News >> Browse Articles >> Crime News

Cops Nail Newark Airport Scare Guy

Cops Nail Newark Airport Scare Guy

New York Daily News via YellowBrix

January 09, 2010

The roving Romeo who threw Newark Airport into panic and chaos when he breached security to cozy up to his girlfriend was tracked down and arrested Friday.

Rutgers University student Haisong Jiang, 28, admitted he was the man caught on security cameras walking down a security checkpoint exit lane into the secure area, Port Authority police said.

Jiang said, “You got me,” when Port Authority cops nabbed him at his Piscataway, N.J., home. He’s accused of defiant trespass but could face more charges, cops said.

The suspect, clad in a tan windbreaker and black pants, cowered behind cops and ignored reporters’ questions as he was led from Port Authority police headquarters at the airport Friday.

Security video shows Jiang loitering around a supposedly secure exit on Sunday manned by a Transportation Security Administration guard in the terminal for several minutes.

When the guard steps away from his post, Jiang scoots under a security rope to join his girlfriend.

The two lovebirds then can be seen hot-footing it, arm-in-arm, into the secure part of the terminal.

The breach delayed more than 100 flights, stranded thousands of passengers and closed the terminal for more than seven hours.

“I don’t think he thought he did anything wrong because he never mentioned what happened,” said a classmate, who gave his name as Hui, 29.

“I’ve known him five years and I’ve never seen him so excited and happy because his girlfriend spent a week here around Christmas,” said Hui.

“She is a very nice girl who’s worried and upset about the incident at the airport,” Hui said. “She called from Los Angeles Friday night to ask what happened. Now she plans to come here in a couple of days to be with him.”

Friends said Jiang, who came to the U.S. from China in 2004, is in a doctorate molecular bioscience program at Rutgers and had never been in trouble with the law.

• Iii_max50

ill_taze_u_bro

Looks like to me like the blame here should fall mostly on the TSA officer, not to say that Jiang didn't do anything wrong. I don't know what the elements of this tresspassing are, but I would think that intent/malace would be a requirement. I don't believe that he intended to do anything wrong.

• 183974_10150146586172640_115059992639_7801208_7665591_n_1__max50

TearsofPower

"Lawmantukes" I sure can appreciate what you are saying and would even agree with you on that topic. I also would say that it does not
    matter what jobs they had prior than the TSA job that they now hold, but it is still no excuse period. I believe in personal responsbilty and am very disappointed that people are not made to face it. Plus I do believe the kid should be punished and have to give to what was lost to me and to te others that were there, but first and foremost 100% of the blame should be shouldered by the TSA Officer and the kid admitted to his actions, went without a fight when picked up. I would also say that it would be great for more people to realize that it starts with the security detail not just the suspect!!!

• Aaa_max50

beejac

That TSA guard that left his post is an insult to security.

• Img_0103_max50

LAWMANTUKES

"TearsofPower" I can tell you through experience that the TSA has working for them, a lot of questionable persons. When they first started hiring TSA guards, alot of them came from former jobs like frying chicken and flipping hamburgers. Not to say that those aren't honorable positions to have. But..!! the experience of the majority of those that were hired by TSA, were not your former military, former law enforcement or not a majority of former security minded background employees. Its as if they scooped up a handful, and threw it against the wall, hoping something stuck..!!!

• Img_0103_max50

LAWMANTUKES

This young and foolish minded nuckelhead, is an example of many simple minded people in this country to-day that have absolutely no clue about our efforts in fighting terrorism. Even his simple minded girlfriend dosen't seem to get it. And after causing the termoil and delays of all of those thousands of people trying hard to reach their destinations, he should be ordered to reimburse part of the cost. Even his cluless girfriend should be made to share the consequences of his actions.

***The air-headed TSA guard who left his post was identified as Ruben Hernandez. He reportedly is on administrative leave and faces possible disciplinary action.***

This guy had better be facing some serious disciplinary action!!! With everything that the public has to do to fly now-a-days, and this guy pulls a stunt like this!!! COME ON!

Don't get me wrong, I am in NO WAY defending the stupidity of the kid, but the TSA employee is darn lucky that the kid wasn't planning or had something else planned!

• 183974_10150146586172640_115059992639_7801208_7665591_n_1__max50

TearsofPower

I was one of those in the mass exdous of treminal C due to this lovesick boy. I can forgive the boy but I can not forgive the TSA Officer that left his post without relief, we are forced to be herded as cattle through the security process which we get yelled at, made to take our shoes off, and am limited to prentages of fluids, limited what we can take on and through the gates. Not only should they fine the lovesick boy but theY should fire and fine the TSA Officer who enessence was the ulimate cause of this BS...... PUT THE BLAME ON THE PERSON WHO ALLOWED THIS, YES THAT WOULD BE THE TSA OFFICER ULIMATLEY....HE NEGLECTED HIS POST WHICH ALLOWED FOR THAT BOY TO GET THROUGH, SO HOW MANY OTHERS COULD HAVE DONE THE SAME..... By the way that trip costed me even more money cause my flight got canceled due to this empolyees stupidty, I had to rent a car and then drive 7 hours more even though I had been up since 0500 that sunday morning.. I had to pay in tolls and lack of sleep, I was supposed to be at work that Monday night, Plus I had no idea when I was getting my Luggage back due to all the playing catch up that the airlines had to do... We all can understand the boy but why is it that not many see that ulimately this could have been avioded if that TSA Officer did his job and had regard for the safety of himself and others.

• Me_max50

THREE17

What love can do...$$$ send him the bill

Jiang...
    For a Molecular Biology Doctorate candidate...
    Well, you just show very poor judgement...
    I am glad I have been out of CUNY for a while now.... (So I won't have to meet you...)
    The PAPD will surely show you the light... Reality check man...!
    Gotta grow up to the real world man... Is not a Lab Worshop or Experiment...
    Stop the kid's BS... Crap.

• W-swat1_max50

cvarain

TSA our tax dollars hard at work.

I agree with csp1195ret. Send this idiot a huge bill.

send him a bill for all the man/woman hours into this investigation fine him big

• 2002_chevy_toolbox_090_max50

Hardcopy69

ummmmmm

• Radio2_max50

FireDad

Some of these TSA guys are a bunch of airheads.. I am glad that this guy not only got arrested but that he admitted he broke the law. What he did affected lots and lots of people..

• Ba_old_glory_max50

Jonas

I feel so warm and fuzzy knowing America's airport security is in such capable hands! NOT!!!!!!!!!!

1__5__max30
numaislam009 submitted the article: "$$[[[[Watch]]]] The.Barclays.2014.Live.Stream", 1 minute ago.
10600512_550371158419560_5073096125701262996_n_max30
bdclass submitted the article: "PGA (Tour)!!@ The Barclays 2014 Live Stream Ridgewood", 9 minutes ago.
10600512_550371158419560_5073096125701262996_n_max30
bdclass submitted the article: "PGA Tour@@Watch The Barclays 2014 Live Streaming", 21 minutes ago.
latmilli45 posted in: "Introduction", 21 minutes ago.
10600512_550371158419560_5073096125701262996_n_max30
bdclass submitted the article: "Yahoo tv@@ Watch The Barclays 2014 Live Streaming Golf Tour", 24 minutes ago.