News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

K-9 Bites Cop During Burglary Call

K-9 Bites Cop During Burglary Call

Stock Photo

San Francisco Chronicle via YellowBrix

December 18, 2009

ALAMEDA — An Alameda police dog trying to flush out a burglary suspect was shot and killed by an officer Thursday after the dog attacked her and bit her arm, a police spokesman said.

Billy, a Belgian Malinois, and his handler were among those responding to a burglary at the Coast Guard recruiting center at 660 Central Ave. shortly before 6:15 a.m., police Lt. Bill Scott said.

Billy bit a uniformed officer assisting on the call. The dog did not let go when his handler ordered him to do so, and the officer being bitten shot him three times, killing him, Scott said. The officer, whose name was not released, has been with the department two years. She was treated for bite wounds to her left arm at Highland Hospital in Oakland and was released.

Immediately after the dog was shot, burglary suspect Douglas Wayne Kirk, 56, emerged with items he had allegedly stolen but refused to surrender, Scott said. He was arrested after a brief struggle and was treated at Alameda Hospital for minor lacerations, police said.

He told officers that he was the one who was supposed to have been shot, Scott said. Police later determined that Kirk had called police himself to report the break-in, leading investigators to believe that Kirk had tried to set up a confrontation with police, Scott said.

Billy had been with the department for more than three years and was assigned to his current handler in September.

On May 5, another police Belgian Malinois died after being left inside an Alameda officer’s personal sport utility vehicle as the officer attended a use-of-force training exercise.

After several hours, the officer returned to his vehicle – which had at least one window down for ventilation – and found his dog near death. The dog died at a veterinary hospital. The officer was not charged.

Police said the handler in that case was not the officer who was Billy’s handler.

The department has suspended the use of its two remaining police dogs pending a review of “all the facets” of the K-9 program, including the circumstances that led up to Billy being deployed and his death, Scott said.

• Tn_max50

HCSO531

this is a call gone bad frrom the word go.. Since this Kirk subject called in a prank burglary and a fellow K9 officer died then damn this guys soul to hell

• Orion_mouth_max50

K9DELTA

As part of a K9 orientation for patrol officers, I always stress that K9's do not know the difference between the bad guys and the good guys. Bites do happen. But please, do not shoot the K9. The handler should remove the K9 in a manner which will minimize injury to the officer. Keep in mind that they are our partners and family members.

Predd25

This is also current news with the Alameda Police. It's been a bad year for this department and things keep going from bad to worst.

The head of the city's internal affairs division was arrested on charges of trying to steal people's presciption medicine. The cop, Ronald R. Jones, 48, had been on the force for 26 years. He formerly was head of APD's narcotics and vice division. According to the Alameda Journal, Jones allegedly told the family members of deceased residents that police were offering a service to dispose of medication. APD has no such service.

Predd25

Views of an Alameda citizen:

I live in Alameda and I can tell you the cops abuse and mistreat their dogs. Alameda has become a training ground for oakland and the quailty of service has gone down the toliet. I also fear that because these trainees don't live in our town, don't plan on making careers here, that they don't have to respect the people who pay their saleries. And this attidute is spreading to our more seasoned police officers. But the K9 units in Alameda are probley the worst bunch of cops on our force.

This is not the 1st dog who died in the care of an alameda police officer. Just recently in the news was this story and it's very important to connect the two.

Incident Date: Tuesday, May 5, 2009
    County: Alameda

Disposition: Not Charged

Abuser names unreleased

Alameda police are investigating a K-9 officer dog died after being left in the officer's personal car for several hours during a training session.

Police Lt. Bill Scott says the unidentified officer left the 6 1/2-year-old Belgian Malinois inside his SUV with at least one window open while attending a training exercise May 5.

When the officer returned after 3 hours, 15 minutes, the dog was "in distress." The dog was taken to a vet where it was declared dead. The cause of death is under investigation.

According to the National Weather Service, the high temperature in the area that day was 70 degrees.

The police forwarded the case to the Alameda County district attorney's office on Wednesday. Prosecutors will determine whether the officer will face criminal charges.

That said. I myself have encountered an Alameda K9 Cop (a mid fourties philipino man and his trainee) and I can tell you they are a disgrace to public service. I myself am a law obaying citezen who has spent his life in alameda with a clean police and driving record. I want to be a firefighter and am almost done with my Fire science AA. Nobody would ever say I'm a thug. That is nobody but this alameda k9 cop. He tried to give me a ticket on a private road owned by my homeowners association for not using a blinker and coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. I tried to make him aware that this wasn't in his traffic juristion. Then he called me " A thug that he wouldn't trust around his family if they needed medical attention" And he wrote the ticket anyways just to inconvience me for correcting him. What an ASS!

(you don't mess with someone as smart as me and get away with it. I fought the ticket in court, but I had it planned out to make him look as stupid as possible so the judge could see what kind of guy he really was. First I made him tell the judge he has been a cop for 16 years in Alameda. Then I asked him to decribe a regulation stop sign (cause ours is just a sign someone bought at a store and nailed to a fence with no stop line on the ground) he failed. Then I surprised the judge by addressing the rookie cops all waiting their turn for their cases and I asked if they were fimiliar with my street and they all said yes. Then I asked them if they were all aware that it was a private road, and they all said yes. So a bunch of rookies knew stufff, and this cop didn't, about his own beat of 16 years, and the judge cracked up laughing and said I should be a laywer, and dismissed my case. I followed up with a converastion with his superior officer about the inciedent.)

Also I don't know if this is relevant or not but my friend "Max" also had an encounter with an alameda cop and his K9 a few years ago. I think he was just a teenager trustpassing somewhere and possibley up to some sort of mischief. An alameda cop let his dog go on him while he was in cuffs and he got some pretty bad bites from it. I think he sued the city for like half a million bucks and won on the grounds of police brutality.

Currently they have suspsended K9 activites with the alameda police. And I hope for the love of god it stays that way because they are not humane people who care for them.

• Bonsie_boy_max50

scsok9

Accidental bites happen. The bottom line is I was not there so I don't know all of the details, but the bite is going to hurt and you are going to get medical treatment anyways. Take the pain and save the dog no one is going to die from a bite on the arm.

• 1460209889_m_max50

Strobelight140

Is Douglas Wayne Kirk (aka...POS) going to be charged in this?????? It did happen during the commission of (his) a crime!!!!

• Pug_max600_max50

DALLASCRANE

19382 Comments

Douglas Wayne Kirk, the suspect called police to come get him and create a confrontation? Was this another SBC situation? If there were mistakes, hopefully this will lead to improvements. RIP K-9s, Billy and Marco. The Bible tells us there are animals in Heaven. Both Billy and Marco will surely be there.

• Chris_and_i_in_uniform_max50

JP503

I agree with K9Hammer. Gotta love monday night quarter backs

• Dscn0118_max50

Adladle

RIP Billy.

GMEN48

I UNDERSTAND IT WAS A BAD TACTICAL MOVE TO SEND THE DOG IN WITH THE FEMALE OFFICER. THE HANDLER SHOULD HAVE WENT IN WITH THE DOG ON A LEASH. UNTIL HE CAN LOCATE THE PERSON THEY WAS LOOKING FOR.

• Img_0103_max50

LAWMANTUKES

"K9Hammer" You sir are absolutely correct..!! And as for all of you "Civilian Pukes" out there with a lot to say about something you don't know anything about..; "DRY-UP AND BLOW AWAY..!!!"

• Img_0103_max50

LAWMANTUKES

Sounds like this "Kirk" A$$ hole should be charged with "Manslaughter" for the unfortunate death of the Police K-9. Because of his actions, the rest of this sad and unfortunate episode.. unfolded.
    Even though the K-9 lost control, if it weren't for this A$$ Wipe's..&^&^%><@#!#%^&%#@!!##!!!..actions, then perhaps this would not have taken place in the first place..!!

• Img00039_max50

bfriskey

Should have just read K9Hammer, yep, thats what I'm saying..

• Img00039_max50

bfriskey

I'd rather shoot a human than a dog. The human knows what he did wrong, the dog is doing what we trained him to do..Sad story , sad day for humanity. Sorry the officer felt the need to shoot. I don't wan to second guess and I am NOT judging but I would hold still and wait until I couldn't unless of course the dog is ripping and tearing, that's another story ......So sorry for all

• Img_2734_max50

NorthernCop

What a sad story, I don't know what to say.

Anonymous-killer-whale-232189_1__max30
Whalewatcher commented on: "David Simms", 24 minutes ago.
Meagain_max30
nicolemlawler gave a thumbs up to The Post "Introduction", 38 minutes ago.
Meagain_max30
nicolemlawler gave a thumbs up to The Post "Introduction", 38 minutes ago.