Become a Cop >> Browse Articles >> 10 Steps to Joining the Force for Military Service Members

Step 10: Common Hurdles Faced by Veterans

Step 10: Common Hurdles Faced by Veterans

PoliceLink and Military.com

If you’re like most military service members, you’ve spent your entire working career in the military. You know how it works and you know how to work with it. Getting out and entering the civilian world can be daunting to think about. You’ll hit your fair share of hurdles along the way. As long as you expect them, they should be easier to overcome.

We asked a few veterans who are now sworn law enforcement officers some of the things they ran into during their transition into civilian law enforcement. We hope these tips help better prepare you for your own journey into the most rewarding career of your life.

Starting at the bottom

Starting at the bottom

PTSD

Being considered overly aggresive

After moving your way up through the ranks, be prepared to start at the bottom all over again. This applies to officers and enlisted service members alike. You will be considered the “rookie” for the next few years and will have to earn the respect of the LEOs you are now working with. And be sure you can take a practical joke.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is one of those things that people often don’t want to talk about. If you served in a combat zone or otherwise feel that you could be suffering from PTSD, seek help. Don’t be ashamed about it. It can be overcome, but not if you refuse to do anything about it.

Military.com has pulled together a lot of great resources about combat zone PTSD that can help you find the treatment you may need.

Being considered overly aggressive

Many agencies are paying closer attention to personnel who are returning to active law enforcement service after being called to active duty and deployed to combat zones. The actual number of cases of returning veterans acting aggressively are few and far between, but because of the liability involved, agencies don’t wish to take chances. You may be subjected to additional interviews or monitoring if you’ve served in a combat zone. Don’t take it personally, and do what you can to alleviate any concerns.

Previous: Fitness

© 2008, PoliceLink and Military.com

Hampton56

6 months ago

Man, I wish I had known all of this before I got out. I've been out for a year now, and I am finally figuring out what I want to do. Of course, having PTSD, a lot of people told me I could never be a LEO. It wasn't until meeting several officers with PTSD that I found hope. Now that I have the hope, I am making the steps. But it does put me 1-2 years behind everyone else. Oh well. Gives me time to make sure I am top notch and ready to serve again. Here's hoping it won't all be for naught.

• Photo_user_banned_big

zhouyun

To carry on a Chanel Handbagsin hand would be undoable to assure that high status that you appear, it is the excellent design in styles and materials that applied which make the bags excellent. Go right down to own yourself one Chanel bags, and you would can used for quite many years without out of fashion. Chanel Outlet series would be a great choice.

bikecop45

As a retired military NCO plus nearly 20 years in law enforcement I have been there and fortunate to make the transition, I had to start at the bottom too and it was somewhat of a change for me. I can say I have been called "officias" too!

That is just the way you turn out. Most civilians don't know that in the military, you drill, drill, drill and have exercise after exercise, if your a supervisor, you train your people until they can perform their skills in their sleep and dreams in some cases. As for whether it is officer safety or defensive driving, there are certain military skills we take and use also as survival skills very seriously, whereever we tend to transition in civilian life.

Timm

were can i get signed up at

Timm

it sounds like a lot of work but im will to do what it takes

StatS

Thanks for that comment made by the first person in the bottom. It is the truth, and once you step back into Civilian world you are starting in the bottom again.

• Th_a11845d-lg-b_max50

NiteWolf

Good to know. Thanks for the post

• Kenna_082_max50

johnkenna1980

AT this point I am looking for a law enforcement job and finding that going from one to the other I will have to go a few months without a career job. It all is very daunting even though I have already applied for a position in beaumont texas.

vshort

This is exactly what I needed to hear three years ago and I will pass this wisdom on, to other veterans who are transitioning to the civilian sector regardless of the field of specialty. Thank you Police Link.

gregorypaige

Having worked in law enforcement in the State of Georgia, rising to the rank of LT., I find that most Sheriffs feel intimidated by military personnel, especially if you are a retiree. You are not promoted based upon what you know, it is who the Sheriff wants to be the LT and SGTs. Forget about a college degree, being physically fit and being highly decorated while on active duty. All that is over.

Snoopy_6_max30
Jonas submitted the article: "Corrections Department To Pay $50K in Sexual Harassment Suit", 14 minutes ago.
mkm007 commented on: mkm007's photo: "MEXICAN LR", 14 minutes ago.
Img_0425_max30
MrsBristol commented on: "Arnita Bristol", 15 minutes ago.
mkm007 commented on: "Kaye Mull", 16 minutes ago.
Me_max30
denise65 commented on: "Chad Pusey", 22 minutes ago.