News >> Browse Articles >> Crime News

Tour L.A. Gangs for $65

Tour L.A. Gangs for $65

Former gang member Alfred Lomas, talks with reporters invited to take an "LA Gang Tour" in Los Angeles on a recent Sunday. The tour promises "hands-on knowledge and experience of the inner city lifestyle." (AP Photo)

The AP and PoliceLink

January 21, 2010

LOS ANGELES — Visitors to Los Angeles have a new tour option. For those tired of following maps to celebrity homes, LA Gang Tours offers a ride through the city’s gangland. Passengers pay $65 a head and must sign a waiver acknowledging they could become crime victims.

Reformed L.A. gang member Alfred Lomas recently began hosting the tours. He promises “first-hand encounters” with “the top crime scene locations in South Central, Los Angeles.”

Lomas says his group has negotiated cease fire “safe passage” zones with street gangs along tour bus routes.

However, all participants are required to sign a release form before beginning the tour.

What do you think? Should these tours be allowed?
Share your thoughts here.

Other Top News:

• 026_max50

Gildor9

I hope the people running this feel good about themselves making money off of a very serious problem in America. Maybe soon you'll be able to pay for a ride along in a drive by...just for the full experience.

• Dallas_star_max50

J1SD

This is ludicrous. The ex-gang member is trying to clean up but he's promting gang life. I thought to myself maybe this will help some people wake up to the reality of how bad it really is in those sections of LA, but the truth is gang memers are going to love the publicity and are going to use this in their favor. And what about this "safe passage"? How much is he paying the gangs off for this supposed "safe passage". This is definitely very controversial. I don't think this is right.

• Angel_kincaid_park_2014_max50

AKangel

Up for the Darwin award!
    WOW! Why would anyone glorify Gangs, We are playing right into their game. Very careless.
    Why would anyone pay $65.00 to get shot by a Gangbanger.

• Me_max50

FThrash

This may be the most careless thing I have ever heard of! I live in Ohio but my father is a Sergeant in Los Angeles while there Sept. 2009 we were driving around the garment district when we passed a park and seen a man lying there riddled with gunshot wounds...1st responders had not yet arrived...I saw all of this for free...in California there is not fee to witness gangs in action. Anyone who is willing to pay to their life on the line is CRAZY!

• Car6_max50

Ahi

1990 Comments

Horrible idea, why would we want to give attention to the gang members, not a good idea.

ACinGGCA

There are people who pay to swim with, and feed, live sharks. I don't see how this is any different. These gangs are just as dangerous, and no "cease fire" will keep these people safe. Some one else, besides the tour guide, is making a profit here.

• L_574adb5a2ffe65191dbf7e1b8a345976_max50

PCSAFsa39

Somehow the computer has linked me to PCSAFsa39, What is happening? I am lookoutforone, Oh, i get it Homeland security must be monitoring this right? Sorry if you don't like my comment PCSAF but I have no clue what's happening here. are you hacking me?

• L_574adb5a2ffe65191dbf7e1b8a345976_max50

PCSAFsa39

Hey, how did PCSAFsa39 get my comment? I posted that. I am lookoutforone

• L_574adb5a2ffe65191dbf7e1b8a345976_max50

PCSAFsa39

Now ex thugs are in competition with Homeland Security? Why doesn't THAT suprise me. Hey I was in Mombasa 86-89. LA? well good thing they dont have the connections The Somalians did, LAPD would have a real problem on their hands. Gotta admit though, this ex thug, He's trying to clean it up, just hope his payoff to the gangs doesn't supply drugs or guns to school kids..

• Newpatch_sq90_max50

JIMROC

The last thing we shoould do is ever place a gang of any type in the spotlight.

• Photo_user_banned_big

postal1

Hey, just like Kenya, open top bus and the passengers get AK-47's or AR-16..

No Barretts, bystanders might roll over laughing to death......

Now there's a good message to send gang members. "You're celebrities! People are willing to pay to see where you live and operate. Keep up the good work." Sheesh!

• Uni_max50

SPDNH156

"Negotiated cease fire safe passage zones..." So at least the gangs will know the exact route the busses are taking when they decide to do the jackin'. I don't know which is worse, the city actually letting this guy run this operation, or the idiots who agree to take this tour.

• Photo_user_banned_big

theshieldman2000

and poeple wondered why, during the movie 2012, "the part when California fell into the ocean" I stood up and cheered.

• Img_0295_max50

sbudno

USNPS2850
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA thats awesome!

darinjowers commented on: "darin jowers", 20 minutes ago.
Gods_team_max30
IowaNinersFan submitted the article: "Stanfield pair arrested in man's shooting death", about 1 hour ago.
Gods_team_max30
IowaNinersFan gave a thumbs down to The Article "NOPD officer suspended, charged with sex crimes", about 1 hour ago.
Gods_team_max30
IowaNinersFan gave a thumbs up to The Article "Three men charged in $25,000 vandalism spree in Roselle", about 1 hour ago.