max50

LAWMANTUKES

Well as "SkoolCop" put it, lets all be more carful to secure our gear. And maybe these sort of incidents will be much less and harder for the scum bags that will attempt it.

• 45089_396847393722850_1055776862_n_max50

SuzanneNGa

Oh no!!!! Not good at all :( I hope somehow the items will get returned.

• American_first_responder2_max50

trooperman911

BUMP, SkoolCop! Couldn't say it any more effective than what he said. KUDOS!

med2365

My question is was the gun locked up?
    I hope they find who did the break and enter.
    I also hope all the equipment will be returned.
    Remember people. Lock up all guns.
    I wish everyone a safe shift.

• Native_clip_art_4_049_max50

Sheriff_1

Bad. No telling what these items are going to be used for. Sounds like a wannabee or another blue light bandit situation

• Policebadge2_max50

PDexplorer_MLT

I keep my wepons in a safe and most of my family knows how to use a hand gun,people need to be more responable for their equipment and their home locked and secure at all times.

• Img_0083_max50

Sheepdog_1

That's why everyone in my family is trained to use and has immediate access to at least one handgun...

• Cdcr_badge_max50

SERT0629

SkoolCop I agree...It will turn up sometime but sadly it'll probably be used in many crimes.

• Untitledma28839986-0002_max50

Irishcop1961

Bump SkoolCop

• 100_0440_1__max600_max50

mark27dh

This is not a good thing... but come on .. you can buy a police cruiser from auction, you can buy a police shirt from anywhere ... and no one knows the difference... the sad thing is that they need to increase the offense to higher degree and this will atleast slow down some of the morons.

1asteriskshield_ezr_max30
ajsdaddyBPD posted in: "Security system", 27 minutes ago.
Sheriff_3_max30
sheriff950 received a gift from savannahmiller, 32 minutes ago.
Gods_team_max30
IowaNinersFan gave a thumbs down to The Article "Teen Raped in Front of Large Crowd at Keith Urban Concert...", 35 minutes ago.