Education >> Browse Articles >> Degree Profiles

Master's Degree in Criminal Justice

Master's Degree in Criminal Justice

PoliceLink

As with an undergraduate degree in Criminal Justice, a Master’s degree in the field is used to enhance a career in the criminal justice field. In most cases, the degree is sought after and obtained by highly motivated leaders in public service, such as the command staff of a law enforcement agency or directors in federal law enforcement.

The coursework for a Criminal Justice degree at this level deals more with an analysis of understanding crime and how social and public policies influence it.

Often times, degree seekers have already spent several years in their career and are able to take advantage of promotional potentials by obtaining the degree. However, as more and more agencies – especially federal agencies – require applicants with degrees, a Master’s in Criminal Justice is becoming increasingly popular in helping candidates obtain entry level jobs.

PoliceLink Degree Center

HotTruman

Hello guys!! I have a 4 year degree and work as a Judicial Officer for my state. My co-workers are either attorneys or former judges. We all have to pass the same exam to be what we are. Having said that, I want my Master's in Criminal Justice, but I want credit for my past life/work experiences to count for something. My job certification is equal to 2 1/2 years of law school. Where can I find at the very least a state approved school, very low tuition that offers suc??? Thanks guys!!!

kiley77

I think its better to a cyber criminal degree now. The way things are moving, this seems the best bet for job security. http://www.angieslist.com/angieslist/

yourtaxpayer

A friend of mine recommended I study for my master's degree in Criminal Justice using a number of different methods. My biggest fear is that I would be like all the other people in this country without a job right now if I wasn't top of my class. I'm working on it and should I be successful, I will let you know! Thanks for the lead!

• Me_love_max50

SWATOfficer

S.W.A.T.

• Dcheadshot_max50

magicdc

SKB, my advice would be to continue and attempt to get your masters in something science related or possibly forensic psych. This, with your nurse background would serve you better than a masters in CJ. My wife and several friends are nurses, and trust me, you will not be satisfied with the pay you get with an entry level CJ position. You may be able to get a job in a lab or something similar if you wanted with a degree in science or forensics if this interests you.

SKB

I am a Registered Nurse of 16 years. I want out. I have been dying to cross over into the CJ world but am not for sure if it would be a smart idea pursuing a Masters of CJ with absolutely no background in it. Where exactly do I start? What type of entry level would I seek? Will the pay be satisfying? Say at least 75K.... Thanks!

bevisatwood

Criminal justice degrees are much in demand these days. Lately i have come to know that you can earn criminal justice online degree as well. Its easier to go for such programs if you cant go to school due to some time constraints.

cclink

wow can't wait till i become a FBI but i know why they get paid a lot? it;s because the die way to easy because there car say FBI n there Clothes say FBI n they always got to go n the getto n say FBI frehzzes. then they die. >>>>>>>>THE END???????????>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Photo_user_banned_big

davivjinan123

I just wartsila want to emphasize wartsila good work on wartsila , has excellent wartsila views and a clear vision of what you are looking for wartsila

Viola

It seems to me to obtain entry level jobs it is not neccessary to have Master's degree. I'm sure it is better to obtain it when you are quite experienced and have some new ideas about your work.
    Viola http://www.mp3hounddog.com

• Dcheadshot_max50

magicdc

Okay, I posted this in another area but it seems more appropriate here:
    How far do you go with education? I am working on my Masters now (Tiffin University in Ohio). I was told it was a waste of time by one person in my chain of command who has a college degree, and it was encouraged by another who does not have any college experience. I have a long time to retire so will an advanced degree at the graduate level aid me now? Should I have spent the money on getting more training in a specific area of expertise rather than another degree. Any suggestions?

Also, in my experience analysis and understanding, as well as policy and administration are all part of my program, as well as others at my college. Before you can write a policy, you must understand why you need it. With the increase in information led policing, analysis and intelligence are coming to the forfront of the CJ world.

sounds like they described more of a "criminology" program... advanced cj degrees are more administration of justice & development of policy post-crime than the study of crime & causation.
    course, it varies school to school. in my experience (albeit limited), this is pretty misleading.

xueleng

I'm not sure where they're trying to guide us to.. but it seemed like a master degree wouldn't quite matter unless you have tons of experience in law enforcement enable to enhanced their salary...

• Tombraidertj_max50

tmbrdr69

Looking for a school to comlete a degree online is quite simple. Type Masters Degree in Criminal Justice or Administration of Justice online into your search engine. The other option is to visit this link

Having a graduate degree will defintly help you enter management in a local department. However if you are looking to get into federal law enforcement this not the end of your educaiton. I would actually recommend that you complete a degree in something other than Criminal Justice. The FBI will not even look at you with a Masters Degree in Criminal Justice according to their recruiting website. To have a background in Criminal Justice and join the FBI you need to be a lawyer.
    I completed my Master of Science Degree through University of Phoenix. The course of study was 12 classes, and did not require a thesis. Additionally, the university requires that you be working in the field with 3 years experience. The bonus in this case is how long University of Phoenix has been providing distance learning sense 1976.

• Mourning_badge_max160_1__max50

hpd350

Good article, donaldvmanson gives better info. Thanks!