NJ Man Suspected of Shooting Officers Kills Self
The Associated Press via YellowBrix
April 22, 2010
TRENTON, N.J. – A man suspected of fatally shooting an off-duty New Jersey correction officer and wounding another has committed suicide in a cemetery after being spotted by police.
The Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office says Ralph Johnson shot himself in the head at around 4 p.m. Wednesday and died later at a hospital.
Prosecutors say the 60-year-old Johnson shot his ex-wife and her husband before dawn Wednesday. They were in an SVU outside their home getting ready to leave for work.
Johnson’s ex-wife, Joanne Nicholson, was listed in stable condition Wednesday. Her husband, Laughfiel (la-fay-EL’) Nicholson, died.
Prosecutors say Johnson had been involved in an ongoing court dispute with his former wife. Prosecutors say their teenage daughter called 911 after hearing the shots.
Today’s Top News:
- Booby Trap Leads to Raids, Arrests of White Supremacists
- Trial Set for Accomplices in Lakewood Police Deaths
- North Salt Lake Hires New Police Chief
- NJ Man Suspected of Shooting Officers Kills Self
- LA Sheriff’s Deputies Find Ton of Pot Worth $1.5M in Van
- Ex-NFL Star Arrested For Alleged Drunken Driving
- Chief Honors 11 For Assisting St. Paul Police in River Rescue
- Va. Recalls Plate With Apparent Hitler Reference