Premium Content for Members Only

Become a Cop >> Browse Articles >> 10 Steps to Joining the Force

Step 1: Learn About the Law Enforcement Field

Step 1: Learn About the Law Enforcement Field

Many people have a preconceived notion of law enforcement based on the sensational scenes shown on the news or at the movies. But what is it really like to be a street cop? Or a federal agent? Or a conservation officer? There are hundreds of career paths within law enforcement and all are done for the love of it – not for the promise of fortune or fame. Find out the basics about law enforcement here, including:

• Types of agencies: local police departments ...

• Photo_user_banned_big

cconline

12 days ago

Hey guys if you are looking to join law enforcement do yourself a big favor and check out Career Cop which shows you all the ropes on getting through the law enforcement hiring process and passing oral boards etc. Go check it out here http://careercop.com/go/ I promise you won't be disappointed!

• Meeeee_max50

SydneyC

20 days ago

I myself am only 15 but i'm seriously considering this field for the future, my only concern in the income aspect. I've heard that law enforcement doesn't get paid well, is this true? Money is not a priority but I would like to ensure that ends get met. Also If anyone has some pros and cons of being a female officer, any help is greatly appreciated.

26yowtb

29 days ago

I am 26 and will be another year maybe two before i earn associates degree in Criminal Justice. Is it to late for me to become a police officer? I have no military exp. please help me know if i have a chance at a job of protecting my family and state. thank you

zakattack

about 1 month ago

i am 18 years old and i am still in high school but i would like to know the steps to take to get ready for the police academy?

jermieponzoo

2 months ago

hey i would like to be come a cop i have been thinking in about for a long time

SamPerry

3 months ago

I am 23 years old and looking to pursue my career in the law enforcement field by becoming a police officer. I should have enough credits by the end of this year to complete my associates degree in Criminal Justice. With my degree i am hoping to pursue my bachelors in Criminal Justice. However, i was wondering if you have any suggestions on how to jump start my career and gain some experience? i keep hearing that my goal of becoming a police officer is getting harder and harder , and that my lack of military experience will keep me from getting hired. Any suggestions will be great! , please & thank you!

Racheal77

3 months ago

Im 23 years old and just trying to figure out what I need to do to join or apply for the police academy. I do have a GED

Tolson5604

5 months ago

i have been a corrections officer for five years going on six years with the state of virgina . graduated from ASD with honors and was on strike force at augusta correctional center for three Years . i would lik to become a Conservation Law Enforcement officer any suggestions on how to and were to start

• Cm1_max50

khaught1997

6 months ago

I am seventeen years old, I am looking forward to going in the police academy in the future. I will be graduating from Gerald R. Ford Job Corps with a high school diploma and a international federal protection officer certification. I was wondering what would be a great police academy? Some peers have told me go to The State Police academy. Please Comment what you think????

• Img_5617_max50

shikahgho

8 months ago

I am 30 years old and reside in the chicagoland area. I've been focusing a lot on pursuing my career as CPD. AND I can honestly say this site has helped me a lot. I passed my written exam, and I'm patiently waiting to takethe next steps.

jhfigel

8 months ago

I am 38 years old and would like to pursue a career in law enforcement. I would like to become a police officer but concerned my age is a big factor. Im not sure where to start looking to see what potential job field i should look in. If im too old to be a cop what are other options in law enforcement. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Scouter

9 months ago

I am 17 years old and live in everett washington. im looking for a police explorers post relatively close to everett, but am considering the federal way branch. the thing is, im supposed to buy my own gear and i dont know what i can/cant get, what i need,etc. i have a verry baisic description of the uniform for the post, and need help. does anyone know where i can find this, or know what is required? id reall appreciate it.

Daguardian

10 months ago

Hello, i am 25 years old and looking to pursue a career in law enforcement once i am done serving with the military. With all my training and experience, do i still need to attend all 44-60 weeks of police academy training in the state of Florida?

marinemom120

about 1 year ago

My son is 19 and just graduated Marine Corps bootcamp. He is in the reserve, and interested in becoming a police officer. What does he need to do, is he old enough? Thank you in advance.

jws032

over 1 year ago

do you need a college degree to become a police officer? how do you apply to a police academy?