News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

City Cop Discharges Firearm For the First Time in 25 Years; Fatally Wounds Attacking Canine

Stock Photo

Dayton Daily News via YellowBrix

April 13, 2010

OAKWOOD — A city police officer fatally shot a resident’s dog last month while responding to a disturbance call in what Public Safety Director Alex Bebris said he believed was the first time an Oakwood officer has discharged his firearm in at least 25 years.

Police responded to 342 Wisteria Drive about 1 p.m. Saturday, March 27, on a 911 hang-up call with sounds of a fight in the background, Bebris said.

Officer Brad Liston, in his incident report, said while other officers went to the door, he was walking through the fenced side yard and looking into the house when a “dark-colored chow-type dog” began growling at him from a doghouse. Liston said he backed up toward the gate, but the dog ran at him with teeth bared.

“When the dog was about 2-3 feet away, attacking me, trapped inside the fence with no other place to go, I shot the dog several times until it fell to the ground,” Liston wrote.

After officers made contact with Lidiya Winkler, the resident who called 911, Liston said he “humanely put the dog down with a lethal shot to the back of its head.”

Oakwood Register editor Lance Winkler, the owner of the home, said he didn’t believe police were justified in the shooting. Winkler said the “chow-Keeshond mix” was on a tether that would have prevented him from reaching the gate.

“There was a reasonable path of retreat,” said Winkler, who was not home at the time of the shooting.

Police Capt. Dave Lantz said Liston was still in the tether’s range when the dog charged, which put him at risk.

“The officer was trying to back up, and the dog was attacking,” Lantz said. “The tether would not have protected him where he was. We’ve met with Mr. Winkler, and we know it’s a traumatic thing that your dog of 13 years gets shot. It’s something everyone hates.”

Bebris said Oakwood police studied the officer’s use of force and found no rule violation, closing the case with no discipline for Liston.

“It was an unstable situation, and I can understand how the decision was made,” Bebris said. “It’s an unfortunate thing, and it’s a very unusual occurrence for us in Oakwood, but is it unusual for police in general? No.”

According to Winkler and police, the same dog bit a cable TV contractor on the property years earlier, with Winkler saying the dog “had a little thing for people in uniform.”

Police handling the original disturbance call at the house arrested a 16-year-old male on a charge of domestic violence and took him to county juvenile detention.

• Fallenherobadge-3-1_max50_max50

aussie4

I am glad the leo was unhurt, but I would not have shot that dog.

jeady

I had to put a dog down that had distemper and was closing in on me fast with every intention of putting me down, and I nearly got fired for shooting the dog with kids looking on from a neighbors house.
    And all I could think of was this mouth full of nasty looking teeth that had my name on every one.
    If faced with the same situation I would do the same thing kids looking or not, I ain't dog food!

• Car6_max50

Ahi

1990 Comments

A history for the dog or not, the officer went home unharmed, and that's what matters.

• Rob_max50

Lieutenant4540

Excellent job by the officer. Chasing a Uniform is like chasing a tire, beware dog it may bite back.

• Anonymous-killer-whale-232189_1__max50

Whalewatcher

In reading my last post, I may have given the impression of being a pet hater. Nothing is further from the truth( a spoiled cat named Louie can attest to that ! ); I feel bad for the owner. However, that doesn't change the fact the dog in this instance had a history of aggression. The officer was justified in his actions, no matter how regrettable the outcome.

• Anonymous-killer-whale-232189_1__max50

Whalewatcher

The dog "had a little thing for people in uniform" ?? Case closed ......

• Images_max50

OFFICER_K_CPD

Good shoot.

• My_kids_027_max50

grant319

Been there, Done that. After almost seven years I was faced with the same basic scenario and I can tell you honestly that I would do it again to keep from getting bit by a dog. I did not like it myself, but it's a situation that you may very well be put in if you stay in this wonderful job.

• Hpim1329_max50

tstanfill63

I kid you not I have been in almost this exact situation, where I had to shoot an attacking dog. Mine was on a chain. When that sucker was coming at me, I swear there was no end to that damn chain. I was backing up and all I could see was teeth, thinking my testicles were about to be ripped off. Great job Officer Liston.

WOWWW....!

• Snoopy_6_max50

Jonas

I'm not sorry that Officer Liston was able to defend himself and then go home to his family!!!!!

• Police_car_max50

lawman07

It doesn't matter that the dog was in his own yard and may have been territorial, If he charged the officer and the officer felt threatened then the dog got what he deserved! Good job Officer.

• Debra_1_max50

debbles537

Knowing that dogs are territorial if anyone comes to my door the dogs are not released and I have them either in my arms or put in a room where they have no contact with anyone at my door. The pizza delivery person, the neighbors, the man who sprays, the grounds keeper etc. Just for liability issues. I'm not saying my dogs have ever bit anyone but the likihood never is too far from thought.

• 206901_5295346828_3262_n_max50

Sgt_524

Now the juvenile is on a tether.

rsironron

The officer did the right thing so he didn't get bit, Good job.

Thcaf6zgyj_max30
LanaNJ commented on: "Sen. Reid on Cattle Battle: "It's not over"", 25 minutes ago.
Deserthowlwkend_max30
striker123 commented on: "L E", 29 minutes ago.
Deserthowlwkend_max30
striker123 commented on: "Alex C.", 32 minutes ago.