News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

News >> Browse Articles >> Officer Down News

Line of Duty Deaths up 900% This Year

Line of Duty Deaths up 900% This Year

Not pictured: Tommy Bishop

Chris Cosgriff / The Officer Down Memorial Page, Inc.

January 14, 2010

With just one day before January’s halfway point, line of duty deaths in 2010 are up 900% compared to the same time last year.

So far in 2010, ten law enforcement officers from nine different states have been killed in the line of duty: Four by gunfire and six in automobile or motorcycle crashes. As we honor their memories, and mourn their loss, every single person in the law enforcement community must also demand that the downward trend in deaths we’ve been experiencing over the past few years doesn’t come to end in 2010. Everyone must work together to remind rookies, veterans, and themselves that it is every cop’s responsibility to be safe out there.

Take it upon yourself to use and share these resources to assist you in that effort:

The National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial’s Drive Safely Campaign serves as a reminder to not only civilians, but also police officers, about the dangers posed on the roadways. Every officer and supporter should participate in the campaign.

For the raw numbers on the number of officers killed in vehicle crashes lately, visit the Officer Down Memorial Page and just take a look at the yearly breakdowns. The numbers are truly sobering.

I am personally calling on all officers to make a conscious decision to:

1) Wear your seatbelts

2) Remember that you’re no good as a backup officer if you don’t arrive

3) Always approach stopped vehicles in the safest location possible

One of the greatest honors a fallen officer can have is that his or her tragic loss saves the lives of other officers in the future. I urge everyone to honor each of this year’s fallen in that way.

For a complete list of this year’s fallen heroes, visit the Officer Down Memorial Page.

Related Reads:

zara454

It is easy to become complacent with traffic stops. This is something that LEO's do over and over again. I have seen so many videos in which officers were caught off guard. Non-complacency is taught in Colleges and in Academy's. It's drilled into our heads. It is something to remember no matter how long an Officer has been doing there job. Please be safe out there! MAY GOD BLESS AND WATCH OVER EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU. AS FOR THE FALLEN, GOD BLESS YOU ALL. KNOW THAT YOUR SACRIFICE WASN'T IN VAIN. TO THE FAMILIES, FRIENDS, FELLOW BROTHER AND SISTERS, YOUR LOVED ONE'S HAVE FALLEN TO BE RISEN TO LOOK AFTER ALL OF YOU AND KEEP YOU SAFE FROM ABOVE AND WHEN I BECOME AN OFFICER I WILL HAVE THAT HONOR TOO.
    Human growth hormone

• Iq_17681836_thumb_max50

tcook23

Great read. Depending up the perspective you take, I could see it either way. Thanks for the insights.

• Iq_17681836_thumb_max50

tcook23

Thanks for the insights, great read. Looking forward to your next post.
    bankruptcy lawyer Indianapolis

• Iq_17681836_thumb_max50

tcook23

That is amazing increase! I would like to hear the author's take on exactly why this is happening. It's obvious the down turn in the economy has something to do with it. People are down on their luck, doing dumb things. Homeless crime is up ten fold too.
    Travel Medical Insurance

• Officer_down2_max160_max50_max50

buck

Chris, Thank you for this sobering outlook, each day we pray for our men and women in the military as we should but we also need to pray for our law enforcement as well. God Bless each one that is out there protecting us each day.

• Cruise_2014_max50

BigNTS

Chris,

I saw that the numbers have been up this year, but never imagined 900%! Can you provide an update on the stat to this point? It seems there's a new report of an officer dying everyday. I don't understand what's happening that is bringing about such an alarming increase.

Keep up he good work.

• Lucylou1_sqr_max50

holy911cow

Chris, thank you for this page. Keep up the good work...

• L_1850110aea2b41ce936f5cf1a85cce8e_max50

Stevo161

900%!!!! May the Lord bless the officer's family and friends affected by these tragedies

• 20140718_195833-1_max50

denise65

I would like to add 4) to the list of conscious decisions if I may:
    4) Become non-complacent. Remember that there is NO such thing as a routine stop.

gatorman

To all my brothers and sisters familys that there loved ones have lost there life in the line of duty my GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU AND YOUR CHILDREN.I can feel your lost even though I didnt know them at all we are all family in the law enforcement feild. I am a correctional officer but I have been threw the trining for my job.And to all my brothers and sister thats still here doing what we do all the time keep on doing what we do the best protect and serve and God Bless all of yall to...

• Sfa_iv_max50

revCCBeasley

This is a number that we would not like to see increasing. This world needs the LEO service, but continuously ignores it efforts. These LEO like soliders gave it all to protect and serve. My heart and respect is truly given.

• Leroy_max50

leroyh

Rest in peace all of the fallen brothers and sisters, and hopefully we learn something from them.

The numbers have gone even higher in since this article was written: we're now up to a dozen. See www.odmp.org for more. Let's be sure we watch each other's "six" out there and keep our tactics and training up to speed. Moreover, the other side of this is a spiritual one. Are you truly ready to meet your Maker (this is still a free coutnry -- at least for now -- so I"ll exercise my right to tell the truth whilst I still can)? Be ready -- all the time

Stay safe brothers and sisters!

Det. M.C. Williams
    Chaplain, The Centurion Law Enforcement Fellowship
    www.TheCenturionLawEnforcementMinistry.org

• On_duty_max50

beachgirl

Rest in peace, Trooper Richey. You were a great cop and so very dedicated, not only to your job but your family as well. May God keep your wife and two children safe in His arms and shield them. Bless you, Brother!

• On_duty_max50

beachgirl

May all of the fallen brothers and sisters rest in peace. They truly paid the ultimate sacrifice and hopefully we can learn something from them. As cops we need to constantly adjust the way we handle situations and learn from other's mistakes.