News >> Browse Articles >> Officer Down News

Federal Forestry Officer Killed by Hunter

Federal Forestry Officer Killed by Hunter

Officer Down Memorial Page, Inc.

March 06, 2010

Officer Chris Upton was shot and killed by a hunter who mistook him for game at the Ocmulgee Bluff Equestrian Recreation Area in Jasper County, Georgia.

Officer Upton was on patrol at 11:00 pm when he was struck by a shot fired by the hunter. The shooter was in a two-person hunting party hunting coyotes with a high-powered rifle equipped with night vision. After realizing they had shot an officer, the hunters called 911 and reported the incident.

Officer Upton had served with the Forest Service for four years. He had previously served with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission and as a game warden for the Department of Defense at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort. He is survived by his wife and 4-year-old daughter.

• 375956_401447159923274_1109023972_n_max50

Eilene

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family, and brothers and sisters in Law Enforcement of Officer Chris Upton May he rest in peace, and his family, friends, and Brothers and Sisters in Law Enforcement find solace knowing he is in a better place.

EditingMySpace.com - Law Enforcement Graphics

• Police_badge_max50

mhansard_1

Rest in Peace Brother. My prayers go out to your family.

• Img_0103_max50

LAWMANTUKES

As I said in an earlier comment on this article, I too worked as a Conservation Officer during my law enforcement career. And as many of you have said, Conservation Officers definately pull their share of the load..!! And some..!! Some of my most interesting Felony cases and arrest were made as a Conservation Officer. Thanks be to all of my fellow LEOs that realize what role we play or played, in the arena of law enforcement.

Again Rest in Eternal Peace Officer Upton...Rest my brother...We have the Watch... And SEMPER FI...!!

• Policelinkbadge_max160_max160_max160_max160_max160_max50

mikki

Straightshooter: If you have not read the article, I have not read at all that there was an alcohol level involved. Also do not bring alcohol in this one. I don't think that there was a drinking involved. When I was on a paint ball shooting range, I found out that some shooter,s shot a bear. Shooting bears here in Florida is for bitten. Then he told me that some hunter's or people do love to shoot on everything what is moving. If it is right or wrong, They don't care.

This story here is indeed sad. But we have to wait for the truth. There is too much missing

• John_groh_max50

wiseass0282

I agree with everyone else. Not everythinig is being released on this story. RIP Officer Upton.

• Mourning_badge_max50

Straightshooter

This story makes you wonder what the blood alcohol content was. It does not make sense for a hunter to mistake his target when the supposed target is maybe 2 or 21/2 feet tall and the Officer is three or four feet taller than a large Coyote. Like everyone else, this looks like a lot of facts are being left out of the article to me...we'll have to wait and see.

My condolences to the Family, friends and coworkers. RIP Officer Chris Upton.

• Pot_luck_at_work_max50

Omarra67

How very sad. Condolences to the family. :-(

• Marinesegaiwoblues1024x768_max50

RescueNanny

Waaaayyy more then what is being told here. Sympathies to the family and fellow officers.

• Policelinkbadge_max160_max50_max50

Gombino

RIP

Some obvious questions raise their ugly heads here.
    1.What had the hunter been drinking.?
    2.What is the criminal record of the hunter?
    3.Was the Forest Service Ranger on all fours when this mental midget shot him?

• Cot_max50

hbg522

• Nc_max50

Charlie10

Rest in Peace Brother!

• Picture_002_max50

Horsey

This hunter was using nightvision equiptment and he couldnt tell what a human looked like vs. a coyote-I call BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!! RIP brother!

• Radio2_max50

FireDad

Something is not right here. It sounds like manslaughter to me..

Rest in Peace Officer Upton..

• Me_last_wk_max50