News >> Browse Articles >> Crime News

Lakewood Police Get Sad Reminder of Recent Tragedy

Lakewood Police Get Sad Reminder of Recent Tragedy

Pierce County Sheriff Paul Pastor talks to reporters near the scene of a shooting that involved two Pierce County Sheriff's deputies. (AP Photo)

The News Tribune via YellowBrix

December 23, 2009

Monday night’s shooting of two Pierce County sheriff’s deputies hit home for Lakewood police, less than a month after they lost four officers at the hands of a single shooter.

This time, tragedy struck 30 miles southeast, near Eatonville. Lakewood sent four or five patrol cars to assist at the scene and provide backup, Police Chief Bret Farrar said Tuesday.

“My people were just happy to help,” he said. “Bottom line is, we’re all law enforcement. We help each other out.”

Lakewood’s connection to the incident runs even deeper because one of the victims, Sgt. Nicholas Hausner, patrolled the city’s streets as a deputy before Lakewood formed its own department in 2004.

Farrar said he was a detective when Hausner was a deputy in Lakewood, though the two didn’t work directly with each other.

Monday’s shooting sent shock waves through the Lakewood police force, which lost Sgt. Mark Renninger and officers Ronald Owens, Tina Griswold and Greg Richards at a Parkland coffee shop Nov. 29. Maurice Clemmons, their killer, was shot dead by a Seattle police officer a few days later.

The department has since participated in dozens of vigils and other ceremonies. At one point, a makeshift memorial outside its headquarters stretched around a street corner. One example of how the city has started to find closure: The memorial was gone Tuesday.

Monday’s shootings were a reminder of the daily perils faced by those wearing a police uniform.

“It’s another tragedy,” said Lakewood assistant chief Mike Zaro. “It delays everybody’s ability to move forward. It’s very sad.”

Meanwhile, a Facebook page dedicated to the four slain Lakewood officers turned into a cathartic place for residents to express concern and outrage about the latest police shootings.

“God, I pray you hold these 2 Sheriff’s in your healing hand & watch over their families, & all brothers & sisters in the force during this difficult time. Please do not let us lose any more officers,” wrote Sue Green Meister in a post Tuesday afternoon.

“What can be done about this??? I think I’m gonna be sick … I pray for all of us!” Teresa A. Hunt wrote shortly before midnight Tuesday.

bsybee

My arms of prayers stretch out to everyone that knew these officer. They didn't deserve to die this way. May God Bless them all. And to my friend for the loss of her father.

• Angel_kincaid_park_2014_max50

AKangel

ALL LEO'S MAY THE LORD HOLD YOU AND KEEP YOU SAFE!
    LORD PLEASE BE WITH THESE OFFICERS IN THEIR HEALING
    KEEP THE FAITH!
    ALASKA ANGEL SENDS HER LOVE AND PRAYERS

• 1012081619-1_max50

Chaplain01

This hits close to home with me in big way. I pray for all of the LEO's and families as well as for protection from this happening again.

• Picture_053_max50

Bike1

I pray that the lord keep all of us LEO's safe and that we watch each others back as much as possible. There is no care in the world for us, so all we got is each other. May God bless all of my fellow brothers and sisters out there. Keep your head low and your aim sharp.

Virginia

As a former Virginia State Trooper, I know what the police go through. We should all back and pray for our heroes.

• Cop_cat_max50

Keetay

May the Lord keep all of our Police officers safe and their families too!

• Car6_max50

Ahi

1990 Comments

God bless all Police officers, be safe!

• Patch_max50

rcs2052

Pray for all of us

Could not have been said any better!

It's looking like a chain reaction affect. Because 1 person started it, it has opened the gates for anyone who has ever wanted to hurt a cop, to do it.

• Img_0490_max50

matsnap

I have a co-worker who said that more officers are killed at this time of the year. I'm new to Public Safety, and I hope that the numbers go down in 2010. My heart and prayers go out to the families, friends, and co-workers.

• Pug_max600_max50

DALLASCRANE

19382 Comments

God Bless the Centurions in these desperate times. My heart is sad. My faith is strong.

• Image_max50

usa_24

I have to agree with copinlaww. These men and women in Law enforcement are all heroes. R.I.P

These men are heroes. RIP

Good comment Jonas. I think that when times are tough for people they react in strange and crazy ways. I don't think it's anything new, but runs in cycles. I hope it ends soon.

Blue_candle_holiday_memory_max30
IamQnMutha posted in: "Policelink, What happened", 7 minutes ago.
macknjeqi submitted the article: "Waratahs vs Crusaders Live Streaming Super Rugby Final", 16 minutes ago.
fossthehoss gave a thumbs up to The Topic "Failed Polygraph for employing counter-measures?", 22 minutes ago.
ollimresmi posted: "so far include 28", 23 minutes ago.