Premium Content for Members Only

Become a Cop >> Browse Articles >> 10 Steps to Joining the Force

Step 2: Decide if You're Ready

Step 2: Decide if You're Ready

Will you fit in? Are you old enough? Are you too old? Do you have a criminal record? Understand the basic requirements of joining a department here with:

• Basic eligibility requirements

• Reasons to join

• Benefits overview

• Law Enforcement vs. Civilian Comparison

Basic Eligibility Requirements

Eligibility requiremen...

Mwsallam2009

24 days ago

I'm a recent immigrant to the states and I have a green card. I'm 35 yo and have a PhD in biology, however I'm interested in working in police career. Am I eligible to join police academy? Thanks

NickStanton

I had a misdemeanor charge of drug par. When i was 18 it was a young mistake and it's the only thing ive ever been charged with. Is there anything i can do to make this go away so i can have a chance to become a police officer?

freetheradio79

I had a surgery and developed an opiate dependency, I went to treatment and have been sober for 5 yrs. Would I be able to become a detective anywhere in the u.s?

KGonzalez

Hi, I am 19 years old going to 20 and I want to become a crime scene investigator. I really want more information about this. Who can I talk to that can give me more advice about it and talk more about this job. I need for information about this for it can boot me up for I can be on my way to what I want.

• 111112-161708_max50

jcorrow1992

You do not have to be 21 at all departments.

I come from a bad background and have tried to move on since and now I'd like to help better my community but I had the misfortune to grow up with a meth addicted mother would it disqualify me if I made bad decisions as a young child.

copgal007

I am more than ready!

• Me_max50

lemmonw

I'm ready!

emanr1993

do u have to be 21 to talk to someone? do u have to meet the right weight for u to do it. i never went to jail before never did drugs but i wondering how could i talk to someone. right now i live in a shellter so i wonder how could i get more info of being a cop.

snovom12

I would like to one day be employed by a Federal Investigative Agency. I currently am finishing my BA in Environmental Studies. My question is, considering my end goal, should I attempt to attain my Masters in CJ (or related/similar) before or after attaining police employment? Would the Masters in CJ help me attain employment? Thanks in advance

Shaffy1

I experimented with drugs in college, will that disqualify me from joining the academy and becoming a cop?

zamudio1316

Hello,I like to go in the law enforcement.but my licence was suspended about a year ago..does anybody know if that disquilify me???

jdodt08

hello, im 19 goin on 20 and i really want to go in to swat but i want to take the best possible path to doing so. i want to make the best out of my career and be very successful but i honestly need some good advise to get me started on my way.

vinman

what is the cut off age ?

• Carolina_hurricanes_2000_max50

TCoutrier

i want to be an officer so badly, but i am only 17... :( at least i have a lot of time to meet all of the requirements

Img_0957_max30
FitnessHybrid joined the group "Cruiser Pics", less than a minute ago.
Img_0957_max30
FitnessHybrid joined the group "ASK A REAL COP A QUESTION", 4 minutes ago.
25-1-13-a_1__max30
SkoolCop posted in: "Another "Previous Drug Use" Question", 14 minutes ago.
Img_0957_max30
FitnessHybrid commented on: "Emily H", 18 minutes ago.
dkarnehm12 received the quiz result of "0-50% correct", 21 minutes ago.