News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

Deputy's Practical Joke Hits Bottom [Video]

Deputy's Practical Joke Hits Bottom [Video]

Video Capture

Associated Press

April 13, 2010

NAPLES, Fla. (AP) – A Collier County deputy was reprimanded after shocking a colleague with a Taser in an incident meant to be a joke. The December scene was caught on tape at the Collier County jail. A female deputy was seen showing a message on her iPod to Cpl. Wilmer A. Arencibia, who followed the woman and shocked her on the behind with his Taser.

Arencibia told investigators it was “a spur of the moment thing” and acknowledged the behavior was improper.

He was given a reprimand and final warning after an internal investigation.

Other Top News:

• John_groh_max50

wiseass0282

Bump Top_Cat. I wonder if she was the one who filed the complaint or did a witness file the complaint because they didn't approve. From what he recieved I would think that it was a third party who filed the complaint.

Jezziblue

It appeared to me that these two have a history of clowning around a bit 'mutually' ; the problem is, a law enforcement environment is not the place for kid's play. It would serve every officer to remember that his or her job is only as secure as the least professionalism they have displayed; there could always be someone looking for something to use against you.

• Azphoe1_max50

bigjim76

funny, but if overdone can get out of hand.

• Sps_badge_max50

Glen603

I think that was a stun gun and not a Taser - big difference

I don't think there's anything wrong with having some fun while working, or funny pranks. This was funny, but at the same time I generally think pranks stop being funny when they hurt!!! Since there obviously wasn't a big ordeal over it I think everyone is lucky it's more or less blown over. Everyone makes stupid mistakes or bad choices periodically. I don't think it's the end of the world when no one died or was seriously injured. Like a lot of other people mentioned, we don't know the relationship between the involved parties. I do know though part of the reason I like hanging with guys and not girls is because horseplay is normal and FUN! Poor timing, poor choice, crappy it got on tape. *shrug* It's not like he tackled her and held her down to do it.

• Picture_007_max50

mrsheather

Bad taste

chitownladycop

Wow!!!! Don't know what else to say to that. Wow!!!

jlewis308

I do not know what kind of officer this guy is, but I sure would be watching him from this point forward. I have been tased during certification and if he drive stunned me like that the other officers would have had to pull me off him. Pranks are pranks, but a prank that causes pain like that, even if only for a second or two is to much. I have pulled pranks and jokes on the people I work with, and will continue to do so. But I have never done anything like this, and it is not acceptable. This guy is an a--, and he should be punished. Maybe send him back through Taser certification and let him ride again for the longest 5 seconds ever experienced.

• Elf_owl_species-micrathene-whitneyi-1_max50

zjd

She sees the taser and flees. He chases her and discharges an electric shock into her buttocks.

• Academy_001_max50

bartlett705

WOW! In this day and age with all the cameras always watching why would you potentially risk your job with such a stupid prank.

• Pot_luck_at_work_max50

Omarra67

ilegworldchamp, not sure what you mean. I was in the Navy at the point when sexual harassment came to the forefront and people were being separated for it. So, yes, there were still guys who didn't think women belonged in the military but there were other, younger guys who didn't care as much. And you're welcome.
    :-)
    Israelis fight two years mandatorily - men and women. I know this from the Israeli girl who was in my college class years ago.

• Steve_mcqueen_max50

ilegworldchamp

Omarra67 , Your time frame reference does not go back fare enough ( most likely because you don't ) , but back during the second world war , the Woman's work force was greatly appreciated but also was met with some resistance from the "Testosterone Filled" know it all. Rosie the Riveter was the supply pilot for aircraft overseas , the work force that manufactured all the war materials for the troops on the front line , and even many Woman in the Military were on the front lines . Some were even killed in actual combat but the Government won't say that. If Braun were the only qualification to be a member of the Armed Services or a Police Officer , Fire Fighter , E.M.T. , or any other form of work ( A STRENGTH TEST WOULD BE THE QUALIFICATION STANDARD FOR HIRING ). In the mean time common since and logic are currently in use for hiring practices , and to the best of my knowledge no gender is attached to that standard , nor should it be. "SOME PEOPLE JUST DON'T GET IT EVEN TODAY". I thank you for your service in both areas.
    As to "PATROLINFORCER" , have you ever been to Israel?

stas

well i think it was funny but i dont think he should have done it on the job

• Pot_luck_at_work_max50

Omarra67

Look, we all know "horseplay" is "wrong" ~ according to the rules. But we do it. And we have fun doing it. It's the same in the military. My area just got chastised for using vulgar language... It happens. Even as a female, I have a blast working with the guys and goofing off.

• Steve_mcqueen_max50

ilegworldchamp

Mr.G50;
    Until you have endured the Terrors of the job you would not have any idea about the "Style of Humor" the Police and Fire Fighters and E.M.T.'s have to live with every day. Pleas let me know how you feel having to knock on someones door at 3:30 in the morning and have to tell them that a Loved One (that you just spent two hours locating all the body parts out of the car wreckage) is not ever coming home again. I could go on and on but the people who do the job need to blow off a little steam to get rid of the "LUMP IN THEIR THROATS". You really need to walk in someones shoes before you even think about rendering any decision on what is or what is not appropriate for them.

jcondray commented on: "Police Officers Death & Disability Act", less than a minute ago.
jcondray commented on: "Police Officers Death & Disability Act", 4 minutes ago.
Gods_team_max30
IowaNinersFan gave a thumbs down to The Article "N. Carolina - Officer killed in crash with NCDOT truck", about 1 hour ago.