News >> Browse Articles >> Crime News

Firefighter Resigns After Police Prank

Firefighter Resigns After Police Prank

(Stock Photo)

The AP via YellowBrix

January 12, 2010

LEE, N.H. — A Lee volunteer firefighter has resigned after a prank in which he drove an old police cruiser and used an air horn to pull over a friend in another vehicle.

Police say a passer-by who had heard of two incidents of police impersonation in Rochester mistook it for another such case.

Lee Police Chief Chet Murch tells the New Hampshire Union Leader Richard Santere Jr. was identified after an investigation.

Police say Santere is not responsible for the two cases of impersonation in Rochester.

Murch says Santere has a light bar in his vehicle and an air horn that were permitted in his role as a fire fighter.

Murch says Santere was not charged with a crime.

Other Top News:

Silent_Observer

Seems a bit silly to me.

MsSilky1

This is really too bad. I guess he did feel that he had to resign because he had been seen by a civie. There are already too few of good guys .... now there is one less honorable one. How unfortunate for all of us.

• Warrior_knight_max50

357magnum

OUCH!! Would like to know the whole story, sure there is more. Was it a black and white without decals, etc?? Sometimes what we think is humorous is not to others and could frighten some. Not good. While resigning was probably the best perhaps a reprimand and an apology to those involved would suffice. But, does the guy have any "history?"

• Fallenherobadge-3-1_max50_max50

aussie4

training session would have been a better solution, imho.

bsybee

I think the firemen was correct. in resigning. he knew he was in the wrong. If the bystander had not seen him, nothing would of been said, but being one saw him, the only thing he could of done was to resign. Or get called, on the carpet for posing as an Officer. When he was not. It is an unfortunate situation and miss place judgment of the firefighter, But thinking of himself and the his fellow firefighters he did what was best, Maybe in the future he will think before he acts!

• North_carolina_charlotte_police_max50

armyag

From what I have read, I could not find a law that was broken. There was no victim. There was no intent to commit a crime. .. I think he resign on his own because he is a man of honor and did not want to bring shame to his job. ... Sometimes the smallest things get blown out of preportion.

• Jimatcomputer2_max50

SoldierForChrist

I am a citizen and I total agree with AFSP906 about the liberal mindset. We already don't have near enough LEO's and firemen out there to be over reacting to something like this. From reading the story I am unsure if the citizen caused a big fuss or the fireman resigned to protect his department, but the final word should have been a caution at best to the firefighter and then forgotten. About 20 years ago I walked in to a police station to talk to the desk sergeant about some work I was going to do for his department. When I rounded the corner into his office he immediately pointed a small black pistol at me, shouted something and fired. It did not matter that it was only a bright orange rubber dart headed for my nose. It was all a split-second reaction in my brain telling me a police officer with a gun firing at me. It was a joke! A few seconds after I restarted my heart and changed my pants, I was laughing with the rest of the officers. I was actually honored to think they thought enough of me to feel at ease pulling that little prank. Life is way too short. About 15 years ago a volunteer firefighter arrives at my home in less than 3 1/2 minutes after I called to say my wife had stopped breathing. Because of him my wife and I are celebrating out 33rd anniversary in a few months. God bless all LEOs and firefighters everywhere.

ajs01

People have to lighten up! We'ev all done something some time that was a little ify.

• Angel_kincaid_park_2014_max50

AKangel

NO harm done, Everyone is just to uptight! If LE and Fire do not keep some sort of fun in the loop they may just exlode at some point. Everyone jokes around at work ,why be so critical again.
    No harm done.

• 162935_10150344760130618_807410617_15819971_6937039_n_max50

todaresq

The way it reads to me, he used the air horn only (not siren or the lights). Just a friend honking to his friend... they then both stopped to chat. He possibly just got the vehicle, so it was new to him, and the friend wanted to see it. The passerby that heard the air horn saw the lights on the vehicle and assumed him to be the impersonator. Sure, he should have used the regular car horn if it was still usable, but being a former patrol car, may not have be working.

The press sensationalized it... and many here are assuming it was a prank because of the write up and words used. Did he pull him over in a police sense, or get his attention and they both decided to stop?

We had a pizza delivery guy using a blue light (vol. fire light color in NY) to get pizzas delivered faster... that was abuse.

There was a member of a fire department in our county that drove around with his light going just for fun... that was abuse. He was ticketed and kicked out of the department.

From what I read, what Santere did was in my mind, not illegal, not a prank, and not anything that should have gone past the original complaint by the passerby.

BUSYBODY

Then again, I have to agree with "SKATER", maybe the guy just didn't want to cause any lash back on the fire department as he was only a voluonteer.

BUSYBODY

This is another case of taking the situation too seriously. Unfortunately in this day and age society is consumed with how to act apropriately as is all the angles of what is considered safety for everyone. There was a time when we could pull pranks in school and on the job that we only had to told not to do it again. Seriously there are much more dangerous situations. I don't think an experienced firefighter should quit over a prank. There are people new to the career less likely to act in that manner but have less qualifications for the job.

• 187_ms1_normal_max50

AFSP906

His resignation reminds us all of the liberal influence on our society nowadays.... too bad, pranks are supposed to end up at the pub laughed about over a couple beers...

• Iraq_max50

shooter110

The guy sounds like a yahoo and yahoos will get you in trouble. When does the joke become an infatuation and he starts carrying a gun, or "helping" by showing up to calls, you have to nip this in the bud, too many other "non-yahoo" folks out there.

• 7654571_max50

KendoPt4

Like skater said, he left a volunteer position. How is this newsworthy? Oh yeah, RRB702, why do you keep throwing around the word "citizen" like it is a dirty word? Get over yourself. I pity the fool!

Crumb_passin_thru_02_1__max30
mz66 posted in: "We Can Has some much needed LOL therapy again?", about 1 hour ago.
shmiles received the quiz result of "You have some things your department will want to clear up.", about 1 hour ago.
Patrolcar_pic_max30
Jkaz232 posted in: "Policelink, What happened", about 1 hour ago.
Hmhart182 received the quiz result of "You passed with flying colors", about 2 hours ago.
caledonia received the quiz result of "You passed, but just barely", about 2 hours ago.