Become a Cop >> Browse Articles >> 10 Steps to Joining the Force

9 Tips for Rookie Success

PoliceLink

Being the new guy isn’t easy. It’s even harder when you’re entering a group as close-knit as a police force. It can be intimidating and confusing, but don’t let your rookie status stand in the way of success.

Check out these 9 tips that can help you succeed as a rookie and grow into a seasoned, knowledgeable veteran.

See The List >>>

• Belgian-malinois-picture_max50

rookiewanabee

this article is spot on. i can't wait to start my time and start learning this job.

Huckleberry911

Man that could have helped me with alot of stress during my fto period. anyone currently in a fto program just remember to relax and learn it will all be over soon.

• Osp_patch_icon_max50

trooper15

WOW. wish they would have posted this when i was with my f.t.o. the best advice here though is owning up to your mistakes....as a rookie your going to make some...its just going to happen..remember we are held to the highest standards of integrity...lying is the worse thing you can do no matter how dumb of a move you might have made....own it.....other than that i say read Timerooskys post....he also gave some great advice...

ebanks

I can't wait 8 more months and im done with everything.

• David_272_max50

coats04

good info.

• Zuperman_max50

josh91

WOW VERY GOOD TIPS ON BEING A ROOKIE NICE JOB THANKS

• Jack-sparrow-pirates-of-the-caribbean_max50

Tetra021

These are great tips!! I can't wait to graduate college and apply for a police department. Im applying @ the county jail at the moment and may stick with corrections for a few years to gain experience.

• Knightthinblueline_25_-_copy_max50

Tcop77

When I started out almost twenty years ago........rookies were seen and not heard. Pretty much kept a low profile and never offered my opinion to seasoned veterans, unlike today's newbies who offer it no matter what. I'd just soak up any and all advise veterans would throw my way.
    Hey, I know it's tough to keep your mouth shut when you're 21-25, and you may feel you'll teach these old dogs new tricks, but believe me.........they've already experienced and tried most anything you can think of..
    Tips number three and four, live by them for a few years out of the academy.
    Wish you the best in your career CESAROTZ211, but sure hope you don't type your offense, incident, and arrest reports in all caps.
    Guess some agencies don't mind it. At least you have a good attitude. Remember to relax and take a deep breath now and then. You may not be in a twelve or fourteen week structured FTO program, but your every move right now is being critiqued. Just take the advice with a good attitude and you'll do fine.
    Soon you'll be popping out narratives on autopilot.

• Htc_020_max50

CESAROTZ211

I'VE BEEN ON PATROL FOR MY 3RD DAY NOW AND JUST A LIL NERVOUS ESPECIALLY WITH THE NARRATIVE ON THE REPORTS CAUSE YOUR SUPERIORS ARE JUST LOOKING OVER YOUR SHOULDERS.
    SINCE WE DONT HAVE AN FTO PROGRAM IM LEARNING AS I GO WITH THE OTHER OFFICERS. I WILL TAKE ALL COMENTS AND ADVICE I CAN GET.

• Pug_max600_max50

DALLASCRANE

19380 Comments

The emotional turmoil is at times more difficult than the physical. Have someone to talk to.

• Kenny_1_max50

inv_leon

One can read a lot of books-whether or not the one can see the knowledge to obtain is yet a whole nother subject

• Batman-logo_max50

batman49313

I think the best pieces of information in this article are Be confident...But not cocky. As a former FTO, my favorite OIT's to train were those who were eager to learn and especially were confident enough to apply what I had taught them even if I had explained it to them minutes prior to the situation. Accept, and sometimes it's even a good idea to ask for, constructive criticism from your FTO, and whatever you're told, use it and don't let your mistakes get you down. Also, you need to know that the scumbags on the street can always tell who's the rookie...but confidence without cockiness will put a stop to that. Remember, it all comes with time. We all made rookie mistakes at one time, and before you know it rolling through your calls will be as natural as breathing. Never forget the fatal flaws you're taught in the academy, 3 years later I still remind myself of them if i catch myself showing one from time to time. Good luck to any fresh officers who read this, and always remember your top priority is to get the job done, but come home in one piece!

• 1a_max50

badgeoflife

#1 -- Learn how to take care of yourself emotionally. See a therapist at least once a year for a "mental health check."

Great information!!

• American_first_responder2_max50

trooperman911

Being willing to listen and learn, this is great advice and being able to accept constructive criticism, as this alone evaluates your personal performance and helps you as a rookie to grow, and gain valuable experience. BUMP also what Chief Dennis had to say in his comment. All of these are useful tools to help anyone gain in their personal knowledge and do the best job desired.

suarez13 received a gift from SE851, 1 minute ago.
373046_26738651698_2132900450_q_1__max30
SE851 commented on: "alec suarez", 1 minute ago.
373046_26738651698_2132900450_q_1__max30
SE851 commented on: "alec suarez", 1 minute ago.
373046_26738651698_2132900450_q_1__max30
SE851 commented on: "Dave Hanson", 23 minutes ago.
steve347 received the quiz result of "You did not receive a passing score", about 1 hour ago.