News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

Secret's Out: Trijicon Inscribes Bible Verses on Scopes

Secret's Out: Trijicon Inscribes Bible Verses on Scopes

(Stock Photo)

New York Daily News via YellowBrix

January 19, 2010

A Michigan weapons company is under fire for branding thousands of rifle scopes used by U.S. soldiers and Marines in Iraq and Afghanistan with passages from the Bible.

U.S. military rules prohibit any service member from proselytizing while serving in Iraq or Afghanistan, which are primarily Muslim nations.

Trijicon, a sighting manufacturer based in Wixom, Mich., has several multimillion-dollar contracts with the Pentagon to make sights.

Religion in Policing

Along with the sight’s stock number, there are coded Bible passages from the New Testament engraved on the sights. One reads JN8:12, an apparent reference to John 8:12, which says, “Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

Tell Us: Share photos of your Trijicon sights and tell us what you think of the inscriptions.

Trijicon did not return calls for comment yesterday but confirmed the engravings to ABCNews.com. And the company’s mission statement is steeped in religion, saying it strives to follow morals “based on Biblical standards.”

Mikey Weinstein, founder of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, said the sights endanger troops. “This plays right into the hands of maniacs who say, ‘Look, it’s a jihad,’” he said, adding that he’s received several complaints from soldiers and Marines.

U.S. military officials told ABCNews.com they were “unaware” of the biblical markings.

Other Top News:

willie64125

There might be a valid point there considering general order 1B for all soldiers deployed to OIF/OEF states that, but for one of the locals to get that close of a look of my weapon will stand for one of two things. 1) he wont be alive long enough to argue the point with me about bible verses on my scope or 2) i was killed in action and the problem will be solved there too because i won't be around to care who gets offended because the man next to you is who you care about. trijicon i use your acog and it is the best optic i have use in a combat zone yet keep up the good work.

• Chesty_max50

SOARTMAR

What utter B.S.! If an American is captured in Iraq or Afghanistan wearing BVD's and sunglasses he will be treated the same way he would be treated if he is carrying fifty bibles and a Remington 870. This is a war, they are out to kill us regardless of what we carry or why! This is a Bible verse on a scope for crying out loud. DUH! Do you think the rifle it is on might give it away that we are not there to collect for the Red Crescent? Do you really think Daniel Pearl had bible verses hidden on his person? He had his head cut off to make a point. Since then several others have suffered the same fate. The bible verse on the scope doesn’t change a thing; the bad guys are out to kill us. They have had the same idea for centuries; it is the nature of Islam. Convert or die. I, for one, will not be converting nor will I support this “Politically Correct” idea of taking the bible verses off the scopes. In fact, I support bullets made out of ham bones…

nathan121s

if you dont want to use good sights by one with out a bible verse from a less reputable company.

daart

Wrong place - wrong application. It could cause problems in the field for soldiers and marines in Iraq and Afghanistan - because if they and their weapons are captured, it could be viewed at anti-muslim or some form of Jihad. Why endanger our warriors further? The company should proselytize at church or in their hometown. Not all American soldiers are Christian so this company is infringing on their rights. By the way I am Christian and volunteer at my church.

• Img_0007_max50

slaney160

I don't see anyone complaining about In and Out burger who puts Bible versus on every wrapper and cup. I think this is just awesome and being a private company, it is thier RIGHT.

• Davetux1_max50

dirtydave1

This is just way COOL. I know what I'm buying next.

walleye812

kafba63, I couldn't of put it any better.

charlie1605

I was on the wall about swapping out my Aimpoint M3 for an Acog on my m4 becuase of thier inherant high cost. After reading this artical I will without question be buying an Acog. Trijicon just made a life long customer.

Glock10mmForMe

Trijicon makes great products. I have several guns with their sights on them. Do the verses detract from the utility, appearance, or anything else, regarding this fine product? I didn't think so! Trijicon, keep up the great work!!!!

kafba63

It is a private company - they can inscribe what ever they want on their product. If the customer buying it does not check the merchandise it is their own fault. If a customer does inspect it and does not want the product because it has a bible verse or anything else inscribed on it....buy something else.

Apala005

if the enemy is even getting close enough to be able to read these Bible references isn't that more of a problem...seriously...and these verses are not meant to convert but to encourage and provide strength to our soldiers...people are so against Christians i bet of there was a Buddhist statement on the guns it wouldn't be an issue

CLGarris

i have no personal issue with the bible verse. However, there are only two people responsible here...1st the Contracting Officer who signed the contract and the Official who accepted/inspected the end product for whomever was making the purchase. As a senior contract officer for fed. for 28 yrs. it all falls on the Contract officer...to specify, to approve, to authorize, check acceptance, and authorize payment. Hope those bible verses were FREE. CLGarris I'm ot preaching, just stating the facts. (staunch Catholic - Life-long Democrat - Ex Marine Res.)

• 432nd_tfw_patch_max50

fsa0033

I remember having my religion preference on my dog tags. I just queried my son and he said that this inscription is still being placed on dog tags. So, US soldiers have their belief inscribed on government provided materials to US soldiers.

These scopes are one of the best out there. They provide maximum performance for our troops to eliminate the enemy that our government has identified. The markings are a reference. If they so choose, they may look it up. What a way to get the enemy or non-Christians to read the bible. Clever. If they believe the writings are dangerous, then they must also believe that the words are true. Why else would they be so upset against the references.

If the opposing organizations are demanding to eliminate the markings aren't they offending Judeo-Christians. One commenter stated that we have the freedom of religion, not freedom from religion. If all these entities would follow that principle, they would realize that they are infringing on our rights as Americans. They are the culprits that should be shut down. I wonder why any lawyer doesn't jump on the chance to defend our rights to freedom of religion.

This is just another example of PC run amok. Trijion has been doing this since its inception. Bottom line is that this is a private company and, while we are still the USA and not the USSA ("United" Socialist States of America), we need to remember that both this country and its laws are based on Judeo-Christian principles. "But I don't believe that..." you say. 2+2 still equals 4 no matter how much you "believe" it is 5. Moreover, our very authority as cops is God-ordained in Romans 13:1-7. "You can't say that," you say. 1st Amendment, at least for now, says I can (and the truth is still the truth, regardless of how others may rail against it)!

puncher25

I have been a complete advocate of Trijicon sight systems for years, and I use their "Tri-Power" sight on my duty rifle. Knowing this just makes me stand that much firmer with my belief in their products. Keep up the great work!!

Btjustice_max30
BSPD88 commented on: "David Simms", 5 minutes ago.
Afspa_life_member-back_max30
keeneagle submitted the article: "New figures show rise in prison absconders", 6 minutes ago.
Btjustice_max30
BSPD88 gave a thumbs down to The Topic "Dep. Jacob Daniel Calvin; Tipton Co. SO, IN; EOW: 06-28-14", 7 minutes ago.