News >> Browse Articles >> Officer Down News


Sergeant Gunned Down In Ex-Con Ambush

Sergeant Gunned Down In Ex-Con Ambush

Stock Photo

Minneapolis Star Tribune via YellowBrix

May 02, 2010

MAPLEWOOD, MN – The St. Paul police officer stood alone on a shady street near Lake Phalen on Saturday morning, one of hundreds on high alert during a tense hunt for two ex-cons who three hours before had gunned down a Maplewood officer in cold blood.

When a young man emerged from the woods behind him carrying a metal toolbox, the officer approached to question him.

Suddenly, the man attacked the officer and the two grappled on the ground. The attacker straddled the officer and hit him over and over again, breaking his nose and possibly the bones around both eyes. Finally able to reach his weapon, the officer pulled the trigger several times.

The man suspected of killing Maplewood Sgt. Joseph Bergeron — an ex-con whose recent prison stint was for a double shooting — collapsed onto E. Ivy Avenue.

Louis Feider, who lives on Ivy Avenue, was just driving up with a friend.

“The cop had blood on his mustache and on his nose,” Feider said. "That’s when he raised his gun and fired. There must have been three or four shots and [the suspect] fell to the ground. There were sudden jerks, and then he just kind of went dead.

“I yelled at [the officer], ‘Are you OK?’ and he just looked at me in utter shock. He didn’t say anything.”

The day’s bloody events, involving hundreds of officers in a methodical manhunt that plunged residents east and south of Lake Phalen into fear and confusion, began at 6:45 a.m. At that time, Bergeron was fatally shot near English Street and Arlington Avenue, just south of St. Paul’s border with Maplewood, said St. Paul Police Chief John Harrington.

A man had called from an address in the 1300 block of Ripley Avenue in Maplewood to report that two young men had carjacked him near Interstate 35E and Larpenteur Avenue, and dropped him off on Ripley. When officers arrived about 6:40 a.m., they found the victim’s unoccupied vehicle.

Five minutes later, Bergeron was on Bruce Vento Trail near Arlington Avenue. There he spotted two men who matched the suspects’ descriptions. As he opened his squad car door, one of them walked up to the car and shot him, police said.

A jogger who had just passed by heard the shots, looked back and saw the suspects running away. The jogger ran back, saw that Bergeron had been wounded and used the officer’s car radio to call for help.

Bergeron was rushed to Regions Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The 49-year-old officer hadn’t originally been scheduled to work Saturday morning. He leaves behind a wife and 13-year-old twin daughters.

Maplewood Police Chief Dave Thomalla characterized the killing as a cold-blooded ambush.

“He was a very proud officer … and one of the finest people I know, and he was murdered today, senselessly,” Thomalla said.

A fight to the death

After being shot by the St. Paul officer just before 11 a.m., the first suspect, identified later as Jason John Jones, 21, lay dead on his back, one arm twisted beneath his body as police remained on guard for the second suspect, identified later as Joshua Michael Martin, 21.

Just seven weeks ago, Jones had walked out of St. Cloud prison after serving 27 months for first-degree aggravated robbery in which two people were shot, though an assault-with-a-dangerous-weapon charge was dropped in a plea bargain, according to police and public records. He was on supervised release, and the Corrections Department had him listed as a “Wanted Fugitive” on its website Saturday.

Police said he had an extensive criminal record as a juvenile, including robbery, stabbing a female, theft and alcohol and drug offenses.

A neighbor of Martin’s said he lived with his mother in the 600 block of Selby Avenue. Martin’s mother, Cindie Konobeck, declined to comment about her son other than to say, “He’s a very good boy” who grew up in St. Paul. His Facebook page says he graduated from St. Paul Central High School in 2007.

Police say he robbed a pizza delivery driver in West St. Paul in November 2007. His 10-year sentence for aggravated robbery was reduced to 227 days in the Dakota County jail, resulting in his release in October 2008. He is still on probation.

Continue >>

PoliceLink School Finder

Save time in your search for a degree program. Use PoliceLink's School Finder to locate schools online and in your area.

* In the event that we cannot find a program from one of our partner schools that matches your specific area of interest, we may show schools with similar or unrelated programs.