News >> Browse Articles >> Officer Down News

Jurors Recommend Death Sentence For Calif. Cop Killer

The AP via YellowBrix

December 23, 2009

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. — Jurors have recommended the death penalty for a 26-year-old man convicted of killing a police officer in California.

The same jurors who convicted Alberto Alvarez of murder with special circumstances in November determined Tuesday that he should be sentenced to death. Alvarez was found guilty of fatally shooting 38-year-old Officer Richard May in 2006 in East Palo Alto.

San Mateo County Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe told jurors during the trial that Alvarez shot May to avoid going back to prison for a parole violation. Alvarez testified he opened fire because he feared for his life.

Defense attorney Charles Robinson says he expects his client to seek an appeal, with the appeal process expected to take 10 or 15 years.

• Sfa_iv_max50

revCCBeasley

Good job by the jury as they considered all the facts...

bsybee

In my opinion If you point a gun at me, you will be dead, I have a 98%. On my weapon, moving, But I wouldn't shot till I feel it was absolutely necessary. Without first trying to talk the person out. By using what ever method I could. But bottom line, after giving warnings and no response, I would of shot. Laming first. With shots fired back, knowing it was him or I. It would be I. That would be standing.You can't regret what was and what is. You do the job you were trained to do. To up hold the Law!

• Photo_user_banned_big

christianc826

Sorry, but no one deserves to die. Not even if they themselves killed someone. You must understand that Alvarez more than likely only killed the officer out of a panic when he wasn't thinking, and also more than likely feels horrible and wishes he hadn't done it. Not even just because he's in jail. I know I've done stupid things that I regretted later because I panicked or simply wasn't thinking. Please don't get me wrong. I am NOT sympathizing with Alvarez in any way. I'm simply stating that, in my personal opinion, no one deserves to die, and no one should ever wish death upon another human being for any reason. Yes, what he did was evil and wrong, and I do understand why there is a very, VERY good reason to be incredibly upset that this happened, because I am, too. What happened to May was a tragedy. But don't we have enough people dying in this world? Murder is murder. No matter who is doing it, and no matter what the reason. If Alvarez is put to death, the ones that kill him will be no better than he is. There are people that care about him, too. Just like May. He's a human being, not an animal. I'm not trying to offend anyone here. Simply stating how I feel.

• Img_1159_max50

BlueBlood4617

This is unfortunate, not the part about the jury recommending the death penalty, but that he even gets the chance to get an appeal. Ive got a recommendation of my own, you pull the trigger toward a police officer (whether they are struck or not), you should be killed. Bottom line, no exceptions. They should all get what they deserve, a short drop and a sudden stop.

• 450312-r1-12-12_013_max50

BillJ

I agree with getocop; Hang the B##$%^&* by his balls for an hour then hang him high by the neck until dead

• Tigerstripe_002_max50

Daysend

Great, now in 10-15 years maybe the score will be just a little bit more even. I'm sure this officers life was worth 30 or 40 Alvarez's.

• Life_giving_sword_max50

getocop

SENSIBLE, DID SOMEONE SAY SENSIBLE. 10-15 YEARS OF APPEALS IS NOT SENSIBLE. HANG HIM NOW AND HANG HIM HIGH .CA STILL HAS THE MOST SCREWED UP JUDICIAL STSTEM IN THE COUNTRY. NO OFFENCE AZmeangreen,l worked the L.A. streets for twenty years. THE SYSTEM WAS BROKE THEN AND IT APPARENTLY IS STILL BROKE.

• Car6_max50

Ahi

1990 Comments

Good call, hopefully it goes through!

bluebrother

Score one for the good guys.

• Meangreen01_max50

AZmeangreen

About time something sensible came out of CA!

• Radio2_max50

FireDad

The jury did a good job.. Now they need to follow through with the sentence..

Death is a very good recommendation!

• Anonymous-killer-whale-232189_1__max50

Whalewatcher

Typical California BS., letting a known gang member and proven cop killer languish on Death Row, while the officer's family, friends and coworkers have relive everything each time an appeal runs its course. Jonas, you may just be right about this !! Guess this why the term "Swift Justice" is an oxymoron nowadays ....

• Untitledma28839986-0002_max50

Irishcop1961

Great job by the jury.

• 100_1019_max50

bobska

Fry his ass. None of this stupid appeal bullshit.

CHAPE received the quiz result of "You handle danger with Courage", about 1 hour ago.
Female_bodysurfer_max30
MarlyB commented on: "Bob Perkins", about 1 hour ago.
10600512_550371158419560_5073096125701262996_n_max30
liveonline55 submitted the article: "[Full HD]The. Barclays. 2014. live. stream. Golf. Online", about 1 hour ago.
10600512_550371158419560_5073096125701262996_n_max30
liveonline55 submitted the article: "PGA TOUR Live: The Barclays 2014 Streaming Free", about 2 hours ago.
10600512_550371158419560_5073096125701262996_n_max30
liveonline55 submitted the article: "The Barclays 2014 live online Streaming Golf", about 2 hours ago.