News >> Browse Articles >> Crime News

Deputy's Daughter Knows Dad's 'a Hero'

The Post and Courier via YellowBrix

January 28, 2010

As well-wishers from police departments across the region filled her father’s hospital room Friday afternoon, Sydney DeGrow, 9, slipped quietly across the hall and sat down with a magenta sparkle pen and a notebook.

Charleston County Sheriff’s Deputy Jeffrey DeGrow was back home from the hospital Monday.

The day before, a burglary suspect had shot her dad, Charleston County Deputy Jeffrey DeGrow, in the head and arm. One bullet went through part of his eye and was still lodged in his skull.

Sydney has blond hair and freckles on her nose. She loves to write, and in a corner of a waiting room, she sat at a table and let the words tumble out.

“Have you ever heard of a hero? Like Superman or batman? Well my dad is a hero! Let me tell you what happened,” she wrote.

Her story would be a simple one.

“The first reason why he is a hero,” she scribbled, “is because he got shot five times and he is so brave that he did not give up because I know he loves us so much. He is so brave! And I’m also happy that God was looking over him and because God is also a hero! I am just so happy that he is still alive so I can spend time with him. I will never forget him! I will always be by his side! Nothing will get in between me and my dad.”

As she wrote, Sydney’s grandfather, Dave DeGrow, stood nearby.

Dave is from Michigan. His son grew up there, too, but didn’t like the cold. “He said, ‘If I’m going to be a cop, I don’t want to investigate traffic accidents in 20-below wind chill factor.”

About a decade ago, his son began looking for law enforcement work in Charleston, eventually landing a job with the Mount Pleasant Police Department and then taking a job with the Charleston County Sheriff’s Office two years later. In addition to a daughter, DeGrow also has a 14-year-old son.

Anyone with family in law enforcement worries about getting “the call,” and Dave’s phone rang 11:15 a.m. Thursday with the news about his son. Read a letter from Deputy DeGrow’s daughter

Letter from Deputy DeGrow’s daughter

• Aaa_max50

beejac

This child expresses her feelings for her hero in words that no one else can use. God bless the children and deliver our prayers for her father's return to health.

• One_ass_to_risk_max50

erikshirley

May GOD Bless you and yours and let others learn from what happened to you.

• 082310163642_max50

carlitoso2

Praying for you and your family

• 21_max50

philfroggy

Very touching story, Get well soon brother

• Anonymous-killer-whale-232189_1__max50

Whalewatcher

Talk about grace under pressure !!! Great work by all involved in capturing the whole family of thieves. Get well soon, Deputy DeGrow !!!!

• Me2__1__max50

Avacop310

Thoughts and prayers and blessings and love your way.

rsironron

God bl;ess you Deputy DeGrow get well soon and your little girl is right you are a HERO.

The daughter of a proud cop. Wonderful story. This attibutes to the father and mother for having raised this young girl with pride and courage. Deputy DeGrow get well real soon. You are a true hero and your sweet daughter loves you so much and knows that God kept you in his care. Prayers for a complete recovery.

• 119_1923_max50

TPD327

As a 32 yr officer and the father of a police officer this story struck me hard. Reading how Deputy Jeffrey DeGrow handled himself fills me with pride. Thinking of his family made me think of what I try to push way in the back of my mind. God bless Jeff and his family. I pray for a full recovery.

• Sw12_max50

436

Great Job Deputy. Our prayers are with you!

• 4276294557_max50

orangebomber01

Great story, what a sweet girl! Best wishes brother.

Deputy Degrow is the epitome of what this job has called all of us to be: A true warrior spirit with a never quit attitude. He truly went above and beyond what he was called to do. He fought for what he believed in and even after being what most would consider "mortally wounded", he pressed on.

I pray that God continues to heal you and your wounds brother. Great job.

• Finalfeeding161copy_1__-_copy_max50

bobatkinson

May God Bless you with many more years to be the Hero to your wonderful daughter. You and all of your fmaily will contitue to be in my prayers.

• Photo_user_banned_big

stevo29

God bless you and your family get well

• Chris_and_i_in_uniform_max50

JP503

Speedy recovery to the officer, they need to lock those idiots up are life

Ba_old_glory_max30
Jonas commented on: "Brighteyes63", 1 minute ago.
Ba_old_glory_max30
Jonas submitted the article: "Scott Brown: Homegrown Terrorists Should be Stripped of C...", 3 minutes ago.
Ba_old_glory_max30
Jonas submitted the article: "Gun Rights Group Backs Tom Foley in Connecticut Governor&...", 5 minutes ago.
Ba_old_glory_max30
Jonas submitted the article: "Nicaraguan gold mine collapse: 11 of 24 trapped miners re...", 8 minutes ago.
Ba_old_glory_max30
Jonas submitted the article: "Suspect's family wants LAPD to repair home after batt...", 16 minutes ago.